Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Bound For Beaulah" Not many of them left!

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Bound For Beaulah" Not many of them left! Cojak
In my 82 years of remembrance in the COG I have known MANY 'Bound For Beaulah's', They are few and far between now, some points were actually good, but too many times we appeared as Pharicies to Christians of other denominations.
Funny I have heard it said in our pulpits that "Them Baptists say you can do anything and go to Heaven." I have known many folks who attended BAptist Churches and have NEVER heard it said there.

We in the COG NEVER sinned, we did however make mistakes. In the past few years I have heard it said from COG pulpits that we sin daily and should ask for forgiveness...,"

???? Embarassed Not saying I sin every day, but I do exhibit a non-Christian attitude at times. Embarassed Embarassed
BUT I never cuss, smoke, dance or wear shorts anymore. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/25/23 11:47 am

Post georgiapath
Your a good man. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Acts-dicted
4/26/23 7:20 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Unconditional Eternal Security.

I've heard it a million times.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/27/23 1:33 pm

Post Re: "Bound For Beaulah" Not many of them left! Link
Cojak wrote:

???? Embarassed Not saying I sin every day, but I do exhibit a non-Christian attitude at times. Embarassed Embarassed

Not sure about you, but aging (if accompanied by vericose veins) can work wonders on the desire to wear shorts.
Acts-perienced Poster
4/29/23 12:34 pm

Post Re: "Bound For Beaulah" Not many of them left! uthdude2000
Cojak wrote:
In my 82 years of remembrance in the COG I have known MANY 'Bound For Beaulah's', They are few and far between now, some points were actually good, but too many times we appeared as Pharicies to Christians of other denominations.
Funny I have heard it said in our pulpits that "Them Baptists say you can do anything and go to Heaven." I have known many folks who attended BAptist Churches and have NEVER heard it said there.

We in the COG NEVER sinned, we did however make mistakes. In the past few years I have heard it said from COG pulpits that we sin daily and should ask for forgiveness...,"

NOW please tell us WHY you don't wear shorts anymore?
6/22/23 10:40 am

Post Re: "Bound For Beaulah" Not many of them left! Cojak
uthdude2000 wrote:

Uh oh! I never liked short pants when I was a kid, never wore them after I got older. LOL

My only excuse is I am in Florida and would look silly with my ghost white legs (with BLUE varicose veins!)!!

I do know one Pastor in Florida who moved to NC and a large church, he made the mistake of wearing "Bermudas" there and LOST his nice church and headed back to Florida..... (Where it is accepted!)

Hint when in NC do as the Carolinians do if you want to pastor very long....
Just sayin'
Wow this post is old I am now nearing 85...OUCH! Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
6/22/23 5:31 pm

Post Re: "Bound For Beaulah" Not many of them left! Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:

Well, ya gotta be careful - that could lead to dancing! Laughing Laughing Laughing
6/23/23 9:57 pm

Post Re: "Bound For Beaulah" Not many of them left! FLRon
Cojak wrote:
uthdude2000 wrote:

Uh oh! I never liked short pants when I was a kid, never wore them after I got older. LOL

My only excuse is I am in Florida and would look silly with my ghost white legs (with BLUE varicose veins!)!!

I do know one Pastor in Florida who moved to NC and a large church, he made the mistake of wearing "Bermudas" there and LOST his nice church and headed back to Florida..... (Where it is accepted!)

Hint when in NC do as the Carolinians do if you want to pastor very long....
Just sayin'
Wow this post is old I am now nearing 85...OUCH! Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

When I moved to Florida several years ago, I was surprised to see how casual the pastors dressed here. I even had one visit me in the hospital wearing shorts and flip flops. There is a very different vibe here that’s for sure. Me, the only time I don’t wear shorts is when I go to church or if I know I’m going to be around the folks that frown upon such things.
6/24/23 5:22 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
When we pastored in rural north Florida, we had a lady in our church who regularly mentioned, “I was raised right!” She would often say when testifying, “I see I’m the only woman here not wearing pants,” and “When I got saved I quit cutting my hair.”

One service, after she had again condemned all the other women in the church for not being “holiness” enough, I asked her in front of everybody, “Sister, you see my wife back there holding our baby, right? She’s wearing jeans. She cuts her hair and wears makeup. Are you saying she doesn’t love God and isn’t a Christian?” She got nervous and quickly said, “Oh I’m not judging anybody.” I said, “Really? It sure sounds like you are to me.”

From that point on, she quit saying those things for the most part.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/24/23 7:48 am

Post FLRon
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
When we pastored in rural north Florida, we had a lady in our church who regularly mentioned, “I was raised right!” She would often say when testifying, “I see I’m the only woman here not wearing pants,” and “When I got saved I quit cutting my hair.”

One service, after she had again condemned all the other women in the church for not being “holiness” enough, I asked her in front of everybody, “Sister, you see my wife back there holding our baby, right? She’s wearing jeans. She cuts her hair and wears makeup. Are you saying she doesn’t love God and isn’t a Christian?” She got nervous and quickly said, “Oh I’m not judging anybody.” I said, “Really? It sure sounds like you are to me.”

From that point on, she quit saying those things for the most part.

My experience with those super “holiness” people has been the more they cling to the clothesline the more judgmental they are of those who don’t. At this season of my life I have about Zero tolerance for such ignorance.

Funny how the Uber Holiness crowd never read the story of God telling Samuel that He looks on the heart, not the outward appearance like man does.
6/24/23 2:59 pm

Post Respect 4thgeneration
I have a lot of respect for people who have and live by their convictions. I don't think everything is sin that some of what I call the "old time holiness" people feel is sin. But I have respect for people willing to give up anything they think might keep them from heaven.

I am very concerned by the mentality of some today that feel pretty much nothing is sinful enough to affect a person's salvation. Many now border if not fully embrace unconditional eternal security, pushing away any need to seek His righteousness in our lives.

I think there needs to be a spiritually healthy balance in who we are as Christians, and how that affects the way we live.

Just my O!
Acts Enthusiast
6/29/23 11:09 am

Post Re: Respect Cojak
4thgeneration wrote:
I have a lot of respect for people who have and live by their convictions. I don't think everything is sin that some of what I call the "old time holiness" people feel is sin. But I have respect for people willing to give up anything they think might keep them from heaven.

I am very concerned by the mentality of some today that feel pretty much nothing is sinful enough to affect a person's salvation. Many now border if not fully embrace unconditional eternal security, pushing away any need to seek His righteousness in our lives.

I think there needs to be a spiritually healthy balance in who we are as Christians, and how that affects the way we live.

Just my O!

Amen to the comment and that in red is so true today especially! Cool
6/29/23 12:11 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I respect those who hold fast to their personal convictions. I am about as far from believing unconditional eternal security as can be actually.

What I find ridiculous is when someone holds convictions blindly in an absolutist fashion that can’t be substantiated by a sound study of the pertinent scriptures with a desire to understand their original context and intent.

What I find offensive and worthy of rebuke is when people feel free to condemn other Christians as not even saved when they don’t share their personal convictions.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/29/23 1:20 pm

Post Unconditional Security.... Aaron Scott
Like Cojak, I known of plenty of folks who believe in unconditional security. But I have never heard any of them say "You can commit adultery, fornicate, steal, lie, cheat, and still go to heaven."

THAT is the way we Pentecostals have often spun it. In truth, most Baptists (there may be some outliers, of course) would say, "If they're doing that, then they didn't really get saved to begin with."
6/29/23 4:24 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I sat in a county-wide interdenominational service once, and heard an elder Southern Baptist preacher say from the pulpit, “You can live just like the Devil and still be saved! Your sins are paid in full!” The context was the security of the believer. He was not saying someone could be living like the Devil, then repent and be saved (which I would of course agree with). He was saying a believer can be living like the Devil and be saved as can be, due to Calvary.

My family and I promptly got up and left. This is in fact standard Southern Baptist doctrine, that all one’s sins are prepaid before we even commit them, and therefore we are UNconditionally secure forever. No spin on it at all. Unconditional means unconditional and eternal means eternal, forever.

Former SBC Preseident, and long-time pastor of First Baptist Atlanta, Charles Stanley, in his very popular book on eternal security, says the same thing, that for all intents and purposes, a truly born again believer can become an atheist without losing his salvation. It’s all based on their view of the atonement being the payment of the penalty for each and every sin being prepaid and absolutely irrevocable. But of course the Bible nowhere teaches that view of the atonement, no matter how many times it may be repeated and no matter how loudly it is insisted upon. The penalty for sin is eternal damnation, which Christ did not and could not pay, or else He’d be in Hell now and forever.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/29/23 5:00 pm

Post Glory to God. It’s so anyhow Bound For Beaulah
Glory to God hallelujah anyhow
The churches have gone plum FLippo nowadays. They have rejected holiness and God is takin notes
Betr get your house in order mister. You can call me anything, but when he calls me, you can call me gone.

Holiness or Hell
Holiness or Hell

Beaulah
Friendly Face
8/11/23 7:37 am

Post caseyleejones
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I sat in a county-wide interdenominational service once, and heard an elder Southern Baptist preacher say from the pulpit, “You can live just like the Devil and still be saved! Your sins are paid in full!” The context was the security of the believer. He was not saying someone could be living like the Devil, then repent and be saved (which I would of course agree with). He was saying a believer can be living like the Devil and be saved as can be, due to Calvary.

My family and I promptly got up and left. This is in fact standard Southern Baptist doctrine, that all one’s sins are prepaid before we even commit them, and therefore we are UNconditionally secure forever. No spin on it at all. Unconditional means unconditional and eternal means eternal, forever.

Former SBC Preseident, and long-time pastor of First Baptist Atlanta, Charles Stanley, in his very popular book on eternal security, says the same thing, that for all intents and purposes, a truly born again believer can become an atheist without losing his salvation. It’s all based on their view of the atonement being the payment of the penalty for each and every sin being prepaid and absolutely irrevocable. But of course the Bible nowhere teaches that view of the atonement, no matter how many times it may be repeated and no matter how loudly it is insisted upon. The penalty for sin is eternal damnation, which Christ did not and could not pay, or else He’d be in Hell now and forever.

I am as close to eternal security without fully crossing the line. I do believe you can walk away. I also know people who loved God but had a severe issue in their life that allowed that thing to fester. I know some who loved God who committed suicide due to severe mental trauma. I know they are in the hands of their loving Father. Admittedly, I have never heard anyone say what you said above.
Acts-perienced Poster
8/11/23 6:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic