Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

"If the Devil tells you you're not saved...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Eddie Robbins
A lot of people are in trouble on that holiness scripture. Acts-pert Poster
1/10/16 5:25 pm

Post Herman Knapp
Well, my apologies if I came across like I was promoting "CHEAP GRACE" or a FALSE SENSE of security or a bad attitude about HOLINESS. I just asked a question. Apparently I was not very clear in asking it. Friendly Face
1/10/16 10:02 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Herman Knapp wrote:
Well, my apologies if I came across like I was promoting "CHEAP GRACE" or a FALSE SENSE of security or a bad attitude about HOLINESS. I just asked a question. Apparently I was not very clear in asking it.

Thank you for clarifying your heart.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/10/16 10:08 pm

Post Link
Tom Sterbens,

I share the same concern. I also notice that a lot of presentations of the gospel that are followed by a guarantee of salvation leave out important aspects of the Gospel and salvation as presented in scriptures like the opening verses of I Corinthians 15 or Romans 10:9-10. Can we guarantee someone salvation if we haven't told that person that Jesus rose from the dead?
1/10/16 10:52 pm

Post Theology is a minimal part of salvation, I believe.... Aaron Scott
When the Bible says that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved, that's what it means. The way I put it is this: If you are drowning, you NEVER call on Santa Claus for help. Why? Because you don't believe in Santa Claus. You are going to call on those you hope can help you. And when you call on Jesus, you are affirming, in an indirect manner that I think flows with the meaning of the verse, that Jesus is ALIVE and can help you. That is, you are believing that God IS...and that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him.

Consider if we had to have our theology correct to be saved. About half the Church of God would go to hell based on their understanding of the Trinity alone. Just as young Christians can be confused by certain words, even ministers can get caught up in just what is the difference between justification and salvation (if there is one). You get the idea.

When I baptize a person, I ask them (among other questions, perhaps): Do you believe that Jesus died for you. Do you believe that He rose again the third day and will return? Or something like that. If they say yes, I go with it (so far, all have said yes).

Why would we make salvation more difficult? If someone has the rudimentary understanding that Jesus died for their sins, rose from the dead, and loves them, and so forth, why make it a whole lot harder than that?

Further, as for repeated prayers, my friends, when Jesus' disciples came to Him to ask Him to teach them to pray, HE DID. We often repeat the Lord's Prayer. The words we say in the "sinner's prayer" are not because we think it's a formula or incantation. I know I don't. But because their are people who don't know how to pray. And even if they do, some need to be focused on what they should pray. For instance, some folks just come to our altars, I'm afraid, being broken by how their life is in ruins and they need a change. Fine, but they also need to address the solution!

Now, I am not a fan of the sinner's prayer, but people get saved anyway. We are NOT offering any cheap grace! What would you have them do? Would you have them bleed for their salvation when Jesus already did it for them? Would you have them shamefully confess every last dreaded sin in detail before the church before we declare them saved?

Does anyone think that the woman caught in adultery was not also saved by the Lord? Or Zachaeus? Or the demoniac?

I do believe in the more traditional way of being saved. But I also know that I got saved praying at a pew all by myself. The only thing anyone said to me was later...when my mother exclaimed, "Why, you got saved!" And from that moment on, I was! And not a billion devils or a million preacher will ever convince me otherwise.

When a person is saved, the Holy Spirit will guide them into all truth. Some folks are like the seed planted on rocky ground or among thorns. It WAS received. It did GROW! But then.... So, do we claim that the person never got saved to begin with and that had we only explained everything or what have you, the seed would have grown up differently. Plenty of counter-examples await you if you pursue that path. You will find people who checked everything off the list in their salvation experience, but still wound up backslidden.

To me, cheap grace is saying, "Once you get saved, you can do anything you want." It is NOT the prayer or style of the person when they receive the Lord. If they are made to understand that they need to pursue after the Lord, to get in a church that will direct them, etc., we have to leave some things up to the Lord. He is the One Who keeps us, after all. Not the church. Not the pastor, etc.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/11/16 5:56 am

Post bradfreeman
Tom Sterbens wrote:
I am not looking to legislate the moment of salvation with a particular scriptural creed....but on the other hand I think we are in danger of facilitating the immaculate deception of some sort because we value convenience above contrition. (And I know how potentially narrow minded that sounds...I hate that).

Still wrestling...

Well, at least you coined another couple of religious bumpers stickers! Laughing

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/11/16 6:07 am

Post bradfreeman
Tom Sterbens wrote:
The issue is that I sincerely do not want to be part of some deception by which a person will separated from God forever, and for which I will most certainly have to answer to God.

Separation from God is a valid concern. What separated Adam?

What separates people from God is trying to find life by your own human effort (reliance on religious rule-keeping). The idea that we be like God and can find life in our knowledge of good and evil is deception.

Gal. 5:4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

This cursed system leaves us trying, and unable, to produce life by the sweat of our brow.

Simply enough, what joins us to God and produces the fruitfulness you are concerned with is dying to reliance on that whole system of religious-rule-keeping and believing that life is a free gift He gives to those who believe what He says.

Rom. 7:4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

John 3:16 is still the simple truth.
Our determination to add our 2 cents worth to the saving process is the leaven that needs to go. We give people something to believe (we sow, we water by preaching - faith comes by hearing).
Fruit-bearing is His work.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/11/16 6:17 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Aaron,

I have no interest in trying to add to or take away one iota from the way of salvation that is revealed in the New Testament. Looking at all the evidence from the NT writings, it is clear to me that the following statements are true:

1. Sin is that which separates a man from God.

2. Holiness is the requirement for being in proper relationship with God.

3. Repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus (conversion) is how a sinner receives a restored, holy relationship with God.

4. Continuance/abiding in that right relationship with God by faith, walking and living in the power of the Holy Spirit, is how one perseveres.

Was Paul making salvation too hard when he told the Corinthians to examine themselves, whether they be in the faith, or when he said to the Romans that they must by the Spirit put to death the misdeeds of the body, and by that means they would live?

Was Peter making salvation too hard when he exhorted believers to be holy in all manner of their living, just as He who calls you is holy?

Was Jesus making salvation too hard when He said that if anyone were to follow Him, he must take up his CROSS daily? What about when He rebuked the churches in Rev. 2 and 3 and told them to repent or else he would vomit them out of His mouth, remove their lamp stand, blot out their names from the Book of Life, etc.?

Was the writer to the Hebrews making salvation too hard when he said that without following after holiness, no one shall see God?

Was John the Apostle making salvation too hard when he said that he that is begotten of God does not go on sinning?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/11/16 10:13 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic