Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is Dr Billy Wilson going to lee???? Dr. Wilson is speaking at T.J’s pathway this Sunday!

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is Dr Billy Wilson going to lee???? Dr. Wilson is speaking at T.J’s pathway this Sunday! Sweethomealabama
According to pathway church’s Facebook and instagram accounts ORU president Dr Billy Wilson is speaking at Pathway Church Mobile this Sunday. Is he looking for another challenge and is wanting to leave ORU on a high note? Dr Wilson headed to Lee President would definitely heal the rift between COG and Church of God of Prophecy. He might be wanting to head back to Cleveland. Hey, DOC
3/23/24 1:26 am

Post Dr. Wilson ... Mat
Sweethomealabama,

I think your are misreading (or misstating) Dr. Wilson's visit to Pathway Church Mobile, as he visits many large churches, both denominational and independent, in his roll as President of ORU.

ORU draws students from many churches in the Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements, and those outside as well. Likewise, ORU has strong connection to global Christianity, as does Dr. Wilson.

Dr. Wilson spiritual and ministry history is rooted in the COGOP where he severed under general appointment as International Youth Director, Evangelism Director and Radio/TV Minister for the Voice of Salvation over years. He later led and effort to bring reconciliation to the COGOP and COG, plus he does have his Masters and Doctorate from PTS.

I would suggest Lee U. will be a step down for him, and a step into troubled waters with political currents. Likewise, I'm not sure the "good-old-boy" network in the COG would be all that welcoming to him being President.

I think he has reaching the world on his mind, not moving to Cleveland, TN. After all, he's been there and done that!

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/23/24 9:28 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Travis's daughter attends ORU, so that is probably the connection.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/23/24 10:51 am

Post caviator
Billy has said, he ain’t got no plans for Lee. There you have it! Hey, DOC
3/24/24 6:34 am

Post Sweethomealabama
FYI Lee isn’t far off from the attendance numbers of ORU when Mark Rutland took over. Hey, DOC
3/24/24 7:10 am

Post One last post on this discussion. Mat
Sweethomealabama wrote:
FYI Lee isn’t far off from the attendance numbers of ORU when Mark Rutland took over.

One last point on this discussion, its has been some years since Mark Rutland was President of ORU. Currently (at least the best numbers I could find in a quick search), under Dr. Wilson, ORU has about 1,500 more students enrolled, and seems to be over diverse, with students and alumni from many more countries than Lee U.

Dr. Wilson is not just the President of ORU, he also leads a global ministry (Empowered 21). I would be surprised if he were President of Lee U, if he did not come under criticism for continuing with a separate global ministry.

Going to Lee U is like following a long term Pastor who build up a local church into a mega ministry. When you consider Paul Conn is still there, that the people he developed are in leadership positions and the new President, unlike a new Pastor, the President cannot change staff to "his people."

Then there's the COG character of criticism to deal with.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/25/24 6:37 am

Post Would The COG Accept Billy Wilson mytwocents
I'm not sure the COG would allow a non-COG person to serve as president. I have heard they are considering a motion that would not allow anyone to teach religion/bible at our educational institutions who is not COG. Since the president regularly teaches/speaks in chapel settings, etc., would the church let a non-cog minister be president?

Both Billy Wilson and Mark Rutland are not COG credentialed, so I got my doubts.
Acts-celerater
3/25/24 7:07 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Paul Conn probably do it for a while. Probably do a great job at it.
3/25/24 7:57 am

Post Re: Would The COG Accept Billy Wilson FLRon
mytwocents wrote:
I'm not sure the COG would allow a non-COG person to serve as president. I have heard they are considering a motion that would not allow anyone to teach religion/bible at our educational institutions who is not COG. Since the president regularly teaches/speaks in chapel settings, etc., would the church let a non-cog minister be president?

Both Billy Wilson and Mark Rutland are not COG credentialed, so I got my doubts.

Seems like agreeing to teach only CoG doctrine would be a condition of employment at Lee. What am I missing here?
3/25/24 9:37 am

Post Bishop in Church of God - Link Mat
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

Read the third paragraph from the bottom - Dr. Wilson is a Church of God Bishop, unless something has changed.

Mat

https://www.charismanews.com/us/38055-oru-names-billy-wilson-as-fourth-president

https://oru.edu/news/oru_news/20170327-president-wilson-honored.php
Acts Enthusiast
3/25/24 12:40 pm

Post georgiapath

He's probably been retired long enought he's ready to go back to work.
Acts-dicted
3/26/24 1:27 pm

Post georgiapath
Are you saying Mark Rutland is not COG credentialed? His son Travis is pastor at Liberty Square COG in Cartersville, Ga. Mark is the speaker there a lot of times. Acts-dicted
3/26/24 1:36 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt

The big controversy in recent years over liberal theology, feminist theology, and other ‘woke’ stuff all began during PC’s tenure.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/26/24 1:38 pm

Post Re: Would The COG Accept Billy Wilson georgiapath
FLRon wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

Seems like agreeing to teach only CoG doctrine would be a condition of employment at Lee. What am I missing here?

Looks like that to me, why would you hire anyone that wasn't?
Acts-dicted
3/26/24 1:38 pm

Post Re: Would The COG Accept Billy Wilson georgiapath
FLRon wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

My question is why would anybody want to? Unless it's to stir up trouble. Makes no snese to me.
Acts-dicted
3/26/24 2:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic