Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Doyle Daugherty Has Passed Away
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Doyle Daugherty Has Passed Away shaunbwilson
It is with a sad heart that I share with each of you that Doyle Daugherty, the founder of Acts-celerate, has passed away.

His son David shares on Facebook: "He went quickly, quietly, and peacefully. Please keep my immediate family, and all of his brothers and sisters in your prayers. Arrangements to be announced..."

Doyle was 75.

Doyle held a special place in my heart. He was a friend of my family. We met when he worked with my dad for the Church of God in New York some 40 years ago. My dad, who worked alongside him in the capacity of Evangelism Director for NY, once told me that Doyle had one of the most creative evangelistic minds of anyone he had ever met. I had the honor of working alongside him in missions in both Russia and India. As you know, he was a driving force as a poster here on Acts-celerate.

What many did not see as much as me is that he administered the board with a pastor's heart. In every circumstance of which I'm aware, if Doyle felt someone had gone too far on the board, he invited them to call him. Behind the scenes, he gave many, many posters many, many chances, allowing them room to grow as people and as Christians in community with other Christians on this board. He was one of the most open-minded people I knew while also still being a man of strong Christian moral conviction. He was always open to trying to view the perspective of others as long as it fit within the realm of a Christian worldview. He had wisdom that will be sorely missed and a gentle, encouraging voice that I will personally miss speaking into my life.

Of course, Doyle is now in the community of believers that had passed on before him and in the presence of the Lord they loved and served. I hope he has already had the chance to catch up with my dad.

Please feel free to share your wonderful memories of Doyle here. I know no one will miss him more than the community here. And I know everyone here will "sticky" his memory in their hearts for a long time to come.

Last edited by shaunbwilson on 6/30/22 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Site Admin
3/20/22 5:29 pm

Post georgiapath
This males me so sad, he was such a nice person and will be missed. I am so sorry for the familys loss.

I have enjoyed posting on Acts and the people here are like friends.
Acts-dicted
3/20/22 5:52 pm

Post Cojak
I never had the pleasure of meeting Doyle. But have come to respect and love him. God bless, comfort and care for the family. Prayers here...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/20/22 8:38 pm

Post UncleJD
You never realize just how much someone contributed until they're gone. In this small, seemingly trivial space we call "Acts", I have learned many things and shared my heart with others many times over the last 15 years or so. Doyle never, not one time, seemed unfair or overly controlling even though I expected on more than one occasion to be banned, it never happened, he would correct me a few times and I accepted it in the graceful way he gave it. I will miss him and I'm thankful for the little corner of my life that he shined into. God Speed Doyle! Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/21/22 8:26 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Acts-celerate has been so overtaken by other forms of social media and online communication that it's easy to forget how innovative and cutting-edge it once was. But for many, many years Acts-celerate was the ONLY place where ministers and parishoners in the Church of God could gather together online to have frank and safe discussions about the issues they were facing. Doyle once joked with me that the power grid in Cleveland dipped on Monday mornings as people logged into Acts -- a comment probably not far from the truth, though still conveyed with his trademark humility and grace.

Doyle committed his money and untold amounts of his time to providing and maintaining that forum because of his love for the church and his ceaseless desire to serve its members. I will second everything Shaun said about his character -- he was truly one of a kind. I am blessed to have known him and look forward to one day seeing him again.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/21/22 8:30 am

Post JLarry
When I met Doyle I pastored a small church in N. Ga. As a young preacher of a small church I had a problem feeling like I did not fit in. Doyle was always encouraging. He had a gift of making me feel important.

Several years later we were at the General Assembly. Doyle phoned me and asked if I knew of a good place to stay. He had been preaching in Ca. and came by the Assembly on the way home.
That year we were at a B&B so he and Linda got a room there.

At the Assembly no one was better to hang with than Doyle. He knew all the Execs, I knew very few. He would recommend someone or tell me what kind of person he thought they were.

We became very good friend that I will always cherish.

In fact I was talking about him to a mutual friend and told my other friend I need to call Doyle. Now I sure wish I would have called.

When he started Acts he phoned me and asked if I would be a Moderator.

Doyle I know you will enjoy your new home. Love you Brother.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
3/21/22 9:12 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I’m sorry to hear this news, though I rejoice in his transition. Though I never met him face to face, as one who has participated in Actscelerate since 1999 when it was still on the EZ-Board platform, I can say Doyle was always fair in my estimation. Go with God, brother. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/21/22 9:20 am

Post Cojack JLarry
You would have loved Doyle.

One of the greatest men I ever knew.

Acts Mod
3/21/22 9:25 am

Post JLarry
Linda if you read this, I will be praying for you and your children and grandchildren.

Acts Mod
3/21/22 9:39 am

Post I always admired Doyle's ability... roughridercog
To deal with even controversial issues with Christian diplomacy. I mourn his passing but rejoice at his reward
3/21/22 9:46 am

Post Roger Woodard
Just shock, that's how it was when I heard the news. Doyle was special & a friend since I met him through Dave Lorency in Chicago late 70's. He was editor of Vision Magazine & he was bold & innovative. He was a riot to be around. He invited my entire team to Long Island to minister in the Commack Church. He came to Kings Mountain to edit my T.V. program, "Voice of Triumph". He stayed in my home while here to do that task. I weep, hurt & ache just knowing he's gone from us. So many leaving here in such rapid succession. Enjoy Jesus Doyle & Linda & family, our prayers are for you. Hey, DOC
3/21/22 11:28 am

Post Re: Cojack Cojak
JLarry wrote:
You would have loved Doyle.

One of the greatest men I ever knew.

Thumb Up
You are saying a lot, thanks.... I wish I had known him..
3/21/22 2:39 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I'm really sorry to hear of this news. I never met Doyle, either, but he was always kind and very responsive to concerns and wanted different viewpoints. He almost always made a point of telling me how valued I was on the board and that he respected my opinion.

As one of the non-clergy here, that meant a lot.

Many ministers have made fun of ACTs but few realize what an important place it was before social media became popular. And it never would have happened or continued without his passion for caring for people/ministry.

Thank you, Doyle, for bring us together. We celebrate your homegoing but mourn the passing of our friend and mentor.

Shaun, please pass on information re: his celebration of life. Perhaps we could send flowers from the group like we did for Bonnie. Please let me know if you're interested. I'd be glad to head that up if needed.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/21/22 5:38 pm

Post georgiapath
Had he been sick or was this unexpected? I am in shock. Acts-dicted
3/21/22 6:43 pm

Post georgiapath
Carolyn Smith wrote:
I'm really sorry to hear of this news. I never met Doyle, either, but he was always kind and very responsive to concerns and wanted different viewpoints. He almost always made a point of telling me how valued I was on the board and that he respected my opinion.

Many ministers have made fun of ACTs but few realize what an important place it was before social media became popular. And it never would have happened or continued without his passion for caring for people/ministry.

Thank you, Doyle, for bring us together. We celebrate your homegoing but mourn the passing of our friend and mentor.

Shaun, please pass on information re: his celebration of life. Perhaps we could send flowers from the group like we did for Bonnie. Please let me know if you're interested. I'd be glad to head that up if needed.
Acts-dicted
3/21/22 6:44 pm

Post georgiapath
georgiapath wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I will be happy to send some money, I can send a check, I don't do anything on line pertaining to money. Let me know.
Acts-dicted
3/21/22 6:48 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Thumb Up
3/21/22 7:02 pm

Post He was the cutting edge.... Aaron Scott
Carl Richardson and Doyle Daugherty were the most visionary leaders in the Church of God. I recall back when Doyle published and sent out a newspaper/periodical that took incredibly bold steps. He was saying things that no one else had the guts to say. He was fearless.

There are things we would have never known had Doyle not been a conduit of non-authorized thought about matters in the Church of God. Yet he did it with love for the Church of God. He simply called them as he saw them.

When Actscelerate came along--somewhere in the late 1990s, if I recall correctly--it was THE PLACE TO BE. In fact, because it did not toe the authorized denominational line, it not only kept the 4th Floor of Headquarters fixated (after all, who knew what would be said next), but it allowed ministers to finally say things that they would have not DARED to say if they had to use their own name.

it wasn't that people were telling lies behind a pen name, but that there were legit criticisms that would have still have likely drawn some form of retaliation. Frankly, some didn't write with great diplomacy, and if you hurt the feelings of, say, an overseer, and if he knows who you are, he may not go out of his way to retaliate, but he likely wouldn't go out of his way to help you either. Just saying....

In any case, you had men who, not used to any criticism, denounced Actscelerate. You even had some men preach against it (or at least include it in sermons to sizeable audiences).

But over time, when leaders who sometimes abused their position realized that they might make the pages of Actscelerate, there seemed to be a noticeable reduction in such criticisms (because, apparently, there was also a reduction in abusive/problematic behaviors).

Some of you have not been here as long as others of us, so suffice it to say that it was NOTHING UNUSUAL for multiple threads to get more than 30 posts a day--BY DIFFERENT POSTERS.

Some of us tend to do most of our posting on the Facebook site called "The Excellent Ministry of the Church of God." But make no mistake, there would not have been that FB page had there not first been an Actscelerate! Doyle went first, taking the lumps and lashes from many critics. Finally, when it became largely acceptable to speak your mind regarding the COG, it enabled others to set up shop.

We had some incredible discussions back in the day. Theological, political, etc. If you go the Actscelerate index and go to HOT DISCUSSIONS, you'll see there were some wild, sometimes angry and heated, but more often brotherly, discussions about a wide range of things.

The Excellent Ministry of the Church of God allows for wide discussions, but the ability to use a pen name allowed, I believe, deeper and wider discussion about a matter. If we have to post under our own name, we often will not say what's REALLY on our minds.

Of course, some used their pen names to be pretty rotten. Others who used their real names would sometimes criticize those who used pen names...but the ones who used their real names didn't typically say anything that might have cost them in terms of advancement, etc. That doesn't mean they weren't bold! They were. It's just that you likely will hedge if you have a complaint that will be under your own name.

Over time, as people moved on or, in some cases (like mine) were banned repeatedly until we no longer had our pen names available to us, and as the FB site took us from this first-generation form of social media to third and fourth generation form of social media, Actscelerate became a bit like Radiator Springs (from the movie "Cars"). But it had done it's work. Doyle's site was the PIONEER that broke the trail, established some best practices, etc.

I had urged Doyle to do a sort of amnesty for all the banned posters, hoping that it would draw back enough of an audience to make Actscelerate a going concern again. And while he did not do that, he actually wrote me several times asking if I would be interested in him un-banning my old pen name. It would have been nice, but I didn't see any particular use of doing that unless we had a whole lot more traffic. It would be too easy to figure out who was posting (and some of you already think you know).

In any case, I loved Doyle. I know that my father, even as dedicated as he was/is to the Church of God, felt that Doyle's newspaper was an important voice that needed to be heard, bringing balance to various situations.

I don't know that I have ever enjoyed posting more than on Actscelerate. It was there that I would encounter some really good students of scripture, allowing for a really great discussion (all the better because I could say things that I wouldn't have wanted to say under my own name, since it might get me looked at askance, etc.).

Over the years, this site opened my eyes. I still recall the first time I read a post criticizing Ray H. Hughes--my favorite preacher. Even though I'm sure it was relatively tame, I taken aback! In time, I realized that even this preacher hero of mine was still just a man. He made mistakes...and he made incredible strides for the Kingdom. That was likely a part of my maturing process. It helped me see things from a different perspective.

I made many friends (some of whom I still don't know their real names), many more acquaintances, and, sadly, perhaps an enemy or two (though that is from their end, not mine, since I do respect them).

In any case, Doyle, wow, what you created changed the Church of God. It made us bolder, I think, about questioning everything from theological positions, church ideas, leadership direction, and the denominational party line.

BEST OF ALL, IT WAS FUN!!!

God bless you, Doyle. You will be remembered until the day we see you again.
3/21/22 7:36 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
georgiapath wrote:
Had he been sick or was this unexpected? I am in shock.

I was not FB friends with Doyle. He had a couple of accounts, one of which I sent a request to, but apparently I never heard back and never followed up. However, there are a couple of posts I could see re: his situation.

He woke up early Saturday morning with pain and discomfort. He was taken to the ER and shortly after getting there, his heart stopped for 16 minutes. It was determined at some point he had a heart attack. He was revived and put on life support. It sounds like when they did testing on him later, there was no meaningful brain activity (I'm paraphrasing) plus he had congestive heart failure and kidney failure. His family decided it would be best to take him off of life support and he passed away some time after they did that.

His son commented, among other things, that ..."he went quickly, quietly, and peacefully."
3/21/22 10:09 pm

Post georgiapath
[quote="Carolyn Smith"]
georgiapath wrote:
Had he been sick or was this unexpected? I am in shock.

I was not FB friends with Doyle. He had a couple of accounts, one of which I sent a request to, but apparently I never heard back and never followed up. However, there are a couple of posts I could see re: his situation.

He woke up early Saturday morning with pain and discomfort. He was taken to the ER and shortly after getting there, his heart stopped for 16 minutes. It was determined at some point he had a heart attack. He was revived and put on life support. It sounds like when they did testing on him later, there was no meaningful brain activity (I'm paraphrasing) plus he had congestive heart failure and kidney failure. His family decided it would be best to take him off of life support and he passed away some time after they did that.

His son commented, among other things, that ..."he went quickly, quietly, and peacefully."[/quote

Thanks, Carolyn.
Acts-dicted
3/22/22 4:26 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic