Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Hughes/Lowery: A Brief Comparison and Assessment

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Hughes/Lowery: A Brief Comparison and Assessment Old Time Country Preacher
This was posted way down in another thread, but it warrants a thread of its own.

I believe Rev TL Lowery to be a man of God. No one--certainly not I--is questioning his integrity, commitment, love for God, etc. The very first camp meeting I attended as a young timer (sommers around 11-13 years old, I don't remember exactly), was preached by Rev Lowery. I've been in many other meetins where he preached. He has prayed for the ole timer in one a his prayer lines. No question at all that he loved God. So, before the SCUD missiles begin to be launched at the ole timer, I offer the following observation from a pure heart, with no animosity (or snarkiness, Tom), because I too respect Rev TL Lowery for his service to the Kingdom.

That said, my personal opinion, is that his ministry/preaching is "one" of the reasons (certainly not the only one, nor the main one, there are many) that aspects of Word of Faith teaching/doctrine/practice have become commonplace among so many COG ministers/parishioners. I can trace the belief system of quite a few in my region directly to the ministry/style/teaching of Rev Lowery. He was never "full-blown" Word of Faith like Copeland and ilk, but he did indeed lean in "some aspects of his teaching/preaching" toward "certain WOF beliefs." Many COG persons had great respect for him because of his style of "Power Evangelism." And this led to many often embracing other aspects of his preaching/teaching.

In juxtaposition to Dr Ray Hughes, who was just as dynamic a preacher (in my own opinion, Hughes was a much greater pulpiteer than Lowery), Hughes never leaned toward WOF beliefs. He preached powerfully, stepped back, and allowed the Holy Spirit to do whatever he would. Lowery on the other hand was personally engaged--really the centerpiece--of an altar service where he had preached. This led, I believe, many to elevate him in their own minds, which led to embracing other aspects of his ministry that tended to be more WOF.

Yet, all that said, I still respect his commitment to the Kingdom.
Acts-pert Poster
1/18/16 11:18 am

Post Cojak
Shocked In accepting your 'critique' in the spirit it is given I do tend to agree. And for reasons and observations of my own over the years. Embarassed

(However it is tough to critique the 'folks considered up the ladder' with out the arrows being sent one's way. We can do it politically, but in our church, not so much!) STANDBY FOR INCOMING! Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/18/16 1:29 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Hughes and Lowery had different ministries.

Both were effective.

That said - I have never been a proponent of any minister that prays with the laying on of hands - and physically pushes the head backwards - sometimes resulting in the person seemingly slain in the spirit.

I just didn't see it in scripture - and it was rare that any noticeable difference had taken place on the person that was "slain".

Feel free to attack. but that is how I see it.

I have met T L personally - and I love the guy.
Hughes is my all time favorite minister.
1/18/16 5:16 pm

Post Re: Hughes/Lowery: A Brief Comparison and Assessment Old Time Country Preacher
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
with no animosity (or snarkiness, Tom), because I too respect Rev TL Lowery for his service to the Kingdom.

I learned that word from Bonnie... Smile

I had to look it up the first time you used it. Wink
Acts-pert Poster
1/18/16 6:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic