Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

For many years most COG churches had choirs

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post For many years most COG churches had choirs Cojak
My thoughts on Choirs. I like 'em. Trained choirs are good, but not important in my opinion. Volunteer singers like to sing and it is a way to 'be a part'.
Is a Choir important to you or your church?

If you do not have a choir, is it your choice or because you do not have the people? Is it a headache? Or is the Praise team preferred.

Presently our church does not have a choir because at present we do not have the people.

I am assuming music is important in worship, Maybe I am wrong.

Also I have missed Solo's and other special singing by our local people. We do have one young may who sings occasionally and does a Great job, the people are blessed.

I just thought I would ask..... Thanks.

Also the congregations used to know when to stand and when to sit. Very seldom did someone say, Stand with me, or you may be seated!

I just threw that in for fun...

Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/4/22 8:42 pm

Post FLRon
Our church does not have a choir because we don’t have committed people who are willing to put in the practice time. Part of that is because we are a mostly senior congregation and many feel like they’ve “done their time”. I really don’t like that attitude either, but it is what it is.

I’ve been a part of two amazing choirs and really enjoyed them.
3/5/22 2:37 pm

Post Choir and etc 4thgeneration
Our church has a choir. It was decimated by covid, during which people got out of the habit of choir practice and etc (from 45 on most Sundays down to 15). But it's now rebuilding into a strong choir again. Along with a choir and praise team, we have the band and a section of "horns." Our church has always been a choir church, so there is a lot of excitement in seeing that ministry rebuild again.

I think choirs are great because they give more people opportunity to use their voice/talent in singing. There are numerous people that may not have a solo voice, but can sing their part and stay in tune. Providing an outlet for them is important IMO. Why only let 3-5 people sing with mics when you can let the larger number sing with them?

I'm not big on people singing "specials" in church. Please don't be offended by my next statement. They usually aren't... special that is. And they almost never flow with the service. Also, people tend to want to turn their 3 minute solo/special into a 5 minute "testimony" before they sing. I say if people want to sing, join the choir. Build the praise team (if you have one along with the choir) from the choir. And find your soloists for the worship/choir songs also from those who sing in the choir.

I'm thankful to see choirs coming back into fashion. For some churches they are more worship choirs. In others they are open choirs where everyone is invited to "come to the choir" and sing. And in others they are rehearsed choirs that sing arranged music. I've experienced the presence of God through all those different types of choirs. So I'm just thankful to see those churches that are able to, give more people opportunity to use their voice in a choir.
Acts Enthusiast
3/14/22 12:56 pm

Post Cojak
I have enjoyed reading your comments and opinions. I think a choir is a great addition to our church services and WORSHIP!
This line from 4th expresses how I feel:
....... I think choirs are great because they give more people opportunity to use their voice/talent in singing. There are numerous people that may not have a solo voice, but can sing their part and stay in tune. Providing an outlet for them is important IMO. ........
I do agree.
Hope everyone is getting warm now that Spring is near....
Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/14/22 9:39 pm

Post skinnybishop
We had a choir, before Covid.

When we resumed services, it was difficult to have a choir, because of social distancing, people were afraid, etc. So we just used a praise team.

Then, our Music Director retired. Since then, we have been working with an interim director, and have a different piano player each week. I would like to see the choir return, but we don't have the commitment or the consistency to do so right now.
3/15/22 9:36 am

Post georgiapath
We don't have one now, I miss having it too. . Acts-dicted
4/28/22 7:49 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic