Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

About the Second Amendment....

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post About the Second Amendment.... Aaron Scott
I imagine most of us believe strongly in the right to bear arms. But where do we draw the line? Should a citizen be allowed to have the very same weapons the military has? If so, does that mean the right to a nuclear missile, etc.?

Most of us would agree, I think, that, no, it does not mean you get to have long-range artillery, a bomber jet, or weapons of mass destruction, etc.

BUT WHERE IS THE LINE?

I think it is found in the language of the 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Notice "and BEAR arms." This is not bomb-proof, of course, but I think that it has value. You can have weapons that you can BEAR (hold, carry, lift, etc.) If it goes beyond that, maybe it IS too much for the body politic to handle.

Also, someone sent a meme the other day that pointed out that the government didn't give us this right, but that instead the gov't is instructed to not INFRINGE upon this right.

Just some thoughts.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/28/21 10:55 am

Post Re: About the Second Amendment.... UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
I imagine most of us believe strongly in the right to bear arms. But where do we draw the line? Should a citizen be allowed to have the very same weapons the military has? If so, does that mean the right to a nuclear missile, etc.?

Most of us would agree, I think, that, no, it does not mean you get to have long-range artillery, a bomber jet, or weapons of mass destruction, etc.

BUT WHERE IS THE LINE?

I think it is found in the language of the 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Notice "and BEAR arms." This is not bomb-proof, of course, but I think that it has value. You can have weapons that you can BEAR (hold, carry, lift, etc.) If it goes beyond that, maybe it IS too much for the body politic to handle.

Also, someone sent a meme the other day that pointed out that the government didn't give us this right, but that instead the gov't is instructed to not INFRINGE upon this right.

Just some thoughts.

I had a lawyer "friend" try to draw me into a ridiculous straw-man argument with this before. He tried to get me to bite on the "what about nukes?" line, but I told him I wouldn't argue with him like he's used to being a typical lawyer. He got testy and pretended he had won his argument anyway. I told him to pound sand. I like your assessment, I think its overly simplistic, but it has some merit. Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/28/21 11:19 am

Post Cojak
MY feelings do not go above the 30/50 cal Automatic weapons. I stick with the 'bear arms' although some of the 50 stuff takes two to bear it.

I have no desire at my age to even have anything above a 12 gauge and a 22 hand gun. All my good stuff, was stolen a few years ago and I have ot replaced them.

WE all know when the 2nd was written VERY FEW even considered anything flying with armament, much less nukes. I cannot get into those wise men's heads to draw up as good as they did.

BUT it is a very good discussion point, probably with no real winners. Sorta like JD's lawyer friend. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/28/21 6:19 pm

Post Bro Bob
I like your thinking. The more interesting phrase to me has always been, "... shall not be INFRINGED". Don't touch it, don't mess with it. Leave it like you found it. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/28/21 6:51 pm

Post FLRon
I never considered the word “bear” arms to literally mean to be able to hold the armament. I always looked at the word “bear” arms as meaning to own or possess arms. I base that on the linguistics of the times that it was written. But, who really knows?
10/28/21 8:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic