Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Interesting Business Meeting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I am a pastor wayne
Brother James,
In this day and age, it is wise to disclose all finances to the congregation. Since the beginning of the church I pastor, we have always disclosed every penny that is spent and that includes salaries every month. The congregation has always responded well to this information and the giving has continually increased over the years. They are at ease when it comes to money in the church.
As a DO for my area, I have already had to deal with members and churches where the pastor will not disclose the finances of the church. To me this causes the congregation to hold back if they don't know how much is being paid out and how much the pastor is being paid.
Acts Enthusiast
1/6/16 8:42 am

Post Well with all due respect brotherjames
To you both, I humbly disagree. My situation is hardly in the realm of Furtik (sp) and Elevation church. I make less than the avg. Principal of a local school. I live in a nice home but before I went into the ministry I made a 6 figure income in the 80's and I invested well and I have told curious people that as they have driven psst my house to check out my standard of living. I drive a 10 yr old car too as does.my wife. In fact back in 2010 as a result of the recession my entire staff and I had our salaries cut in order to meet our other obligations and we let the congregation know it. Since the I have restored staff salaries to their former status but not mine and let the congregation know it. Our income has always gone up over the last 15 yrs I have been here except 2009-10 during the recession. Here is one problem I have encountered in the past. We used to publish salaries and one day my new young youth pastor told me he didn't feel he was getting paid enough ( he was) and after I shared there was no more available funds even if I was inclined to raise his oay, he suggested that since I was making x I should reduce my salary and give the difference to him. If I had been paying him poverty wages I might actually have done that but I wasn't. He was really judging me for what I was being paid. This is more of the problem. My church has never indicated they want to know salaries and frankly when you take the total salaries reported and divvy it out between 10 people it's pretty obvious no e of us are living too high on the hog. I disagree adamantly with several of the points made in the blog Bonnie. They might apply to a mega church like elevation but I also think they don't apply to the avg small to medium size church. I remember my own mother complaining about her methodist church pastor getting a new parsonage once. It was nearly the same house she lived in and I said why shouldn't he have a decent home like you? He had a PhD and was making a modest income. She replied and this is why I don't report my income, I pay his salary and he's making too much now. As I said, if you don't trust the church with the finances leave it but I've never had anyone leave over that. Acts-celerater
1/6/16 9:42 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I disagree adamantly with several of the points made in the blog Bonnie.

I wasn't posting to suggest your church was anything like Elevation Church. I know it's not.
Nor do I agree necessarily with everything on the blog post, but I think it is good to get a different perspective at times to broaden our own.
The ladies who do the blog both have MBA's, so they have a much different perspective than mine. They are advocates for victims of abusive churches, so they have come to some of their opinions in the crucible of that pain. I don't think either of the blog writers attend mega churches and are probably quite familiar with small to mid-size churches.

I do find it interesting that the disagreement of the ones who have posted in this thread is NOT divided along the line of pastor/non-pastor. For example, Da Sheik, wayne, Quiet Wyatt, and sheepdogandy are pastors, and they posted in favor of full transparency. C6th, Cojak, and I are not pastors and posted in favor of full transparency.

I'm not sure why you are comparing the job of pastor with school principal.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/6/16 10:11 am

Post Comparing brotherjames
because one of the reference points many use to determine salaries is public school teachers/administrators because of similar education, responsibilities and locally determined salaries. Some have suggested a pastor should be paid the equivalent of a local principal or other administrator (supt) when possible as it is a reasonably fair indicator of local values. As to other pastors on here advocating for FULL transparency is fine but I might suggest that they could possibly be in a lower strata financially (although I have no way of knowing) and some are bi-vocational. I started out that way and even then, my Board suggested it wasn't necessary to reveal our salaries. I have found wisdom in their suggestions over the years. I did have one man who was adamant that i reveal my salary, as a result i privately told him. His issue was that he had the impression I was woefully underpaid (he was right at the time) and he became an advocate to increase my pay. But that is not generally the situation. Usually, people are just nosy and it just adds a level of issues that in my opinion are unnecessary. Acts-celerater
1/6/16 10:52 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have never heard any truly good reason to keep anything secret with regard to local church finances. An arrogant staff member demanding more money just needs to be firmly put in his place or perhaps let go. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/6/16 11:01 am

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I have never heard any truly good reason to keep anything secret with regard to local church finances. An arrogant staff member demanding more money just needs to be firmly put in his place or perhaps let go.

Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/6/16 11:08 am

Post Wyatt brotherjames
Quote:
I have never heard any truly good reason to keep anything secret with regard to local church finances. An arrogant staff member demanding more money just needs to be firmly put in his place or perhaps let go.

He was. Wink
Acts-celerater
1/6/16 11:11 am

Post ... Aaron Scott

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 1/6/16 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/6/16 11:22 am

Post c6thplayer1
I guess when John doe starts asking for more money because so and so gets a lot more than him or we have a secular comparison of different professions , it is then we should as ourselves; " Are we Merchants or Servants of our Lord ?" Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/6/16 11:33 am

Post not sure what ou mean exactly but brotherjames
1Tim 5:17-18 KJV Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. (18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. Acts-celerater
1/6/16 12:01 pm

Post c6thplayer1
We recently moved to a new larger location. Every month we have a business meeting where full disclosure of our finances are passed out to everyone.

I noticed that our janitor was being paid the same as she was in our old building. Our new building has twice the area to clean. I made a motion that we increase her pay. The motion passed by everyone.

Had we not published a detailed list of our finances this definitely would have been over looked. So there are definite advantages of full disclosure that far surpass pleasing some naysayer. It just takes someone to stand up for what is right.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/6/16 12:20 pm

Post Re: I didn't misread the post Nature Boy Florida
brotherjames wrote:
I stand by my statement. My salary is NOT the business of individual congregants. We elect a board who has that as their pervue. I know I am underpaid and not hiding anything but I would not reveal it as a matter of principle. That information is not necessary for the avg. Congregant. Suffice it to say a pastor should be paid as well as a church is able. But why stir up contention just because someone feels entitled to information because he tithes. And I can deal with it but why open that can of worms in the first place. There will always be people who will think it's too much because they are petty.

Sorry man - if you want to work at a non-profit - you salary should be ready available to any contributor.

If some folks want to be contentious - that is their problem - not yours.

I worked for a govt entity and a public educational institution. Our newspaper publishes the salary of every individual every year in either of those entities. I wish they didn't - but the public has the right - even if most don't have the interest.

A person donating money to an organization has the right to know how that money is spent - to the detail if they want.

Get with the program.

Last edited by Nature Boy Florida on 1/6/16 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
1/6/16 2:28 pm

Post Hey nbf brotherjames
Laughing Laughing Laughing Acts-celerater
1/6/16 3:11 pm

Post wayne
Cojak wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Thumb Up
Thumb Up
Acts Enthusiast
1/6/16 3:30 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic