Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Feel like my hearing is getting worse

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Feel like my hearing is getting worse roughridercog
My wife and I sit in the church vestibule because the volume of the music makes me extremely dizzy. I also have trouble understanding women's voices through the speakers. I hear Charlie Browns teacher, WAH WAH WAH. I have no trouble understanding a lower toned mans voice.
I'm having my hearing reevaluated tomorrow and adjusting hearing aids.

But this is aggravating.

What advice can I give? If you have hearing impaired in your congregation, turn things down just a tad. Plus if you have higher toned voices, women or high tenors, instruct them to speak slower.

It's easy for people with hearing difficulties to feel isolated even in their own church.
12/27/21 7:31 am

Post georgiapath
It's that way in most churches now days, the young think the louder, the better. They will all be deaf one of these days but it will be too late then. Good luck getting thru to them. Acts-dicted
12/28/21 8:31 pm

Post Re: Feel like my hearing is getting worse Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
My wife and I sit in the church vestibule because the volume of the music makes me extremely dizzy. I also have trouble understanding women's voices through the speakers. I hear Charlie Browns teacher, WAH WAH WAH. I have no trouble understanding a lower toned mans voice.
I'm having my hearing reevaluated tomorrow and adjusting hearing aids.

But this is aggravating.

What advice can I give? If you have hearing impaired in your congregation, turn things down just a tad. Plus if you have higher toned voices, women or high tenors, instruct them to speak slower.

It's easy for people with hearing difficulties to feel isolated even in their own church.

Very true and very good advice. When I hve hd a pastor I KNEW would understand the situations I would talk with him about hearing. I cannot count the times in leaving the church I have asked a friend, ' What was said there at the end tonight?" the answer 9 of ten times. "I have no idea, I can't tell you."

I made the mistake of asking one pastor, if he could slow down just a bit. His answer was, "God gives it to me so fast, I can hardly keep up myself!"

I just think now, "I am sure God wants us to understand what is said, if possible.

HEARING IS a big Problem.... Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/28/21 8:40 pm

Post Some thoughts (from someone with hearing problems)... Aaron Scott
First, there is the positive: I can act like I don't hear my wife telling me to do something I don't want to do. Now, I don't lie and say I didn't hear her. No, I just act surprised when she walks up to me and says "Didn't you hear me?"

"What do you mean? Were you talking?" (SMILE...but I think she has been on to me for a while, since she still makes me do the stuff I "didn't hear.")

Second, a good sound man can do wonders. One of the best lessons I learned (from Gary Apple--someone even the Gaither's wanted to do their sound) was that high frequency hurts our ears...but that lower-end sounds can be just as loud, but we do not feel like our ears are hurting (even if our body is thumping). Also, there are devices that allow you to control the sounds that come to your headset. That is, you can control the general volume...as well as adjust the individual mixes (e.g., turn up the piano, turn down the vocals--or even a single vocal--etc.). That might be a way forward.

Third, as I'm sure you are aware, cupping your ears typically allows for better hearing (when your hearing starts going, sound can get muddy and confused). Of course, this is a bit awkward, but you and I are at the age where we bask in the discomfort of young people, so.... (SMILE)

Fourth, use it to your advantage to "control" the church. Old folks--especially tithers--can get the temperatures and volume "fixed" more easily than a teenager. Also, if possible, use it to bring back the after-Sunday School penny march.

Yours Truly,

Screwtape
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/29/21 8:11 am

Post Re: Some thoughts (from someone with hearing problems)... Cojak
[quote="Aaron Scott"]First, there is the positive:............, use it to bring back the after-Sunday School penny march.

Yours Truly,
Ahha! I didn't know you were THAT OLD!!!
However I suggest a change in name the dime march. Wait,, name (March of Dimes) is already used... Quarter march then!

Love y'all!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/29/21 1:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic