Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Florida Camp Meeting

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Florida Camp Meeting FLRon
From the various camera angles the convention center seems to be about packed each night so far. I had to chuckle at Eric Petree last night when he called Jentezen Franklin the G.O.A.T. If he was hoping to get a bunch of Amens from that crowd for that statement he’s still waiting.????
6/9/23 2:26 pm

Post FLRon
A pastor told me Friday night’s crowd was the largest he had seen in years. A youth night/Jentezen Franklin combo would be hard to top.

I watched each service and I have to give the nod to Jentezen for the best message and delivery.
6/10/23 3:29 pm

Post But nothing compared to the crowds of yesteryear.... Aaron Scott
Our overseers bring in top-notch preaching, and Florida has perhaps the best music in all the Church of God...but the crowds are perhaps only half--if that much--of how it used to be.

I recall times when the tabernacle--probably seating 4000-5000--was jammed, and hundreds of people were sitting in lawn chairs around the open-air tabernacle, worship right along with the rest of the folks.

I don't know how many times we would bellyache about the heat and wish we had air-conditioning. But when it finally came--in the form of a new tabernacle--it seems that there were other changes going on too.

I don't know if it's the case, but along with some of the older folks who loved camp meeting beginning to die off, I have wondered if the fact that it WAS HOT had had the beneficial effect of ensuring that only (or mostly) those who really had a heart for worship showed up. Once everyone was "able" to attend, there were a few years that where it seemed almost alien to the "camp meeting culture" that had developed there over the decades.

Along with the sno-cone stand being gone--which was huge during the hot times of camp meeting--even the singers who were on the docket EVERY CAMP MEETING, and who could reliably be counted on to "bring it," were not as effective as they had once been. In time, the new tabernacle got its feet back under it. I have been unable to attend for some years (due to living in the extreme northern part of the state and being bivocational), but I have heard some good reports, including this year.

But I am afraid that camp meeting, like tent revivals, is fading away. I am so thankful that God allowed me to be a part of some incredible moments.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/12/23 10:01 am

Post FLRon
Thanks Aaron for sharing your experiences. A sister in my church also said she remembered huge crowds in the past.
6/13/23 8:50 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I don't know about FL, but it seems to me that camp meeting is more geared to pastors and not to laity. The services here start at 6:45, so if you work and/or live any distance from the campgrounds, there is no way you can make it. Plus with camp meeting being shortened to save finances, there are usually no weekend services when laity could make an effort to come (except maybe Sunday night.) Add to that the online services, if you can watch it at home in your PJs, why bother?
6/13/23 9:26 pm

Post Da Sheik
Carolyn Smith wrote:
I don't know about FL, but it seems to me that camp meeting is more geared to pastors and not to laity. The services here start at 6:45, so if you work and/or live any distance from the campgrounds, there is no way you can make it. Plus with camp meeting being shortened to save finances, there are usually no weekend services when laity could make an effort to come (except maybe Sunday night.) Add to that the online services, if you can watch it at home in your PJs, why bother?

I’ve echoed this for years. Many camp meetings have become pastor renewal conferences. I’m not saying it’s not needful (it is!). But we have to engage the laity of the church as well. They are the heart and soul of the movement.

BTW, it is a blessing to hear you sing Carolyn !
Acts Enthusiast
6/13/23 10:41 pm

Post FLRon
I have to say there was a definite feeling that the services were geared towards those with ministry positions. I saw several posts on FB that confirmed my own observations. I guess that goes hand in hand with the general trend towards a more “professional ministry” in the CoG
6/14/23 5:20 pm

Post Carolyn... Aaron Scott
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I know that much of the issue is financial. For instance, Florida used to run it's camp meeting through Sunday evening or so. But because so many ministers feel the need to get back to their churches, I'm sure it made it difficult in terms of the offering covering all the costs.

Some years ago, they even had, if I recall right, T.D. Jakes, come for the Sunday evening--which made for an overflow attendance, but from people who didn't come the rest of the week.

With many pastors being bi-vocational, that also has made it hard for them to attend.
6/15/23 3:38 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic