Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Addictions not listed as a sin, is it?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Addictions not listed as a sin, is it? Cojak
When watching the WNC camp meeting a pastor was featured one morning at the pulpit. He was at least in the category of Obese. I follow a blog of a young lady who was for 5 years a spokesperson for Nutrisystem. She had lost 50 lbs and kept it off..... UNTIL THIS YEAR..... She has gained the 50 back. This is an interesting blog entry:
https://www.lifeawayfromtheofficechair.com/2022/07/the-other-addiction.html

In the past 40-50 years our COG ministers as a whole seem to be obese or approaching it. How do you feel about it? Is it a sin? Is it gluttony?

Our members also have gained weight, but we seem to use ministers as examples, is there a difference?
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/7/22 9:39 am

Post georgiapath
I have heard that if you over eat, you need to find out what's eating on you that's making you over eat. Don't know if that's true or not. Acts-dicted
7/7/22 10:44 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
sure, gluttony would be a sin.

Perhaps there is an underlying medical condition.

However, it makes me wonder how many disciples were obese?
7/7/22 11:14 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have in the past 2-1/2 years lost 120 pounds, and am fully committed to a healthy lifestyle as God’s will for his people.

That said, I am unaware of any scripture which says being overweight or obese is in itself a sin.

I do believe many folks are just ignorant of how to eat healthily. Also, high-stress sedentary careers such as being a pastor raise levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which disposes the metabolism to store calories more. It becomes a vicious circle. When I was morbidly obese, I didn’t have any motivation to exercise, and eating was a way of self-medication.

I thank God every day for helping me get my health back in my mid 50s. I watched my dad die at 65 of complications from his extreme obesity. He had lost over a hundred pounds himself a couple times in his adult life, only to eventually gain back more. I take his example as a cautionary tale for my own life. I have kept the 120 pounds off for a year now, and with God’s help I believe I can keep on doing this hopefully til I die.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 7/12/22 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/7/22 11:45 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Congrats QW. that is VERY HARD to do at that age.
7/8/22 6:24 am

Post Cojak
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Congrats QW. that is VERY HARD to do at that age.

Amen to that comment...

YES congrats are well in order, that is a terrific accomplishment.
7/10/22 2:24 pm

Post Cojak
[Quote NBF:

However, it makes me wonder how many disciples were obese?[/quote]

All you have to do is look at the picture someone took of the Lord's Last Supper, they all seemed to be average size.
But I think that was an early Polaroid. Very Happy Very Happy Embarassed
7/10/22 2:29 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Sometimes em hot fudge cakes from Shoneys just git the best of ya. Acts-pert Poster
7/11/22 10:24 pm

Post Link
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
sure, gluttony would be a sin.

Perhaps there is an underlying medical condition.

However, it makes me wonder how many disciples were obese?

If there are underlying medical conditions, does the denomination need a new wave of healing to rush through it... to help with the weight loss?
Acts-perienced Poster
7/16/22 3:01 pm

Post Addiction is bondage.... Aaron Scott
I don't know that it is sin, since, at least to some degree, we believe that if you can't help doing something, it's not a moral matter. (That is, only if you could have done otherwise, but didn't, do we tend to assign moral weight to it.)

No one starts out with the intent to become an addict. But it may be that the first line crossed was the sin. if they hadn't done that, they might have not become addicted. They might have known better, they might have felt a check in their spirit...but they went ahead.

Addiction is, I think, the RESULT of sin in many cases.

Do note, however, that dependency and addiction are not the same thing! If someone has a medical condition that requires painkillers, they absolutely need them in order to function, perhaps. And it may be that they do become addicted to them, but only because they NEEDED them in the first place.

Addiction seems to be more recreational. Yes, it may feel not different that dependency, but it has different roots and intent, I think.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/18/22 10:53 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic