Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The meaning of "Eutychus" of Acts 20:9 (fell from window and died while Paul preached), is "Lucky."

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The meaning of "Eutychus" of Acts 20:9 (fell from window and died while Paul preached), is "Lucky." doyle
A minister friend once told me that he went to a Norval Hayes meeting. Norval preached for four hours.

"Wow," I responded. "That must have been fantastic."

"No," he exclaimed. "I thought I was gonna die! It was great for over an hour and then it just went on and on and on and on."

Smile Well, that may have been the case in Acts 20:9, when Apostle Paul held forth for hours and hours. He was visiting the area and most likely didn't know if he would ever get to come by that way again. He had spent three months in Greece, but in Acts 20:9, only had a few days.

Obviously, there were no phones or email and even snail mail in those days was very unreliable. So, Paul wanted to get in all he could. There are indications that Eutychus was possibly a slave or endendured servant. If so, he most likely had worked hard all day.

The Scripture never says Eutychus was uninterested. In fact, he may have perched on a high place so he could see and hear better. In those days, the Sabbath began at Sundown Friday and went until Sundown Saturday. So, the meeting may have gone into the early hours of the morning.

Do you remember times of being so enthused about the Lord and hearing the Word of God preached, that we stayed long past bedtime rejoicing and praying in the altar? Sometimes as a young person, even though I was totally caught up in a worship service, after working hard all day, I would nod off in spite of all I could do. Maybe that was what was going on with Eutychus.

Soooooooo, Brother "Lucky" fell and plunged to his death. Lucky for him that he was in the midst of a miracle-believing people and a faith-believing preacher. They had the courage to pray for his recovery.

Shouldn't all of we faith-believing, miracle-believing people be like that? While none of us can promise that someone will receive a miracle, we can ask God for one on their behalf. Scripture says, "You have not because you ask not."

Listen, when making my rounds at our hospital, I pray for many people every day. Honestly, only a few have received a visible miracle, but had I not asked, most likely none of them would. In a hospital setting, we must be careful not to promise a miracle but we can remind those who are believers that people have received miracles; in the Bible and since then. The same God that did those miracles, is still on the Throne.

It seems Brother Eutychus had the right name, but miracles are far more than luck. He was blessed to be in that kind of fellowship when he fell down.

At some time or another, all of us fail down. We slip off our secure base and sometimes face the terror of things falling apart. Who we fellowship with can help determine what kind of recovery we experience.

Doyle
1/18/16 12:17 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic