Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Roman Catholic Funerals More Biblical?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Roman Catholic Funerals More Biblical? Link
I go to a church with a man whose son died on the mainland. The son had been a student for two years at a local Roman Catholic school where his mother worked. I'd never been to a Roman Catholic Church service.

They started off with a Hawaiian language song and a hymn followed by eulogies from parents, a friend, and a couple of faculty members. Then they performed a liturgy with a priest.

I went to Christian school in 8th grade and studied Reformation history. Luther was portrayed as the good guy. Roman Catholics taught transubstantiation, did let the congregation partake of the cup, and were responsible for all kinds of corruption. Of course, they prayed to Mary, prayed to and for the dead, etc.

At the funeral they had a band of ukuleles and other instruments that played hymns using somewhat contemporary arrangements and sang. I knew a couple of hymns, "Praise God from Whom All Blessing Flow" and they closed with a rendition of "Amazing Grace." I didn't know the rest of the hymns in the liturgy. But I can't think of anything that was theologically objectionable.

Something I really appreciated about the liturgy was that it was very resurrection focused. Jesus died, and they said this young man had been baptized into Christ, and prayed that he would rise again, and believed that he would rise again. The liturgy said that he'd partaken of the body and blood of the Lord, and they prayed that he'd have life, and believed that he would have life.

I notice the prayers for the dead were along the lines of ...'You promised this to us, Lord. We ask that you'd do as you promised.' Those weren't the words. That seemed to be the gist of prayers for the dead. They also prayed that God would do what he promised for all believers. The liturgy was a mix of asking the Lord to do what He said He would, and expressing belief that He would do what He said He would do.

The only references to saints I heard was a prayer that we'd be resurrected along with Mary, Joseph, the apostles, and certain other saints.

I have been to various 'Protestant' funerals, meaning Baptist and Pentecostal. It seems like the focus is on 'going to heaven when you die'. That is not the focus of the New Testament. Paul tells us what to say to each other when we comfort one another at the death of a fellow believer.

Quote:

I Thessalonians 4
6 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

I'm a little surprised these verses didn't make it into the RCC liturgy I heard today. But the focus of the content was consistent with these verses, a focus on the dead rising to be with Christ.

So it seems to me that in this one aspect, RCC funerals may have more of a Biblical focus. Instead of focusing on eternal disembodied bliss in heaven, the RCC liturgy was focused on Jesus dying and rising again, and the saints dying and rising again as scripture teaches. I was presently surprised at how un-weird RCC liturgy was. It also reminded me how important it is for Pentecostals to get back to the Gospel, to get back to the focus on the resurrection of Christ, which is absent is some supposed presentations of the Gospel, and also to get back to the focus on the return of Christ and that of the dead loved one when comforting believers after a believer dies.

Last edited by Link on 1/19/16 5:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Acts-perienced Poster
1/18/16 6:54 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Of course, they prayed to marry,...

Freudian slip.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/18/16 7:00 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
When called upon to perform a funeral service for a Christian, I always focus on the resurrection and the promise of Heaven and the coming fullness of the Kingdom of God for those who are in Christ.

At the Roman Catholic funeral I attended a few months ago, the priest talked about purgatory mainly, and exhorted us to pray for the deceased.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/18/16 7:32 pm

Post Link
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
Of course, they prayed to marry,...

Freudian slip.

Fixed it. But maybe they do that, too, unless they take holy orders.
1/18/16 7:42 pm

Post Link
The priests said something about the deceased being an angel watching over them and praying for them.

I asked him afterwards if the RCC believed the dead became angels. I suspected not. No, they consider them to be another type of created being. I don't think he made the connection that my question was about his comment during his homily. Most of what he said was good, though. We talked about Hollywood's depiction of angels in TV shows for a bit.

I suspect RCC belief can range to fairly Biblical Christianity to synchretistic idolatry.

From watching TV, I got the impression that RCC priests typically said nice-sounding mumbo jumbo that was mostly devoid of Biblical content. But then I realized that TV wrongly portrays Baptists and Pentecostals. Fundamentalists want to beat someone and are out to condemn sinners rather than win them, and Pentecostal characters say really wacky stuff or they make them out to be homicidal. So I figured RCC priests are probably portrayed wrongly, too. Most of the religious mush we hear in films is probably more reflective of the mush in the screen writers and directors' minds than an accurate representation of any religious group.
1/18/16 7:46 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
In the area of the country where I pastor, Roman Catholicism is the majority religion by a huge margin. We regularly have kids we bus in on our church bus route who are from a Roman Catholic background or culture at least. I am often asked by some of these beautiful children if I would please pray for their grandfather or grandmother who died. I take it as an opportunity to tell them it does no good to pray for someone who has died, that we should always pray for people before they die, and that after death each of us will then face the judgement for the lives we have lived here on earth. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/18/16 7:59 pm

Post I don't have the time to do a dissertation on RC brotherjames
suffice it to say that to be absent from the body is to be in the Presence of the Lord. We are NOT waiting in some soul sleep or limbo place waiting for the return of Jesus in order to be resurrected when we die.

In addition, Catholicism is a religion of works, and they have NO concept of making it to heaven unless their families pay for masses to perhaps pray them into heaven, maybe. In addition, each time they perform a mass with the eucharist they are crucifying Christ again. So, thousands of times a day Jesus is dying again ( symbolically ) for our sins. And yet, as we know from Hebrews He died once, forever, for our transgressions and then sat down. It is finished.

I too pastored in a Catholic area (NE ohio) and some of the most vocal anti catholics were former catholics who were angry at the lies they had been told.

Can some catholics be saved, yes. But the doctrine is leading many to hell and I for one would never glorify it in the way Link has. I vehemently disagree with his assertions.
Acts-celerater
1/19/16 10:17 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nope, RC funerals ain't more biblical. Acts-pert Poster
1/19/16 11:39 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic