Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Church Councils

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Church Councils Cojak
Most of the churches we attended over the years have used a 'Church & Pastor's Council.' There were other titles, "Men's Council' etc. I know our church does not have one now. Is it a thing of the past?

I actually think it can be a blessing, and give a chance for men to talk straight with the pastor and the rest of the council.

Communications are essential, and it is becoming more and more needed. Our local church business meetings are 'called' at times 'on the spot', such as things the pastor wants done. VERY SELDOM in a congregational approval session will the pastor be questioned or alternatives be suggested.

I believe things go better when the pastor can say, "The council has decided we need 'This or That'. I am bringing it here to get approval for the financing of the project."

By this time the men have asked around and discussed it with members and KNOW the feel for the direction they should go.

I KNOW in the COG the pastor is Boss, and His BOSS is the State Overseer. It has worked over the years, but things seem to be changing, even this old man feels the Congregation should have more to say in a church they are paying for.
Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/15/22 1:30 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
From what I understand from the COG minutes, a Pastor's Council is optional, and its only purpose is to advise the pastor. Their decisions are subject to the pastor's approval. It really depends on the pastor but since some churches seem to think the council has more authority than it does, some pastors choose not to have one. Some of it may depend on what the church's tradition has been in the past. A wise pastor will seek counsel from someone and know the heart of the church.

This is one of the differences between COG and IPHC. IPHC churches have a pastor's council that pretty much runs the church. They can make a decision to get rid of the pastor and he has no say so.

In the COG, I think the pastor only has to seek the approval of the church when it is a financial matter over a certain amount of money that is pre-determined.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/15/22 11:44 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic