Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I'm asking the obvious question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I'm asking the obvious question roughridercog
Who is bringing the charges against Travis Johnson and who are the men on the panel?

Anyone know?
1/7/24 6:14 pm

Post Cojak
I am completely in the dark of this. I cannot imagine anyone bringing up Charges against this man. He has definitely been a blessing to the Church. His work and dedication has proven that...... Shocked Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/7/24 7:41 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Get us some names - so we can put them up on a wall of shame.
1/8/24 7:52 am

Post Re: I'm asking the obvious question Carolyn Smith
roughridercog wrote:
Who is bringing the charges against Travis Johnson and who are the men on the panel?

Anyone know?

From what I've seen, no one knows. Travis received word from the TN state office that a 7 man panel has brought charges against him. Names were not shared.

But Travis is an Alabama pastor. Can a group from another state bring charges against a pastor anywhere?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/8/24 10:48 pm

Post Re: I'm asking the obvious question Aaron Scott
Carolyn Smith wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

Anyone know?

From what I've seen, no one knows. Travis received word from the TN state office that a 7 man panel has brought charges against him. Names were not shared.

But Travis is an Alabama pastor. Can a group from another state bring charges against a pastor anywhere?

Carolyn,

I believe the seven-man panel did not bring the charges, but will review/examine the charges. Make sense?
1/9/24 8:58 am

Post Bro Bob
My knowledge about this case is limited to what Travis said when informing the church he pastors that charges of "conduct unbecoming" have been made against him.

In the youtube video of that, beginning at the 17:30 mark it is stated that the Tennessee State office informed him that charges had been made against him of "conduct unbecoming of a minister", and that they (the TN state office) had empaneled a seven member board of inquiry to investigate the charges.

Let's stop right here. UNLESS the Minutes have changed since I studied them while serving my local church as a layman:

1) Although Travis has served on the 18 member International Executive Committee, he is not currently on that board. He is a pastor of a local church in Mobile Alabama. This means he answers to the governing body of his local church, the local members in a called church conference.

2) It also means he serves that church due to being appointed to it by the State Overseer since the date appointed, and could be moved or removed at any time by the current State Overseer, with or without any charges being made.

3) The overseer of any other state has zero duty, obligation, or power to try him for anything. Anyone bringing any charge must first be a CoG member in good standing, and bring any charge before the Alabama State Overseer.

4) Any decision made by the Alabama overseer or any panel selected by that overseer would then be subject to revue or appeal to General Headquarters.

I don't know any of these men personally. I may be wrong about how the current Minutes deal with this. Or I may be witnessing good men not following the rules they themselves established at the General Assembly. It would not be the first time.

If our brother has spoken evil, bear witness of the evil. But if he has spoken well, why smitest thou him?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/9/24 1:28 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Centralized government, ya gotta love it! Cool

www.spwc.church
1/9/24 2:14 pm

Post UncleJD
sheepdogandy wrote:
Centralized government, ya gotta love it! Cool

While I'm often sympathetic to your stance, in circumstances of accountability I differ. Until we hear differently, this process should work out correctly. I would not go to a church where centralized power rests with one man and one man alone. Lets just pray this works out as intended with a council of elders praying and receiving wisdom and good judgement. I'm not even sure what the accusation is yet. Does anyone know?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/9/24 2:51 pm

Post Dual State Pastor jimmybee
Travis Johnson is listed as pastor of Memphis-Pathway Church Southaven Campus on the Tennessee Church of God website. If you click the most recent detailed statistical report, you will see his name listed. His churches in Alabama report to Alabama, and the Southaven church reports to Tennessee.

Therefore, if the accuser is in Tennessee they would go through the Tennessee office and not Alabama due to his pastoral status in the state.

https://www.cogtn.org/church-statistics
1/9/24 4:29 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
As I have heard stated by those who would definitely know (and I hope they will post here soon about it) :

For quite some time now, TJ and others have been calling out LeeU for allowing their professors and instructors to ‘moonlight’ by being on staff at LGBTQ-affirming non-CoG churches in and around Cleveland. Recently, he placed links and screenshots of one prof whose wife had publicly recently joined the Episcopal church in Cleveland, TN, with her husband (a prof of NT at LeeU) receiving communion at that church with her. These folks posted the photos and video on their own publicly viewable Facebook page, and TJ called LeeU out about it. The LeeU Prez came out with a post a few days later denying anything was wrong except for some who are spreading ‘misinformation’ about Lee.

Now, apparently TJ has had charges of unbecoming conduct filed on him by the prof. To be thorough, the TN AB has impaneled a board of inquiry to determine if the charges have merit. All indications are that the AB has been and remains a supporter of TJ.

If sanity prevails, the charges against TJ will be seen as frivolous and the prof will himself be brought up on charges.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/24 4:40 pm

Post Mighty Army
So, a prof at Lee cannot allow his spouse to attend an Episcopal church and is not allowed to attend and take communion? That’s what the fuss is about? While preachers attend events considered “worldly” all the time and nothing is ever said? A preacher can literally attend a concert by a secular band and a professor can’t attend a Christian church? Really?

This is so ludicrous that it’s hard to believe.
Friendly Face
1/9/24 4:58 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Not merely attend, she joined and was received into membership into a very ‘out’ pro-LGBTQETC denomination. Taking communion means one considers those one is partaking with to be Christians, whom one could in good conscience be a member with. Then they posted it on their own public Facebook page, as an important life event. This is directly contrary to the Scriptures and obviously is a middle finger in the face of the CoG by someone whose paycheck comes from the CoG.

The Bible clearly states that those who practice such things as homosexuality shall not inherit the kingdom of God, but an apostate denomination that teaches contrary to the word on this are considered genuine Christians?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/24 5:15 pm

Post jimmybee
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Not merely attend, she joined and was received into membership into a very ‘out’ pro-LGBTQETC denomination. Taking communion means one considers those one is partaking with to be Christians, whom one could in good conscience be a member with. Then they posted it on their own public Facebook page, as an important life event. This is directly contrary to the Scriptures and obviously is a middle finger in the face of the CoG by someone whose paycheck comes from the CoG.

The Bible clearly states that those who practice such things as homosexuality shall not inherit the kingdom of God, but an apostate denomination that teaches contrary to the word on this are considered genuine Christians?

So any Church of God member goes to a non-Church of God church and participates in communion, then they are in agreement with that church's beliefs and doctrine?
1/9/24 5:32 pm

Post Mighty Army
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Is she employed by the COG or any of its institutions? If Travis has complained about her, he is out of order. This is my whole point. People here and on Facebook are “supporting” Travis when they don’t even know the charges. What did he do and say? What a spouse of an assistant professor does is none of his business.
Friendly Face
1/9/24 5:33 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
jimmybee wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

So any Church of God member goes to a non-Church of God church and participates in communion, then they are in agreement with that church's beliefs and doctrine?

Not necessarily, depending on what the particular church’s beliefs may be. It would usually be okay to participate in communion with an evangelical church.

Do you think it would be appropriate for anyone who claims to be a Bible-believing Christian to take communion with a church group that is plainly pro-LGBTQETC?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/24 7:34 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Mighty Army wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Is she employed by the COG or any of its institutions? If Travis has complained about her, he is out of order. This is my whole point. People here and on Facebook are “supporting” Travis when they don’t even know the charges. What did he do and say? What a spouse of an assistant professor does is none of his business.

The point is, a prof who teaches Lee ministerial students, participated in a communion service with an officially pro-LGBTQETC, church, thereby affirming these antinomian apostates as valid Christians, as well as was there to support his wife in joining said apostate organization. And then, posted it publicly on Facebook for all the world to see. In accepting and endorsing such an abominable organization, he is broadcasting for all the students he influences that this is acceptable, that a pro-LGBTQ ‘church’ is perfectly acceptable.

Is this acceptable behavior for someone who is employed by the CoG for the express purpose of training up young, impressionable minds for the work of the ministry? If the CoG wants to knowingly provide a pro-LGBTQETC education for our ministers, I (and probably many, many other pastors, judging by the last General Assembly votes) am out, period.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/24 7:40 pm

Post Mighty Army
I disagree. First of all, it’s not a minister but an assistant professor on his own time. Taking communion is in no way “affirming” the doctrine of said church but is doing so as honoring Jesus Christ. How many COG employees on their own time do things like go to secular concerts or any other secular event? Then for an ordained minister from another state to post a picture of an employee as to slander him is just wrong. This is my last post. God bless. Friendly Face
1/9/24 10:10 pm

Post jimmybee
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
jimmybee wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Not necessarily, depending on what the particular church’s beliefs may be. It would usually be okay to participate in communion with an evangelical church.

Do you think it would be appropriate for anyone who claims to be a Bible-believing Christian to take communion with a church group that is plainly pro-LGBTQETC?

The funny thing is, I would not have known the church was pro-LGBTQ had it not been for the Excellent Ministers Group on Facebook. I may have accidentally went there and risked being punished for attending once.

Perhaps those that are investigating all of the churches in Cleveland can publish a list of churches that we, as Church of God members and ministers, should not attend. That would be helpful.
1/9/24 10:28 pm

Post jimmybee
Mighty Army wrote:
I disagree. First of all, it’s not a minister but an assistant professor on his own time. Taking communion is in no way “affirming” the doctrine of said church but is doing so as honoring Jesus Christ. How many COG employees on their own time do things like go to secular concerts or any other secular event? Then for an ordained minister from another state to post a picture of an employee as to slander him is just wrong. This is my last post. God bless.

MA I agree with you. How many of our churches offer communion to any person that attends our church? Do we ask "are you a member of our church" or "do you agree with our Declaration of Faith?" I don't know of any Church of God or pastor that does that.

Yet, a Church of God member, who is a professor at Lee, attends service with his wife one time, and some want to crucify him. God help us. Instead of asking for clarification, we cast stones. If you don't believe me - read the comments in the Excellent Ministers group. The words that are written are arrogant and condescending. If anyone doesn't agree with their stance, they are ridiculed and ostracized. .
1/9/24 10:39 pm

Post Re: Dual State Pastor Carolyn Smith
jimmybee wrote:
Travis Johnson is listed as pastor of Memphis-Pathway Church Southaven Campus on the Tennessee Church of God website. If you click the most recent detailed statistical report, you will see his name listed. His churches in Alabama report to Alabama, and the Southaven church reports to Tennessee.

Therefore, if the accuser is in Tennessee they would go through the Tennessee office and not Alabama due to his pastoral status in the state.

https://www.cogtn.org/church-statistics

That's odd, since that campus is in MS.

https://pathwaychurch.us/locations-service-times
1/10/24 12:14 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic