Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? Nature Boy Florida
In another thread that has strayed from its original point - some believe that Lee University's previous practices have been publicly called into question, but another poster believes it is just a few preachers stirring up trouble.

Is this what they were talking about?

https://www.charismanews.com/culture/89261-despite-pushback-pentecostal-lee-university-stands-strong-on-biblical-gender

Some highlights of a draft from Lee University that I assume is slated to be discussed/presented at the Assembly...

Quote:
"No member of the Lee University community may publicly identify or behave as a gender that does not correspond to his or her biological sex,"

"No member of the Lee University community may promote or advocate, in person, in writing, or online, for sexual acts, behaviors or lifestyles that are contrary to Scripture, this statement of belief, or any other university policy,"

Expect administration, faculty and staff to abide by the same behavior expectations.

If true, it appears Lee University is acknowledging in the very least a need to publicly state it's beliefs. If only a few preachers stirred it up - this seems like overkill to me.
6/28/22 12:02 pm

Post Re: Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? Eddie Robbins
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
In another thread that has strayed from its original point - some believe that Lee University's previous practices have been publicly called into question, but another poster believes it is just a few preachers stirring up trouble.

https://www.charismanews.com/culture/89261-despite-pushback-pentecostal-lee-university-stands-strong-on-biblical-gender

Some highlights of a draft from Lee University that I assume is slated to be discussed/presented at the Assembly...

Quote:
"No member of the Lee University community may publicly identify or behave as a gender that does not correspond to his or her biological sex,"

"No member of the Lee University community may promote or advocate, in person, in writing, or online, for sexual acts, behaviors or lifestyles that are contrary to Scripture, this statement of belief, or any other university policy,"

Expect administration, faculty and staff to abide by the same behavior expectations.

If true, it appears Lee University is acknowledging in the very least a need to publicly state it's beliefs. If only a few preachers stirred it up - this seems like overkill to me.

I have only heard of a few preachers stirring up something. I’m not privy to the talk online other than here. I certainly don’t read Charisma. Thanks, Eddie
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/22 3:09 pm

Post Re: Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Quote:

I have only heard of a few preachers stirring up something. I’m not privy to the talk online other than here. I certainly don’t read Charisma. Thanks, Eddie

If you think what is happening is "a few preachers stirring up something" you are greatly misinformed. There are two motions on the General Assembly agenda dealing with the issues there, liberal professors and admins are dropping like flies, the School of Religion is doing a complete overhaul and name change, the Executive Council has issued several mandates to the University, and Lee has 6 new board members. Make no mistake about it, the Church of God is reposessing our school from the Episcopalians!
Friendly Face
6/28/22 3:54 pm

Post Re: Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? Eddie Robbins
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Quote:

If you think what is happening is "a few preachers stirring up something" you are greatly misinformed. There are two motions on the General Assembly agenda dealing with the issues there, liberal professors and admins are dropping like flies, the School of Religion is doing a complete overhaul and name change, the Executive Council has issued several mandates to the University, and Lee has 6 new board members. Make no mistake about it, the Church of God is reposessing our school from the Episcopalians!

From my perspective, that’s what it is. That is all I know. That’s what I was told. That’s why I asked for an explanation. I’m an Episcopalian and really didn’t realize we ran Lee. That’s quite the revelation.Smile
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/22 4:02 pm

Post Re: Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Quote:

From my perspective, that’s what it is. That is all I know. That’s what I was told. That’s why I asked for an explanation. I’m an Episcopalian and really didn’t realize we ran Lee. That’s quite the revelation.Smile

Laughing
Friendly Face
6/28/22 5:22 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie,

The most uninformed insider of Lee University ever.

Maybe he could ask his brother in law what he thinks. Maybe that's who told him it was just a few preachers stirring up trouble.
6/29/22 6:46 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Eddie,

The most uninformed insider of Lee University ever.

Maybe he could ask his brother in law what he thinks. Maybe that's who told him it was just a few preachers stirring up trouble.

Nope, he’s no longer the president. It wasn’t him. It was my observing a FB post and tweet every once in a while. But I do have a great idea for Lee. Only allow COG members to teach and attend. That would solve their problems. I think they should go all out and stay in their bubble!
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/22 12:01 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I see.

No need to restrict it to only COG members.

But the folks that hire gay instructors - and promote those marching in pro abortion parades, or wear Vagina Hats and such - those we can do without.

By the way - no need to keep being so cute trying to type in names. Are you really that petty now?
6/29/22 1:21 pm

Post Re: Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? Link

Quote:

Why is it overkill? The LGBT advocates are overkilling this. It looks like their policy gives them a strong legal basis to kick out professors and students that try to convince others of the trans agenda. Isn't that an appropriate way to deal with the problem?
Acts-perienced Poster
6/30/22 11:41 am

Post Re: Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? Nature Boy Florida
Link wrote:

Quote:

Why is it overkill? The LGBT advocates are overkilling this. It looks like their policy gives them a strong legal basis to kick out professors and students that try to convince others of the trans agenda. Isn't that an appropriate way to deal with the problem?

It was overkill ONLY if a few preachers were complaining.

As you and I know Link - there were a lot more that a few preachers complaining.
6/30/22 1:13 pm

Post Re: Was this a rebuke of previous Lee University practices re: LGBTQ? Link
Link wrote:

Quote:

It was overkill ONLY if a few preachers were complaining.

As you and I know Link - there were a lot more that a few preachers complaining.

I work for a secular university. The faculty and administration runs the university, but there is a faculty assembly that votes on proposals. The president can refuse to sign something. I think it dies there. The state can legislate requirements, but the school itself can come up with policies all it's own. I am not used to preachers in a denomination having a say-so and I don't know exactly how that would work, but I don't know why a school couldn't make a policy to address an obvious problem without that kind of pressure coming from the top down. Isn't Lee somewhat self-governing?

If the administration at Lee considers it intolerable to have people on campus promoting the idea that sex (male/female) isn't real and encouraging young people down the path of pumping themselves full of hormones, having doctors mutilate them, and higher rates of suicide, why can't they have a strict policy without lots of preachers in the denomination pushing for it?

It seems reasonable to me that a Christian university not allow students and faculty to fornicate, commit adultery, engage in same-sex sex, engage in beastiality, or promote these things are trans, whether the preachers in the denomination rally behind such things or not. It's also in Tennessee, so it is less likely the state will get on their back than it might be in New York or California.
Acts-perienced Poster
7/1/22 8:48 am

Post The way I have understood it... Aaron Scott
We know that there are some folks that were in place for a number of years. I don't know if just finally hit critical mass or if, with Paul Conn retiring, it was felt like we had greater freedom to complain.

When Bro. Conn was in charge, I imagine that there were few that wanted to do anything that might be deemed hurtful or disparaging, since we all recognized that he had done such a great job making Lee U a notable place. Of course, it also takes time for some things to be fully revealed (i.e., that some of the faculty were now decidedly off the reservation).

AND it took Trump being in office to cause Trump Derangement Syndrome to reveal itself, since there was no such mental illness before Trump became president.

While Travis Johnson had singled out Professor Johns well before now, it did not fully catch fire until we had issues with people using the feminine pronoun when speaking of God. That was an absolute game-changer. I think that, Trump Derangement Syndrome (also played out by LGBTQ types making a scene), and Conn's stepping away from the presidency, brought everything together. It may be that no single one of these would have been enough to cause the stink it did...but taken together, it not only "forced" Lee to seek to ensure that they were still on the straight and narrow, but it also caused many in leadership to issue statements that no doubt prompted Lee to take a more decisive role.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/1/22 1:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic