Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I HIGHLY recommend Stephen Conn's "Growing Up Pentecostal" and "Jesus Never Called Anyone a Sinner"

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I HIGHLY recommend Stephen Conn's "Growing Up Pentecostal" and "Jesus Never Called Anyone a Sinner" Aaron Scott
If you grew up in the Church of God (or any other holiness Pentecostal church), you will find yourself remembering things you didn't know you remembered. Bro. Conn is part of Church of God royalty. His father, Charles Conn, was not only absolutely instrumental in upping Lee College's status, but also served as our General Overseer. And Stephen's brother, Paul, was the longest-serving president of Lee University (and is now the Chancellor, I understand).

I was so taken aback by how many things clicked from his book. I could understand the fervent dedication to God, the extreme we sometimes went to in matters, and especially the difficulties that a preacher's kid can get into so often.

The other book, Jesus Never Called Anyone a Sinner, is almost one that causes us to say, "No...wait a minute." And yet! Bro. Conn is now 77-years-old and it is his heart's desire that this book be used to minister to others. It is NOT some go-easy-on-sin book. Rather it is a book that opens our eyes to how much Jesus loves the sinner.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE BOOKS, and I hope you will acquire them (they can be had at Pathway and Amazon).
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/16/22 8:57 pm

Post sheepdogandy
"Church of God royalty"

Yep, that's the problem alright. Laughing

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/18/22 11:35 am

Post georgiapath
He came out of the COG eventually. Eddie Robbins' wife is one of his sisters I think. Acts-dicted
6/18/22 1:00 pm

Post FLRon
sheepdogandy wrote:
"Church of God royalty"

Where’s the “like button”?
6/18/22 4:30 pm

Post Cojak
sheepdogandy wrote:
"Church of God royalty"

It definitely is a problem when MEN are promoted who DO NOT deserve it. Many of Royalty (so called) were great pastors and should never have been moved away from what they had done well.........

SO...Yes I know the term. I also know that MANY who are designated that 'Royalty' are some of the finest people living and the most humble.
I only heard Charles Conn (the father of a wonderful family) once in a Missouri Camp Meeting. I was blessed by his personality and his dedicated delivery.

It is the folks around someone who promote the 'royalty' thing, which is MANY TIMES NOT DESERVED NOR WON.

My dad and BIL knew Brother Conn personally and said he was ALWAYS humble and constantly preferred his brother.

Now to the Author and books mentioned, J. Stephen. He was one of the level headed commenters here on ACTS. I miss his few entries. I have no doubt the books are good. I will read them in time and Thanks to Aaron for mentioning them.

I do hope J Stephen is doing well.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/19/22 12:49 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
georgiapath wrote:
He came out of the COG eventually. Eddie Robbins' wife is one of his sisters I think.

Yep. Cathy is my wife. There were 12 children. 3 have passed. As for “royalty,” that is someone else’s term. My FiL told me “when I die, I don’t want to be remembered as a good church man but a good man.” That, he was.
Acts-pert Poster
6/21/22 8:47 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
......My FiL told me “when I die, I don’t want to be remembered as a good church man but a good man.” That, he was.

I believe that! Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/21/22 9:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic