Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Ok Who is your choice for Executive Committee & Council of 18
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Ok Who is your choice for Executive Committee & Council of 18 caveator
I know that this board is slow. I drop in occasionally and post very little anymore, but I thought I would keep the tradition going.

Before anyone drops the condemnation for being political, the reality is that this discussion is happening all over the Church of God right now, so we might as well have it here out in the open. Wink
Acts-celerater
6/22/22 2:31 pm

Post Re: Ok Who is your choice for Executive Committee & Council of 18 FLRon
caveator wrote:
I know that this board is slow. I drop in occasionally and post very little anymore, but I thought I would keep the tradition going.

Before anyone drops the condemnation for being political, the reality is that this discussion is happening all over the Church of God right now, so we might as well have it here out in the open. Wink

I’ll stay away from naming names. I’m more concerned that the COG is seemingly forever entrenched in the mindset that says unless you’re Caucasian and have gray/silver/white hair you will not be part of any high level decision making in the denomination.
I want to see diversity at the highest levels of CoG leadership, and not just an occasional token.

For what it’s worth, my pastor sees Tim Hill as the Pentecostal equivalent to the pope, and unless he’s re-elected the denomination will succumb to a wave of liberalism.
6/23/22 6:25 am

Post Re: Ok Who is your choice for Executive Committee & Council of 18 Cojak
FLRon wrote:
For what it’s worth, my pastor sees Tim Hill as the Pentecostal equivalent to the pope, and unless he’s re-elected the denomination will succumb to a wave of liberalism.

I smile at the 'liberalism' thing. Most pastors today cannot remember the church I was in in the 1940-50 era. Compared to that time the COG is already more liberal than many Baptist/Pentecostal groups.

That is time changes things. HOwever I do agree that the top level of leadership needs diversity. Wink
Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/23/22 6:51 am

Post Re: Ok Who is your choice for Executive Committee & Council of 18 MrSippi
[quote="FLRon"]
caveator wrote:

I think your pastor may be right! The COG is at a critical place where we have to get it righ on our leadership. I also believe in diversity, but not just for the sake of diversity. For instance, liberation theology is infiltrating our Latin American seminaries. I don’t want to place someone in our leadership who adheres to that worldview, just to create diversity.

I don’t have a full list of names yet, but I don’t mind sharing some that I am voting for:

Executive Committee
Tim Hill
Gary Lewis
Tom Madden
Tony Stewart
John Childers

Council
Melvin Shuler
Bill Lee
Scott Sheppard
David Smith
Jason Daughdrill
Joe Dobbins
Edwin Lipsey
Dennis McGuire
Friendly Face
6/23/22 6:55 am

Post Da Sheik
I think we should do like Congress and keep electing the same handful of names recycled year after year until they're retirement age. Acts Enthusiast
6/23/22 3:29 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I think we should do like Congress and keep electing the same handful of names recycled year after year until they're retirement age.

Smile Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Yep it seems to work great for Congress... Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/23/22 8:52 pm

Post It is entirely possible... 4thgeneration
Based on the proposal concerning the Council of 18, it is entirely possible that we will be selecting a full new council to serve for this next tenure.

It is interesting the dynamics that come into play when the requirement of the minutes is balanced against not having a 2020 General Assembly. On one side, they served their tenure, which by all rights is complete. On the other is the challenge of a totally new council with no continuity of voice and experience in the ongoing matters that have been discussed and dealt with for the past four years.

It will be an interesting time of selection and election no doubt!
Acts Enthusiast
6/25/22 10:07 am

Post georgiapath
[quote="Cojak"]
Da Sheik wrote:
I think we should do like Congress and keep electing the same handful of names recycled year after year until they're retirement age.

Smile Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Yep it seems to work great for Congress... Embarassed[/quote

Except in Congress they never get retirement age. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
6/25/22 4:54 pm

Post FLRon
Just to clarify, I am not wanting diversity for the sake of diversity. I want diversity in order to have new thoughts, ideas, and perspectives brought to the CoG.

I am a very biblically conservative Christian, and I recognize that culture is changing at warp speed. Yes, don’t change the message, but the denomination must have a plan in place to reach those who don’t resemble its current leadership. Or not, if the old guard continues to have its way.
6/25/22 6:41 pm

Post Re: It is entirely possible... caveator
4thgeneration wrote:
Based on the proposal concerning the Council of 18, it is entirely possible that we will be selecting a full new council to serve for this next tenure.

It is interesting the dynamics that come into play when the requirement of the minutes is balanced against not having a 2020 General Assembly. On one side, they served their tenure, which by all rights is complete. On the other is the challenge of a totally new council with no continuity of voice and experience in the ongoing matters that have been discussed and dealt with for the past four years.

It will be an interesting time of selection and election no doubt!

I think you make a good point about continuity, but you have to consider that most of the Executive Committee will return as part of the Executive Council and there will undoubtedly be some previous council members elected. I am personally not for extending the tenure. I am thankful for those who currently serve, but 8 years is a long time and I believe that we are positioned to place some great pastors and leaders into international leadership. I would like to see those who could add their fresh vision and creativity to our international leadership.

Last edited by caveator on 6/28/22 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerater
6/25/22 6:54 pm

Post The old guard... 4thgeneration
FLRon wrote:
Just to clarify, I am not wanting diversity for the sake of diversity. I want diversity in order to have new thoughts, ideas, and perspectives brought to the CoG.

I am a very biblically conservative Christian, and I recognize that culture is changing at warp speed. Yes, don’t change the message, but the denomination must have a plan in place to reach those who don’t resemble its current leadership. Or not, if the old guard continues to have its way.

I'm responding to this part of your response, "if the old guard continues to have its way."

I honestly don't see a strong connection between those who sit in the 5 offices in Cleveland and the diversity of the church at the local level. While I honor our leadership, and am thankful for the roles they fill in leading our church, I haven't seen how diversity in those offices has affected how I do ministry at the church I pastor. I'm not against diversity in leadership, and I do feel that some shifting at the top is good, as it brings fresh ideas, gifts and abilities to the forefront of our movement. If we want genuine change in our movement, our younger pastors and ministers need to stop making excuses for why they don't, and show up at the General Assembly. Go through the process, get credentialed as an Ordained Bishop, sit in the meetings, speak and vote. Yes, vote for who you feel should lead us. And vote for the principles and doctrines that you feel should define and direct us. But at home, where you pastor, reach and reflect the community in your diversity.

Just my O!
Acts Enthusiast
6/27/22 8:25 am

Post Eddie Robbins
What change do you want to see? Acts-pert Poster
6/27/22 3:01 pm

Post MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What change do you want to see?

I would like to see some creative, effective, and proven pastors who are not a part of a Cleveland bubble, on the council of 18. Some of the stuff that has been uncovered at our educational institutions has to be addressed. We need those with the intestinal fortitude and biblical integrity to speak to it without being intimidated about their next appointment. It is really a conflict of interest to even have a state overseer on the council of 18.
Friendly Face
6/27/22 3:19 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
What has been uncovered at the educational institutions? I hear rumors that some preachers are stirring up stuff on the internet but I’m not privy to any of that. What can you reveal here? Acts-pert Poster
6/27/22 4:16 pm

Post MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What has been uncovered at the educational institutions? I hear rumors that some preachers are stirring up stuff on the internet but I’m not privy to any of that. What can you reveal here?

“I hear rumors that some preachers are stirring stuff up on the internet”.

If your interpretation of “some preachers” on the “internet” includes members of the Executive Council and the overwhelming majority of COG ministers, General Assembly motions addressing the issues, and the COG repossesing their acadamies, then yes, that is what it is.
Friendly Face
6/28/22 6:50 am

Post Eddie Robbins
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What has been uncovered at the educational institutions? I hear rumors that some preachers are stirring up stuff on the internet but I’m not privy to any of that. What can you reveal here?

If your interpretation of “some preachers” on the “internet” includes members of the Executive Council and the overwhelming majority of COG ministers, General Assembly motions addressing the issues, and the COG repossesing their acadamies, then yes, that is what it is.

Thank you! I have only heard about some preachers on the internet. I am not a COG preacher nor a member so I don’t have access to what is going on. I appreciate you replying but you didn’t share what the deal is. Neither did they. That’s why I call it a rumor. Again, can you tell me what the issue is?
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/22 8:59 am

Post Eddie Robbins
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Thank you! I have only heard about some preachers on the internet. I am not a COG preacher nor a member so I don’t have access to what is going on. I appreciate you replying but you didn’t share what the deal is. Neither did they. That’s why I call it a rumor. Again, can you tell me what the issue is?
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/22 9:54 am

Post The issue 4thgeneration
Eddie Robbins wrote:
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

One issue is professors at our University and Seminary who teach doctrine that contradicts COG Theology. The push is that all bible related professors should be COG in faith and practice, therefore teaching theology that aligns with our movement. These are COG institutions, and should not be teaching theology that contradicts us. This is the practice of the AOG with their higher learning institutions, and should be ours as well IMO.
Acts Enthusiast
6/28/22 1:00 pm

Post Re: The issue Eddie Robbins
4thgeneration wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

One issue is professors at our University and Seminary who teach doctrine that contradicts COG Theology. The push is that all bible related professors should be COG in faith and practice, therefore teaching theology that aligns with our movement. These are COG institutions, and should not be teaching theology that contradicts us. This is the practice of the AOG with their higher learning institutions, and should be ours as well IMO.

Good luck with that.
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/22 2:38 pm

Post Re: The issue 4thgeneration
Eddie Robbins wrote:
4thgeneration wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Good luck with that.

If the Assembly of God can do it, I feel fairly sure that we can as well. Lee and our Seminary are COG institutions, so they should teach doctrine that aligns with who we are IMO. And people unwilling to do so should not be teaching bible at our institutions, again IMO.
Acts Enthusiast
6/28/22 3:04 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic