Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"LUCIFER" is the original name of Satan? Is there Scripture for that?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "LUCIFER" is the original name of Satan? Is there Scripture for that? doyle
In the "Wacky Revelations" thread started by poster "diakoneo", viewers are listing various so-called "revelations" from the pulpit. Poster "UncleJD," shared that he had heard that "Lucifer is the original name of Satan." http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=84324

UncleJD: "I heard it said that "Lucifer is the original name of Satan." (True it's pretty well accepted and not really a "wacky revelation", but its not easily founded on scripture, and in the end, proof that even Protestants accept some things from "tradition" and not only scripture)."

Is what UncleJD heard, true? Is there Scripture to back that up. Possibly viewers can share from Scripture when that supposed name-change took place.
1/15/16 4:17 pm

Post Something to consider... maqqebet
Lucifer is not taken from the original Hebrew Helel, and the root halal, meaning shine, and represents the giving off of light by celestial bodies. As a proper name it is rendered “day-star” in ESV, HCSB, “star” in NASB.

Lucifer is from the Latin Vulgate but interesting to note it is retained as a proper name in the AV (KJV). Originally meaning “shining, bright, clear.”

So, in this case, the KJ did not translate from the original language.

Ironically, the title “Day Star” is used of Jesus as “the bright morning star” (Revelation 22:16)

Some believe it is actually a reference to the planet Venus.

In context of Isaiah 14 it is a reference to the King of Babylon.

Some believe the passage has a double reference, one to the King of Babylon and then to Satan, thus recording Satan’s fall to earth. (Compare with Ezekiel where some teach reference to the King of Tyre also serves as a double reference, 28:12f).

Lucifer/Satan becomes God’s archenemy and a symbol of rebellion.

Satan’s fall (along with the angels) is a theme found OT Pseudepigrapha literature, which is captured in Revelation 12.

Lucifer as Satan is a principle character in Dante’s Inferno (14th-century) as well as Milton’s Paradise Lost (1667)

From the original Hebrew and the reference to the King of Babylon there is no evidence Satan was held in view and only becomes a double reference through tradition, perhaps heavily influenced by the Latin Bible.
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/16 2:01 am

Post Re: Something to consider... diakoneo
maqqebet wrote:

From the original Hebrew and the reference to the King of Babylon there is no evidence Satan was held in view and only becomes a double reference through tradition, perhaps heavily influenced by the Latin Bible.

And much tradition is preached as Bible. I have always heard it to be truth and not tradition. I did not find out otherwise until I studied it for myself.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/16/16 2:12 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Wait a minute, you mean Perry isn't telling the.......................... Laughing Laughing Laughing Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 2:24 pm

Post Re: Something to consider... UncleJD
diakoneo wrote:
maqqebet wrote:

And much tradition is preached as Bible. I have always heard it to be truth and not tradition. I did not find out otherwise until I studied it for myself.

Which brings me to another point from the other topic that you hear from Hagee among others that Satan originally had all kinds of instruments in his body and was the praise and worship leader in Heaven..." Claims that really add to the sermon I guess, but have very little Biblical foundation.
1/16/16 2:52 pm

Post Re: Something to consider... Old Time Country Preacher
UncleJD wrote:

Which brings me to another point from the other topic that you hear from Hagee among others that Satan originally had all kinds of instruments in his body and was the praise and worship leader in Heaven..." Claims that really add to the sermon I guess, but have very little Biblical foundation.

This is true, where do you think the tambourine originated. Mr. Green
Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 3:04 pm

Post Re: Something to consider... c6thplayer1
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

And from the tambourine came the advent of the weak-end musician.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/16/16 5:11 pm

Post Re: Something to consider... UncleJD
UncleJD wrote:

1/16/16 7:27 pm

Post UncleJD
Hagee was right!

1/16/16 7:29 pm

Post Re: Something to consider... diakoneo
c6thplayer1 wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

And from the tambourine came the advent of the weak-end musician.

Laughing Laughing
1/16/16 9:06 pm

Post I am afraid, maqqebet
you guys are not giving the serious consideration of the subject Doyle was hoping to receive.
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/16 9:50 pm

Post Re: I am afraid, UncleJD
maqqebet wrote:
you guys are not giving the serious consideration of the subject Doyle was hoping to receive.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail, I thought it was pretty clear that there is no scripture that confirms Lucifer is the name of Satan pre-fall, all that we have is the "double-meaning" theory and tradition. I will say that I think he probably accepts it though, it gives him some cred that he probably doesn't deserve.
1/17/16 12:50 am

Post I've always preferred roughridercog
Old split foot to all the other monikers
1/17/16 7:09 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic