Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

A Must Read for those who Preach/Teach: The Problem with Eisegesis (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A Must Read for those who Preach/Teach: The Problem with Eisegesis (L) Old Time Country Preacher
http://www.churchleadership.org/apps/articles/?articleid=67933&columnid=4624

Herein lies the reason for so much of the error/ignorance/foolishness that permeates the Pentecostal/Charismatic world!
Acts-pert Poster
1/15/16 11:39 am

Post Cojak
Just my opinion, I think many who say they are Exegete(rs) are also Eisegete(rs).

Pretty hard for the neophyte to tell the difference. So we must look to the 'preacher's (teacher's) life', and most times feel 'good' that he is telling us the truth.

But then, even we, who cannot define the two words, know to honor Him, Serve Him and Worship HIM, our SAVIOR! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/15/16 12:39 pm

Post Must smile.... Aaron Scott
I often find that those with the "best" educations are the ones that will make statements with nary a "my opinion" or "I see it this way" added to it.

I have found that it is often the least educated of men that place the greatest worth on the scriptures. Their mind is not filled with textual criticism and questions about inspiration or what have you. They believe it is the literal Word of God, and they respect it as such! And so they handle the Word carefully.

Our forefathers in the Church of God were not academics. Yet they have delivered to us what I believe is the best of any denominational doctrine. John MacArthur, OTCP's brother-in-arms, has the chops...and gets it DEAD WRONG.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/15/16 2:28 pm

Post Re: Must smile.... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
I often find that those with the "best" educations are the ones that will make statements with nary a "my opinion" or "I see it this way" added to it.

I have found that it is often the least educated of men that place the greatest worth on the scriptures. Their mind is not filled with textual criticism and questions about inspiration or what have you. They believe it is the literal Word of God, and they respect it as such! And so they handle the Word carefully.

Our forefathers in the Church of God were not academics. Yet they have delivered to us what I believe is the best of any denominational doctrine. John MacArthur, OTCP's brother-in-arms, has the chops...and gets it DEAD WRONG.

Least educated men place the greatest worth on scriptures? This is ludicrous and laughable, Aaron. There are many uneducated men who revere the scriptures, and there are many educated men who do the same and handle the Word with extreme care.

No, our COG forefathers were not academics, and God used them. Many COG men today are academics, and God uses them. It is not an either/or proposition.

Why would you berate J-Mac and call him my brother-in-arms? Ive never even met the feller.
Acts-pert Poster
1/15/16 3:22 pm

Post OTCP...you're wrong. Again. Aaron Scott
Quote:
Least educated men place the greatest worth on scriptures? This is ludicrous and laughable, Aaron. There are many uneducated men who revere the scriptures, and there are many educated men who do the same and handle the Word with extreme care.

First, MOST Christians are not highly educated. Would you have us believe, OTCP, that they place less value on the scriptures than the educated? The apostles were unlearned men. Did they place great value on the scriptures?

No one is arguing that educated men don't ALSO place worth on the scriptures. But in my experience, it it the common, usually uneducated, believer that has truly put their trust in the scriptures. It is far more to them than just something to argue about.

No, our COG forefathers were not academics, and God used them. Many COG men today are academics, and God uses them. It is not an either/or proposition.

Quote:
Again, no one is arguing against academics. The point raised was, to my thinking, that uneducated believers pretty much make a mess of doctrine because they aren't educated. In fact, you exact words were: Herein lies the reason for so much of the error/ignorance/foolishness that permeates the Pentecostal/Charismatic world!

You focus almost exclusively on the problems with Pentecostals--and you do it under the guise of "concern" about matters. I have to tell you that I seriously doubt you are as concerned as you say. I personally think you take some degree of delight in pointing out flaw after flaw after flaw in those who neither represent Pentecostals, nor abide by what most would consider sound doctrine.

You take the worst offenders...and act like they are somehow representative of Pentecostals. Then mock them mercilessly, even though to their own Master they stand or fall.

That's not any fairer than acting like Westboro Baptist represents Baptists.

Why would you berate J-Mac and call him my brother-in-arms? I've never even met the feller.

Quote:
No one is claiming you met him. I simply believe, purposely or not, you are a fellow traveler with his ilk--those that think Pentecostals are pretty much idiots and bearers of false doctrine. It's almost like everything you know or think about Pentecostals comes from some twisted and vile documentary from reality television.

You sure seem to be trolling for all the bad news you can deliver about Pentecostals. It's a shame, really, that you take such seeming delight in seeking to crush faith, raise doubts, and make claims that these are little more than servants of Satan. Whatever.

Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/15/16 3:55 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
First, MOST Christians are not highly educated. Would you have us believe, OTCP, that they place less value on the scriptures than the educated? The apostles were unlearned men. Did they place great value on the scriptures? No one is arguing that educated men don't ALSO place worth on the scriptures. But in my experience, it it the common, usually uneducated, believer that has truly put their trust in the scriptures. It is far more to them than just something to argue about.

Your experience is a subjective take on the issue, Aaron, and not reflective of the entire world. I simply disagree with the notion that education, in and of itself, causes one to have a lower view of Scripture

Aaron Scott wrote:
Again, no one is arguing against academics. The point raised was, to my thinking, that uneducated believers pretty much make a mess of doctrine because they aren't educated. In fact, you exact words were: “Herein lies the reason for so much of the error/ignorance/foolishness that permeates the Pentecostal/Charismatic world!” You focus almost exclusively on the problems with Pentecostals--and you do it under the guise of "concern" about matters. I have to tell you that I seriously doubt you are as concerned as you say. I personally think you take some degree of delight in pointing out flaw after flaw after flaw in those who neither represent Pentecostals, nor abide by what most would consider sound doctrine.

Aaron, the one and only reason I focus on those under the Pentecostal/Charismatic umbrella is because I am 4th Gen Pentecostal, 3rd Gen COG. The issues and specific doctrines/practices are different, but the kind of thing I focus on happens in all faith traditions. Your citation of Westboro Baptist is a fine example. Do you think I don’t know this happens everywhere? Why, even the LDS leadership would decry Warren Jeffries and his offshoot branch of Mormonism. But I’m not a Mormon or a Baptist, I’m COG, so that’s why I deal with these issues on a forum frequented by COG folk. And btw, you are incorrect about my concern. It is indeed legitimate.

Aaron Scott wrote:
]No one is claiming you met him (J-Mac). I simply believe, purposely or not, you are a fellow traveler with his ilk--those that think Pentecostals are pretty much idiots and bearers of false doctrine. It's almost like everything you know or think about Pentecostals comes from some twisted and vile documentary from reality television.

I am indeed a fellow traveler in terms of J-Mac’s focus on Scripture. But make no mistake, my view of Pentecostalism comes from a family member who lived Pentecost before me 24/7 all of my life—from a child—and it was this life that convinced me, a running rebel, that Jesus Christ is Lord of all. I am a Pentecostal today because of this person’s purity, holy life, example in prayer, and commitment to Jesus. As a child I would hear this person praying in tongues, I saw them moved upon by the Holy Spirit, and I know it is real. Then I was called by God at an early age to preach, which I’ve been doing for many years now. No, Aaron, my view of Pentecost does not come from wackos on television. It is these wackos, and those who follow them, that my polemical and apologetic diatribes address.

Aaron Scott wrote:
You sure seem to be trolling for all the bad news you can deliver about Pentecostals. It's a shame, really, that you take such seeming delight in seeking to crush faith, raise doubts, and make claims that these are little more than servants of Satan. Whatever.

Nay dear brother, not Pentecostals, but charlatans, frauds, imposters, and the like. The pursuit and confrontation of error should never crush your faith.
Acts-pert Poster
1/15/16 7:02 pm

Post bonnie knox
Well, if a parody can be transparent, I think you just were. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/16 7:26 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic