Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Name changes and Community Churches

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Name changes and Community Churches Cojak
I just received a message from a friend back in NC. She has been a member of a local BAptist Church for over 50 years. Last week without previous announcement a vote was taken by the 'church pastor and council' to change the name of the church dropping the 'Baptist' from the name.

She says she is praying for direction, her first impression was to seek another church.

I smiled down inside before I answered her from experience. Most of us older COG members felt the same as names were changed and even in many cases our church emblem was dropped for the signage for the church. It became frustrating for travelers looking for a COG in a new town to actually locate OUR COG, LOL.

I have learned to live with it, but had never thought OLD folks in the Baptist denomination would ever face that.

Did it bother you? Or does it bother you?

I do know in our area there is still some hard feelings about it. We have lost members to local Community Churches because the members have a say-so in the leadership & finances of those churches... Shocked Embarassed Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/30/22 12:05 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It is a fad that has been happening for several years. Now, they go with a nickname for the church. “the River,” “the Point,” “the Side.” It’s just too cool.Smile BTW, way before it’s time, Mt Paran was known as “the Mount.” Acts-pert Poster
3/31/22 8:14 am

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It is a fad that has been happening for several years. Now, they go with a nickname for the church. “the River,” “the Point,” “the Side.” It’s just too cool.Smile BTW, way before it’s time, Mt Paran was known as “the Mount.”

Thumb Up Smile
3/31/22 9:48 am

Post FLRon
Sorry, but I find it astounding that a 50 year member of a church would contemplate leaving because of a name change. I get that she is upset because the congregation did not have a say in the decision. That was a wrong thing to do in my opinion. But if I’m being honest, and I mean no disrespect, her decision reeks of spiritual immaturity.

In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter what the sign says so long as it’s a Christian church? This kind of thinking is exactly why our young people want nothing to do with denominations. They equate them with the generation that demands entitlements. Me Me Me Me. And yes, I am well aware that my generation paid for all of the things we all love and enjoy in our churches.

All of this reminds me of a brother who said he was leaving our church after nearly 20 years of faithful service to the Lord. His reason for leaving? He was upset that brother “John” wasn’t being asked to sing often enough any more. Never mind that brother John was getting along in years and struggled to sing. No, he wanted his favorite singer to sing or else he was leaving. And he did.

Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone who disagrees with my comments, but at some point we need to get to the place where it’s not about me, but Him.
3/31/22 4:41 pm

Post Cojak
FLRon wrote:
Sorry, but I find it astounding that a 50 year member of a church would contemplate leaving because of a name change. I get that she is upset because the congregation did not have a say in the decision. That was a wrong thing to do in my opinion. But if I’m being honest, and I mean no disrespect, her decision reeks of spiritual immaturity.

In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter what the sign says so long as it’s a Christian church? This kind of thinking is exactly why our young people want nothing to do with denominations. They equate them with the generation that demands entitlements. Me Me Me Me. And yes, I am well aware that my generation paid for all of the things we all love and enjoy in our churches.

All of this reminds me of a brother who said he was leaving our church after nearly 20 years of faithful service to the Lord. His reason for leaving? He was upset that brother “John” wasn’t being asked to sing often enough any more. Never mind that brother John was getting along in years and struggled to sing. No, he wanted his favorite singer to sing or else he was leaving. And he did.

Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone who disagrees with my comments, but at some point we need to get to the place where it’s not about me, but Him.

I am sure there is more to it than the name change. The thing was that there is a big imagination by pastors or members of a 'dying' church, that change the name and we will grow. That has proved true in a small % that I know of, but as a general rule in the area I have lived the name change 'DID NOT' equal growth, as a matter of fact the three I am thinking of have declined.
I believe most sincere folk, looking at our declining churches know there are logical reasons. In the south mills have closed, here in Florida Citrus businesses are dying, therefore jobs leave. leaving the Elders. Then there is leadership that plays a part.

But in the case I used above this is not a close friend, I do not know which Baptist church she attends. She is a GOOD Internet friend, meaning we do correspond back and forth I have met her brother and husband at antique car cruise-ins, but not her. Just sayin'
Wink and of course no offense taken. Cool

BTW.. I want John to sing more myownself! Very Happy
3/31/22 4:56 pm

Post SCFIRE
If you haven't changed the inside to explain the name change outside, then it is useless.
Only when you outgrow the old name, will the new name be invitational and doing what it is designed to do.
3/31/22 7:06 pm

Post Cojak
SCFIRE wrote:
If you haven't changed the inside to explain the name change outside, then it is useless.
Only when you outgrow the old name, will the new name be invitational and doing what it is designed to do.

that would explain a lot! Embarassed
4/1/22 10:04 am

Post Re: Name changes and Community Churches georgiapath
Cojak wrote:
I just received a message from a friend back in NC. She has been a member of a local BAptist Church for over 50 years. Last week without previous announcement a vote was taken by the 'church pastor and council' to change the name of the church dropping the 'Baptist' from the name.

She says she is praying for direction, her first impression was to seek another church.

I smiled down inside before I answered her from experience. Most of us older COG members felt the same as names were changed and even in many cases our church emblem was dropped for the signage for the church. It became frustrating for travelers looking for a COG in a new town to actually locate OUR COG, LOL.

I have learned to live with it, but had never thought OLD folks in the Baptist denomination would ever face that.

Did it bother you? Or does it bother you?

I do know in our area there is still some hard feelings about it. We have lost members to local Community Churches because the members have a say-so in the leadership & finances of those churches... Shocked Embarassed Cool

We were told that Cleveland wanted it changed and that the younger generation wasn't as hung up on the COG name as the older generation. So it was changed. The reality is that they are hoping people won't know it's COG.

It did bother me, seemed dishonest. I wouldn't go to a church not knowing what it was. We have a new one in town called "Christ Reformed Baptist Church" have no idea what that is. Wonder if they ever know. Laughing
Acts-dicted
4/2/22 10:09 am

Post georgiapath
BTW.. I want John to sing more myownself! Very Happy[/quote]

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
4/2/22 10:16 am

Post sheepdogandy
A dear friend who lives in another state.
Along with an official of their denomination.
Was counseling a troubled Pastor.
"I have tried everything, singing groups, hot dogs, etc..., yet nothing seems to work." The Pastor said with a sigh.
My friend replied.
"But have you tried the Holy Ghost?"

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/15/22 2:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic