Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Mark Driscoll kicked off stage at men’s conference for condemning lewd act that was allowed by the host pastor. Discuss!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Mark Driscoll kicked off stage at men’s conference for condemning lewd act that was allowed by the host pastor. Discuss! caseyleejones
https://twitter.com/thecfrazier/status/1779545556206973113?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1779545556206973113%7Ctwgr%5Ee82b8a73fc7accf3b1bfa19fe5608cba8fd58029%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fchristianityculture.com%2Fmark-driscoll-kicked-out-from-the-conference-for-calling-out-bizare-pole-acrobatics%2F

Sorry, don’t know how to embed links

TLDR
John Lindell invited mark driscoll to speak at men’s conference
Pole dancer and stripper show is invited to entertain men
Pole dancer did not strip but did some pole stuff
Mark got up and condemned act and and called it a sin
Lindell kicked mark off stage

Right or wrong? Let’s filter this through what Paul or the apostles.
Acts-perienced Poster
4/15/24 5:06 am

Post May God ... Mat
From viewing the beginning of the "pole dancer" and then the viewing of Mark Driscoll's response, I've got to say, may God bless the ministry of Mark Driscoll.

I do not find shirtless men on a pole entertaining, perhaps their is a large LBGT... presence at this "church" that does.

Interesting, the short video, before he got kicked off stage by the pastor, of Mark Driscoll was from someone with a cellphone. There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/15/24 7:23 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I can’t imagine any good reason for a Christian men ‘s conference to include a carnival show. Good grief. I am no fan of Driscoll, by the way, and while I’m not sure I would agree completely with his interpretation of the pole dance/sword swallowing show, I can’t help but agree that it was entirely inappropriate to the event. Scratching my head as to why anybody would think it appropriate. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/15/24 7:26 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
While it would have been better for Jesus to cleanse the temple with a whip - He used Mark Driscoll instead.

Good for him.
4/15/24 8:50 am

Post caseyleejones
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
While it would have been better for Jesus to cleanse the temple with a whip - He used Mark Driscoll instead.

Good for him.

The most profound response. Agreed.
Acts-perienced Poster
4/15/24 9:53 am

Post Sweethomealabama
Has a movement had similar situations that required rebuke?

Has any of the pastors gone to LGBTQ protest of the don’t say gay bill?

Did any pastors and the leadership team of a church wear purple pride shirts in solidarity with the protest? Because the public schools in a state banned, the Rainbow. Did an activist, decided to turn purple into the new rainbow because it would be hard for the state to ban the color. Has any church participated in that?

Has any church or pastor had a current LGBTQ adoption advocate in the pulpit?

Has an LGBT adoption advocate said in any church something similar or along the lines of….. there is nothing wrong with Mohammed Buddha or Jesus because they all teach love?

Has any of church, pastor or denominational leadership tried to host a an event with another pastor outside of the movement that has married male couple on staff?

Just curious…

Why Mobile pastor have charges again? I don’t think Mobile pastor did anything like that. The fact that charges were even discussed in the case of mobile Pastor is ludacris considering other things.
Hey, DOC
4/15/24 1:09 pm

Post The post is not giving us all the info... Aaron Scott
Guys, it was a man doing the pole acrobatics. I dare say that intention was along the lines of having someone tear a phonebook in half.

I felt Driscoll was out of line. He could have posted his comments on social networks, he could have went to the man guy and talked about it first, but instead there is extraordinary awkwardness visited on everyone in attendance.

It's not that it's wrong complain. But the timing must be considered also.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/15/24 9:33 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Sweethomealabama wrote:
Has a movement had similar situations that required rebuke?

Has any of the pastors gone to LGBTQ protest of the don’t say gay bill?

Did any pastors and the leadership team of a church wear purple pride shirts in solidarity with the protest? Because the public schools in a state banned, the Rainbow. Did an activist, decided to turn purple into the new rainbow because it would be hard for the state to ban the color. Has any church participated in that?

Has any church or pastor had a current LGBTQ adoption advocate in the pulpit?

Has an LGBT adoption advocate said in any church something similar or along the lines of….. there is nothing wrong with Mohammed Buddha or Jesus because they all teach love?

Has any of church, pastor or denominational leadership tried to host a an event with another pastor outside of the movement that has married male couple on staff?

Just curious…

Why Mobile pastor have charges again? I don’t think Mobile pastor did anything like that. The fact that charges were even discussed in the case of mobile Pastor is ludacris considering other things.

This has nothing to do with this conversation.

Your posts here might be better received if you weren't always trying to stir the pot.
4/16/24 4:43 am

Post Re: The post is not giving us all the info... Mat
Aaron Scott wrote:
Guys, it was a man doing the pole acrobatics. I dare say that intention was along the lines of having someone tear a phonebook in half.

I felt Driscoll was out of line. He could have posted his comments on social networks, he could have went to the man guy and talked about it first, but instead there is extraordinary awkwardness visited on everyone in attendance.

I'll seen the "Power Team" (I think that's the name) that would using weight lifting and demonstrations of strength to share their testimony. I watched some of the video of the "pole guy" - thought it was a little on the weird side for him to take his shirt/jacket off for a building full of men there for a Christian men's' conference.

I have also seen Christian dance teams that use acrobatics. Now I might be drawn to a conference where women do acrobatics shirtless, but I know I best not go there. I'm really don't see the "spiritual" context (in the portion of video I watch) as to why that guy was there.

Do I want to view shirtless men or shirtless women? No on the first, and better not on the second.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/16/24 9:35 am

Post Mat... Aaron Scott
Mat wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

I'll seen the "Power Team" (I think that's the name) that would using weight lifting and demonstrations of strength to share their testimony. I watched some of the video of the "pole guy" - thought it was a little on the weird side for him to take his shirt/jacket off for a building full of men there for a Christian men's' conference.

I have also seen Christian dance teams that use acrobatics. Now I might be drawn to a conference where women do acrobatics shirtless, but I know I best not go there. I'm really don't see the "spiritual" context (in the portion of video I watch) as to why that guy was there.

Do I want to view shirtless men or shirtless women? No on the first, and better not on the second.

Mat

I don't think there was a spiritual aspect to it. I took it as just some sort of entertainment for the men--one that represented strength and the such (things most guys respect).

I wish all things were spiritual, but....

If this had been a co-ed conference, it would have been highly inappropriate. For that matter, I think the Power Team is inappropriate if women are there. Why? Because of the obvious focus on the male physique.
4/16/24 9:55 am

Post Re: The post is not giving us all the info... Nature Boy Florida
Mat wrote:

Mat

I appreciate your honesty!
4/16/24 10:00 am

Post Re: Mat... Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
Mat wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Mat

I don't think there was a spiritual aspect to it. I took it as just some sort of entertainment for the men--one that represented strength and the such (things most guys respect).

I wish all things were spiritual, but....

If this had been a co-ed conference, it would have been highly inappropriate. For that matter, I think the Power Team is inappropriate if women are there. Why? Because of the obvious focus on the male physique.

Cmon man. I liked the Power team. It's value was showing that real HE-MEN loved God too.

A guy sliding on a pole doesn't do it for anyone (I hope) It's value would be about the same if they showed me and you eating at a buffet. The question then is:
How soon can I get out of this conference and get my money back.
4/16/24 10:02 am

Post Re: Mat... UncleJD
If I recall, the Power Team weren't shirtless, they wore "muscle" shirts. And my son accepted Christ at a Power Team event. They are real men of God. Nothing at all like that flamer dancing on stage, I doubt he even said a word about sin or salvation (if he did, then I'm sorry I missed it) Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/16/24 10:16 am

Post Video Breakdown of what happened at James River Church men’s conference Sweethomealabama
39 minutes into this YouTube video is a play-by-play breakdown of what happened At the Men’s conference.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RWxYtMAR9p0

This is also the first place I have found video of the James Lindell and Mark Driscol sitting down And discussing the events after the fact. The truth is Mark Driscoll immediately sat down Backstage with Pastor Lindell They reconciled. both Driscoll and Lindell came back out set down and had a discussion with the crowd about how Pastors can disagree biblically. Whoever went to that event, definitely got their moneys worth that’s for sure. But if you want a whole picture of what happened this is the best video I found on it.
Hey, DOC
4/16/24 12:11 pm

Post caseyleejones
So it’s okay to invite a male stripper to a Christian men’s event? Acts-perienced Poster
4/16/24 12:58 pm

Post Sweethomealabama
caseyleejones wrote:
So it’s okay to invite a male stripper to a Christian men’s event?

What about having a Gay adoption advocate as a special guest speaker? Or cohosting an event At an outside church That has two married men in leadership?l

Back to Mark Driscoll and the conference I don’t know whose idea it was to have a stripper swallow swords at a men’s conference Surprised Smile Laughing

Maybe the guy got saved and just wasn’t a Christian real long and thought I’ll just do my normal performance I did for America’s got talent that just happens to have levels of The old strip club routine in it. I don’t even think it crossed his mind that what he was doing was a strip club performance. Very Happy

I’m just wondering what the conversation back at the Vegas strip club was did you hear about The Moldovan stripper that used to work here yeah the Assemblies of God church just hired him and paid him A couple of grand for him to go out for five minutes and do his pole routine. I Wanna know what the committee meeting was like to plan that like did any of them google him. Did they even do a background check?
Hey, DOC
4/16/24 1:29 pm

Post Guys... Aaron Scott
I didn't see the conference performance. I've just seen the AGT one, I think. It's not some sort of "suggestive sliding" up and down the pole. It is him climbing the pole, then seemingly letting go, only to stop just before hitting the ground, etc.

I'm not into that sort of thing--especially at a Christian conference. But a lot of men like feats of strength and daring. As for the Power Team, yeah, I liked them too. I was just pointing out that it seemed somewhat along those lines--i.e., impressive feats.

This guy, as best I can tell, was NOT AT ALL doing suggestive dancing or the such. This is a guy who climbs the pole and holds his boy perpendicular to the pole--stuff like that.

The fact that there was some question about the propriety of it should have been enough to have scuttled the act. But even then, it was not women doing pole dancing (so my enemy Nature Boy tells me). Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
4/17/24 3:00 pm

Post Full statement from Alex Magala, the sword swallowing performer at the center of the Mark Driscoll controversy: Sweethomealabama
Full statement from Alex Magala, the sword swallowing performer at the center of the Mark Driscoll controversy:

"In response to recent criticisms of Stronger In response to recent criticisms of Stronger Men’s Conference produced by James River Church, I feel compelled to clarify the context and intention behind my specialty act. My performance, which some have controversially likened to inappropriate entertainment, is deeply rooted in a historical and cultural tradition that dates back over 1200 years and has since become a respected discipline showcasing human strength and agility.

Pastor Mark Driscoll’s remarks about my act failed to recognize the difference between a male strip tease and a stunt performance rooted in art and sport.

Only an uninformed person would draw a comparison between my act and an inappropriate performance. I feel that this danger act is perfect for the Stronger Men’s Conference. It provides inspiration to the audience and permission for them to reach new heights of what’s possible in their lives.

My mentor Dan Meyer, is a leader of Sword Swallowers Association International, a multiple Guinness World record holder in sword swallowing and just so happens to be a member of Pastor Mark Driscoll’s own congregation. Dan says, “It wasn’t a “raunchy male pole dance” or “stripper” performance. Alex is the top of his field as a master in the classical 12th century martial arts acrobatic discipline called Chinese Pole acrobatics which he performed at the Olympics.

This is WAY different than a male stripper. It’s like comparing classical ballet with striptease. No comparison. The convention hired Alex because the theme was “strong men” and Alex is the best at what he does!”

I am a Christian and have always aimed to use my talents to inspire and entertain audiences in a way that respects my faith. The act in question was designed to be a celebration of physical human achievements and is aligned with the James River Church’s purpose in bringing others into the light of God.

It’s essential to approach such performances with an understanding of their intention rather than reducing them to mere entertainment."
Hey, DOC
4/17/24 9:20 pm

Post Sweethomealabama
Who would have thought that there was a Sword Swallowers Association International and that the head of the organization was a member of Mark Driscoll’s church in Scottsdale Arizona. This is just crazy.

Quote:
My mentor Dan Meyer, is a leader of Sword Swallowers Association International, a multiple Guinness World record holder in sword swallowing and just so happens to be a member of Pastor Mark Driscoll’s own congregation. Dan says, “It wasn’t a “raunchy male pole dance” or “stripper” performance. Alex is the top of his field as a master in the classical 12th century martial arts acrobatic discipline called Chinese Pole acrobatics which he performed at the Olympics.
Hey, DOC
4/17/24 9:23 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sweethomealabama wrote:
Sword Swallowers Association International

This just sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit.
4/18/24 6:01 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic