Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Speaking in Tongues Medical Study (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Speaking in Tongues Medical Study (L) Eddie Robbins
http://youtu.be/NZbQBajYnEc Acts-pert Poster
1/12/16 9:02 am

Post bonnie knox
I wonder what a brain scan would look like on an unbeliever who is told to talk gibberish or recite "Jabberwocky." Would there be less frontal lobe activity there? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/12/16 9:17 am

Post Cojak
It is pretty tough to prove Godly things using men's 'VAST' (compared to God's) knowledge. Sorta like proving where Hell or Heaven is located.

Proving God or his work is like describing wind, not the effects of wind, etc.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/12/16 11:25 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Bonnie, a real scientific test would have done that. Acts-pert Poster
1/12/16 3:12 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
So as I watched the clip, the pastor is placed on the bed, told by the researcher to pray in English. He complies. The researcher then tells him to pray in tongues. The pastor complies.

Perhaps we need to change our creedal statement to read:

We believe...In speaking with other tongues as the researcher gives direction to give utterance.
Acts-pert Poster
1/13/16 12:34 am

bonnie knox wrote:
"Jabberwocky"

Now Miss Bonnie, if you gonna speak, you need to also interpret.
Acts-pert Poster
1/13/16 12:35 am

Post bonnie knox
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
"Jabberwocky"

Now Miss Bonnie, if you gonna speak, you need to also interpret.

I reckon ya know at's a poem what's made out a made-up words. Feller named Lewis Carroll wrote it. Now if a feller was ta say that from memory, maybe his frontal lobe would be workin or maybe it wouldn't. I don't know if ya frontal lobe has ta work if ya got somethin memorized and especially somethin what don't make no sense.
Tha thing is some folks say stuff what makes me wonder if they got any of their brain workin atall. I just think this ere feller what done tha study needed to have a control group* of folks what WEREN'T prayin in the Spirit that was not really focusing like the monks and nuns were.

*control group: in scientific studies, ya have a group to compare things to
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/16 8:03 am

Post Da Sheik
One of the myriad reasons I don't believe we can speak in tongues on demand. Acts Enthusiast
1/13/16 10:13 am

Da Sheik wrote:
One of the myriad reasons I don't believe we can speak in tongues on demand.

Double Dittos!!!
Acts-pert Poster
1/13/16 10:59 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Can you stop on demand? Acts-pert Poster
1/13/16 2:43 pm

Post bonnie knox
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Can you stop on demand?

Eddie, can you clarify your question? I've heard of some people who said they could stop talking altogether on demand, but for a period of time, if they did open their mouths to speak they spoke in tongues. In other words, they couldn't stop the unknown language.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/16 2:50 pm

Post diakoneo
Da Sheik wrote:
One of the myriad reasons I don't believe we can speak in tongues on demand.

Quote:
1Co 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

I think some may conclude that this scripture infers that a person can speak in tongues on demand.

I don't.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/13/16 2:58 pm

Post Link
Do you think the Spirit is generous with the utterance?
1/13/16 3:56 pm

Post Link
I'm not sure about this but my guess is that 'tongues at will' verses tongues as an overwhelming urge is one of those differences between Holiness Pentecostalism concentrated in the southeast and the more western Pentecostalism of the A/G, Foursquare, etc.

The CH denomination had in their handbook in the 1990's something about not believing in speaking in tongues at will. I don't know if the COG denomination or the PH ever had an official statement on it, but that sort of objection to a 'prayer language' seems more common among old timers in the southeastern denominations. It seems like the denominations (that used) to believe in sanctification as a one-time thing after salvation tend to have more people against speaking in tongues 'at will.' I don't know about COGIC at all when it comes to this.

From the Bible, it is clear that it is possible to speak in tongues when it is out of order. I Corinthians 14:27-28 makes this clear. Much of the chapter leads up to this conclusion. There are times a man could speak in tongues when he shouldn't. I say this because there are some folks who will speaks in tongues without interpretation because they think the ability to do so means they are supposed to do it or else they are quenching the Spirit. A lot of Pentecostal teaching confuses the idea of emotional excitement with the moving of the Spirit. Someone's hair stands on end when the organist gets the high note, and thinks that means he/she is sinning if he/she doesn't get excited and speak in tongues.

And look at these verses in I Corinthians 14,

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

Doesn't the choice of speaking in tongues or not seem to be under Paul's control? He certainly has the choice not to if we continue to read the passage.

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

I notice that some churches in the A/G and their Bible colleges aren't in favor of mass speaking in tongues at the same time or uninterpreted tongues being used in church meetings. They tend to teach a prayer language. But in the A/G, there are people who only spoke in tongues once or a few times, and people who never have. Then there are those who can just go to prayer in tongues at any time.

In my own experience, ever since I was baptized with the Holy Ghost at age 11, I've always been able to pray in tongues.

I think we should realize that even within one 'gift' there can be a variety of manifestations. There are people who say they have great success in healing for particular ailments, backs or feet, much more so than other healings. There are people who tend to get medical words of knowledge, and some people who get personal prophecies and some who get national level stuff or whatever. Even within gifts, there is a variety. The same may be true of speaking in tongues.

Wigglesworth had hands laid on him and he spoke in tongues, but when someone asked him to later, he couldn't do it. Later, he said he got the ability speak in tongues for prayer and called that 'the gift of tongues.' I'm not sure of his labels, but I don't think we have a Biblical case for saying that everyone's experience is going to be the same. I don't see a guarantee of a 'prayer language' for everyone in the Bible. But it seems to me that Paul had that ability. But all things are possible to him that believes, and with God all things are possible.

It could be that some people can pray in tongues at any time, and other people can only do it at certain times. From scripture we see that there are times one might be able to speak in tongues when he shouldn't. Gifts need to be stewarded (I Peter 4:10.)

I suspect some A/G and Charismatic leaders were able to speak in tongues whenever they chose. It could be the climate and teaching in these movements led more faith for receiving a 'prayer language' than in the groups that taught against that idea or just had a negative attitude toward it. Maybe some of the folks who got the gift in the southeast couldn't.

Biblically, I don't see why one must think the Spirit can't give a believer the utterance every time he prays if he's gifted in that direction.
1/13/16 5:22 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
bonnie knox wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Can you stop on demand?

Eddie, can you clarify your question? I've heard of some people who said they could stop talking altogether on demand, but for a period of time, if they did open their mouths to speak they spoke in tongues. In other words, they couldn't stop the unknown language.

I'm just thinking that if Paul instructs us to only speaking in tongues 3 times in a service, he is saying that we have some sort of control over it.
Acts-pert Poster
1/13/16 5:31 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic