Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

"Revivalist"

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Revivalist" LonghornFan
I recognize that there are different styles of preaching and that there is not one style that is greater than the other. However, it seems to me that there are fewer ministers who preach like the preachers who many of us grew up hearing. This post is not intended to despair any style of ministry. It is just an observation.

When I began ministry years ago, there were a lot of pastors that I considered "evangelistic" or "revivalists." They preached passionately and evangelistically, gave altar calls where they laid hands on people, and ministered in the altars.

Are there any of these type of preachers left in this generation? If you were going to have a revival, who would you recommend as an effective revivalist?
Friendly Face
1/9/16 5:50 pm

Post Amen! Aaron Scott
Several times, while listening to recordings of "old-time" preachers, I have heard them speak of how the services were "like campmeeting" ever Sunday.

I don't strive for a campmeeting service every service, but I sure would like to see a campmeeting style service every week! I can't help but believe that would be beneficial. We need solid, steady teaching; doctrinally sound preaching, but we also need the encouragement and power that shows up in "campmeeting services."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/9/16 7:50 pm

Post revuriah
I'd say Kevin Wallace is a "campmeeting style" preacher, and he's quite young. I'm telling you, at out church, we have great teaching and preaching. Our YP is a young (26) guy from KY, and he's one of the best young campmeeting style preachers I've ever heard. His name is Nathan Todd. Great preacher, great YP, and a great friend.

Now, let me think out loud some. Could the typical, classical Pentecostal style be a product of its time? It's great, and I love hearing that style, but it seems that younger Christians today respond more readily to a relational style of preaching. Perhaps it's more of a generational thing than a particular style that we automatically associate with being Pentecostal. Is Pentecost a style? Is there room within the Pentecostal church for different flavors of preaching?

I'm not a campmeeting style preacher. Don't get me wrong, I get excited when I preach, and I can shout. But when I preach, I tend to take more of a exhortative tone. If I had to place my style, I'm more toward the Travis Johnson Style than the Kevin Wallace style.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/9/16 8:04 pm

Post Re: Amen! Link
Aaron Scott wrote:

I don't strive for a campmeeting service every service, but I sure would like to see a campmeeting style service every week!

I'm thinking 95 degrees, humidity, people dripping with sweat who didn't have any place to shower the night before, and some flies from the horses parked off to the side. Every Sunday like camp meeting. Smile
1/9/16 8:26 pm

Post ..................... Old Time Country Preacher

Last edited by Old Time Country Preacher on 1/10/16 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
1/9/16 11:50 pm

Post Re: Amen! Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
I'm thinking 95 degrees, humidity, people dripping with sweat who didn't have any place to shower the night before, and some flies from the horses parked off to the side.

Ummm, if you find a campmeetin service where 95 preachers is toutin degrees, Link, the law of averages amongst Pennycostal/Charismatic is at 50-55 of the 95 will be either fake, milled or unaccredited. An all at drippin with sweat, ats cause these 50-55 fellers is hopin nobody asks em if their degrees is real…………ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
Acts-pert Poster
1/9/16 11:58 pm

Post me Mark Ledbetter
there, I wrote it, me...
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
1/10/16 11:22 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic