Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The House of the Lord Is in Shambles (Pics)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The House of the Lord Is in Shambles (Pics) shaunbwilson
A couple of weeks ago in a post titled International Christmas Giving Opportunity, I shared about the Detuyas—pastors of a church in the Philippines whose family of 6 has slept on the altar of their church for 15 years. As I shared in this update, the funds have been donated to complete the Detuya's new parsonage, which is attached to their church building in Cabadbaran City, Philippines.

However, since I posted that original need, this new need has emerged as a result of Typhoon Odette. Typhoon Rai, known in the Philippines as Typhoon Odette, was the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane. The eye of this typhoon passed within about 50 miles of Cabadbaran City where the family was when the typhoon ripped through. However, the eye was only about 10 miles from the other church this couple pastors in Surigao City, Philippines. (They ride the 60 miles from Cabadbaran City to Surigao City by motorbike after the morning service each Sunday to preach at 2 PM in Surigao City.)

It destroyed the Surigao City church late last week. See the photos below:

This church, called Roxas Church in Surigao City, has 50 adult members and 30 children who attend. The church pictured above is "light construction," and was 12 years old. Sadly, the typhoon has badly damaged the church foundation, and the church will need to be completely rebuilt to be a safe and longstanding church.

The members of this church fully paid for the construction of the original, "light construction" church—building what they could with their own volunteer work and giving in the offering for the material and skilled labor necessary to do the rest. The typhoon has damaged the houses of the congregants who all live nearby. They are currently working to rebuild their own homes and replace their furniture, clothes, and other belongings that were lost to this typhoon. They cannot currently afford to rebuild their own homes right now, let alone pay to rebuild this church.

I asked the Detuyas to share with me what it will cost to replace this church in case any of their brothers and sisters in the United States would feel the Lord leading them to help this congregation rebuild. I asked them to share two costs: The cost to build a church that will legally allow occupancy and will be a safe place to worship, and also the cost to build a church that is "finished," which means it includes chairs, a pulpit, and flooring with tiles. Further, I stipulated that the building should be concrete so that it will withstand another typhoon, should another one arrive.

The cost to build the most basic 33' x 24' concrete building that will be safe to worship in and from which to minister to the surrounding community is $3,045.88. This includes the concrete materials for posts and walls, the materials for a roof, two skilled laborers for two weeks, and the rest of the work done by volunteers.

The cost to build a fully furnished 33' x 24' concrete building is $7,162.41. This includes concrete materials, a roof, skilled laborers for more of the work (the congregants will still want to also volunteer their time as their personal offering to the Lord), doors, floor tiles, windows, chairs, and a pulpit.

If interested in contributing to this project:

Sending a check eliminates processing fees and gets more funding into ministry. Checks may be sent to:
World Class Cities Ministries
PO Box 92454
Lakeland, FL 33804

Secure Online Donations may be made through PayPal.

Church of God World Missions Number: 1029053 (Please PM or email me to specify that your contribution is for Roxas Church.)

========

PS:

I am also attempting to gather information about 10 families in this church who have lost their homes in Typhoon Odette and what it will take to help them rebuild. Below are the pictures of their homes and what remains of their belongings. I humbly request that you pray for these 10 families—thanking God that He has kept them safe from the storm and asking Him to help them recover from this devastation as their Provider and Comforter.

Last edited by shaunbwilson on 12/22/21 4:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Site Admin
12/21/21 8:02 pm

Post Cojak
Terrible storm... Prayers for those there. Will plan to send a donation first of the year through our local church. Cool

Will use 1029053
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/22/21 9:19 am

Post shaunbwilson
Thank you, Cojack! I know both your prayers and donation will be a big blessing to them!
12/22/21 2:39 pm

Post shaunbwilson
Hello again, all. I wanted to share the testimony of what God has been doing for Roxas Church. I was able to begin the transfer of funds on Friday to allow the Detuyas to complete their parsonage in Cabadbaran City and to help with the beginning of rebuilding efforts in Surigao. Thank you to those who have donated, those who have pledged, and to those who have prayed for these churches.

The Detuyas sent pictures this morning celebrating the completion of reroofing the existing structure at Roxas Church. While this is only a short-term solution, it was important to the church community to be able to have a place to worship and give thanks during a New Year's Eve Celebration Service. The roofing materials can be reused for the new concrete building once their building fund allows them to move forward with it. Here are the pictures I received of the reroofing project:

The Detuyas report that the roofing was finished on Dec. 29. The congregants of the church will spend December 30 cleaning up the church from the reroofing project and the remaining typhoon debris, and they are so grateful to God that they will be able to ring in the new year worshiping Him under the new roof He has provided through your efforts.

I additionally asked the Detuyas to send some pictures showing the damage to the structural integrity of the building. Below are some pictures that show why the existing structure is not a safe long-term solution. You can see here that there are cracks to the foundation and damage to the wooden frame.

Thank you again to each of you who has demonstrated such love and concern for our brothers and sisters in the Philippines!
12/29/21 3:04 pm

Post Cojak
Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/1/22 8:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic