Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Where's the sodium?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Where's the sodium? Link
I'm in the PhD lab, so I'm eating some Progresso soup out of a can. My question is, where is the sodium. This stuff needs some salt, and I don't have any. It's got 660 something or other--grams I'm assuming, though I can't read the fine print--of sodium. I don't know what 660 grams of salt means practically, and I'm not worried about it.

As far as I know, I don't have a heart problem. I'm skeptical of the idea that salt has that much impact on heart problems anyway. I hear the relationship is very minute. I should be able to eat as much salt as I want within reason. What's the deal with all the educed sodium in these products. The can advertizes low fat and that's fine. But they should put a big warning label on it if it's low sodium and you have to add your own salt so you'll be prepared.
12/29/15 9:26 pm

Post Cojak
I'm with you Link, I think the Lord used salt Smile God liked it enough to use it as an example of 'no flavor'.
I smiled when our family (that does consume salt) got together after a funeral and a nephew said, "The DArnell family is here and only one salt shaker?"

But 660 grams? you must have misread it. That is about a pound and a half methinks.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/29/15 9:57 pm

Post Cojak
Could you have missed the decimal with your 'OLD EYES'? Very Happy
.660g ?
12/29/15 10:01 pm

Post Cojak
Ah your eyes are bad my friend, that is 660mg, I did have to get the magnifying glass LOL

Yeah you need some salt, that is 0.00002328 oz of salt. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
12/29/15 10:04 pm

Post c6thplayer1
What PHD Lab are you in Link? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/29/15 10:37 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Progresso probably thinks you want it that way, since according to the FDA and WHO you should eat a max of around 2 grams of salt per day, and according to the American Heart Association, you should eat a max of 1.5 grabs per day.

Your instinctive skepticism is clearly correct, though. In fact, according to a study of more than 100,000 people, you are more likely to die from all causes if you eat the recommended amount of salt than if you were to eat in excess of 7 grams per day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/upshot/dash-of-salt-does-no-harm-extremes-are-the-enemy.html

Your skepticism about a link between sodium and heart disease appears correct, as well. A study of over 2,600 people with an average age of 74 showed no significant increase in cardiovascular disease, heart failure, or death for elderly folks eating 2,300mg of salt daily vs. 1,500mg of salt. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/salt-may-not-affect-heart-risks/

But, yeah, as Cojak said, if you ate 660 grams that's pretty well-salted and you might want to ease up a bit. Wink
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/30/15 5:18 am

Post Link
You guys may be right about the mg thing. I threw the can away so I don't know for sure. A kilogram would be about 2.2 pounds. That's the only way I can get a concept of how much a gram is. I'm at the University of Hawaii, btw.

I don't worry about too much salt intake as far is my health is concerned. Maybe if I ate too much, I'd retain water or something like that.

I talked to a woman once who said she'd passed out before from low blood pressure. She said later in the conversation that she tried to not eat too much sugar or too much salt. I asked her if she had low blood pressure, why would she worry about sodium intake, since that was associated with high blood pressure?
12/30/15 6:09 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Don't eat food from a can. The only thing I eat from a can is if it's 100% organic and natural but it's very rare. Eat natural, what God has made for us if you are concerned about your health. Acts-pert Poster
12/30/15 7:42 am

Post Link
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Don't eat food from a can. The only thing I eat from a can is if it's 100% organic and natural but it's very rare. Eat natural, what God has made for us if you are concerned about your health.

It's not my preference. But as long as canned food isn't too heavy in preservatives (other than natural things like salt and vinegar), I don't see it as a major health concern to eat it occasionally. My grandmother would 'can' green beans in a mason jar.

I don't eat a lot of canned food. My wife loves to cook and she is good at it. We eat a lot of fresh stuff. I did have a few cans in the PhD lab in case I ran out of good leftovers to take with me or if I was in a hurry.
12/31/15 2:55 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Like I have said....if the ingredients look like a chemistry experiment, it's probably not good for you.

What preservatives did she add to the green beans?
Acts-pert Poster
12/31/15 3:19 pm

Post Link
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Like I have said....if the ingredients look like a chemistry experiment, it's probably not good for you.

What preservatives did she add to the green beans?

My grandmother? I don't know exactly, but I doubt she added anything you wouldn't find in a normal kitchen. I think she just used salt and a canner, one of those big pot things. I don't think it had any preservatives that weren't actually food. But that was my grandmother.

I remember her dill pickles had cucumbers, dill, salt, vinegar, water, and one hot pepper and a clove or two of garlic. She canned those in mason jars, too.

I've never canned pickles. I've only made refrigerator pickles. I like to add a little mustard seed to the dill. It gives it that extra flavor.
1/1/16 12:01 am

Post Eddie Robbins
That's right! All natural. Companies don't do that and add all kinds of junk to your "food." Think about it. If the expiration date is 2 years, how could anything healthy be in it? I think canned goods are killing people. Acts-pert Poster
1/1/16 8:38 am

Post Cojak
There was a heap of difference in mama's canning and canned food. Also for awhile even some folk down south switched to 'tin cans', but most stayed with mason.kerr jars.

I was raised on 'canned food' and am pretty healthy, other than cannot hear. The only preservatives I know in mama's canned:Beans,corn,tomatoes, okra and pickles was salt, if that is a preservative in veggies. Dad continued to raise a hog every year for our pork meat. He used SALT (tons of it) to cure the meat. Mama dried her own apples, no preservatives.

The only major problem with mama's southern cooking was Lard, but who knew it was bad for you?

Of course anything that makes soap and fries eggs should be suspect, right?

Confused
1/1/16 12:30 pm

Post Link
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Progresso probably thinks you want it that way, since according to the FDA and WHO you should eat a max of around 2 grams of salt per day, and according to the American Heart Association, you should eat a max of 1.5 grabs per day.

Your instinctive skepticism is clearly correct, though. In fact, according to a study of more than 100,000 people, you are more likely to die from all causes if you eat the recommended amount of salt than if you were to eat in excess of 7 grams per day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/upshot/dash-of-salt-does-no-harm-extremes-are-the-enemy.html

I'd also question whether the high sodium diets even caused some of those health issues. Correlation does not prove causation. It could be that the people who eat 7 grams of sodium per day eat it in really fatty hamburgers or on the fries that go with them, or in some other unhealthy foods that cause the actual health issues.

The type of person who consumes a lot of salt may be the type who eats a lot of something else that is truly unhealthy.
1/2/16 3:00 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic