Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Rules of COG ministry vs money

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Rules of COG ministry vs money Cojak
This subject was discussed in depth a few years ago when A local NC pastor found a lady on the internet, he then divorced his wife and married his new love. He gave up his COG license and gained license from another source and continued to pastor. In a few months he challenged the COG and eventually was given title of the properties because the debt was too much for NC offices to handle, The church became independent. It was named Core. I am not sure if that is a group or just that church.

In an unrelated incident the associate pastor of the N. Belmont COG was convicted of Child molestation at the church. That was the beginning of the death of that church.

As time went on the independent church Core could not pay the bills at their church. So someone suggested a way to save the N Bel church. Take the Core church back into the COG and let them modernize the n. Bel church and rename it to try to kill the stain brought on earlier by the Associate pastors stupidity.
To me so far nothing is amiss. Then my pastor told me that the newly reorganized COG will have the same pastor. Who left his wife for a new one. (I have a personal issue here because the divorced wife is the daughter of another COG pastor and a good friend of mine)

I am only assuming that his absence from the COG for a few years will count as his 'time of restitution.'

For years I have seen COG pastors with 'moral failures' go thru the church procedures to get reinstated. This seems a slap in the face of good men who 'stepped down' for a period of time. Voluntarily took counseling and returned to the ministry.

Is there another path for reinstatement?
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/10/21 10:57 am

Post Carolyn Smith
From what I know of the COG minutes, a minister who has been stripped of his credentials for moral failure must first be a faithful member in the COG for a period of time (usually at least six months or possibly longer.) They do have to go through a period of counseling and be subject to whomever is in authority over them before they can be restored. I guess it may depend on whether this man was stripped of his credentials or if he gave them up voluntarily. If he surrendered his credentials, I'm not sure what the process would be.

If you have questions about this situation, I would recommend you contact the administrative bishop for WNC, Dr. Kenneth Bell. He was a teacher while we were at ECBC (and our neighbor, actually.) He is a man of integrity and I believe he would discuss it with you if he can.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/10/21 8:13 pm

Post FLRon
Cojak, if the actual truth would ever be told about the subject of “reinstatement”, you would most likely not like what you hear. The reason I say this is because in spite of what the “official” mantra is, every decision is a case by case decision. Meaning, there are many factors that come into play when requesting reinstatement, and let’s just say that equal application of those factors is NOT the goal.
A lot depends on the same things that personnel decisions have always depended on in the COG, which I’m sure you know about.
8/11/21 2:33 pm

Post AdamJ
It is true the rules don’t count the same for everyone. It is who you know or who you are. Restoration is important for both the minister and the people they will minister in the future. Money should never matter above doing what is right. I know nothing about this cases, but I pray it is handled with integrity.! Hey, DOC
8/11/21 3:29 pm

Post The truth is... roughridercog
People can be reinstated with the stroke of a pen if it fits an agenda and they have good contacts.
8/12/21 7:21 am

Post georgiapath
And can bring in the money. That is always the name of the game. Acts-dicted
8/12/21 8:45 am

Post Cojak
I understand the comments and agree that over the years there has been preference treatment because of name or position. It is the situation here of a pastor having an affair, some say the affair was only in texts, and that made a difference. Sorry Carolyn, I cannot call anyone, I cannot talk on the phone.

My original question:

However this is a question, does turning in your license and then holding another license while pastoring independent OUT of the COG a few years, qualify as the restitution period?

Can a spin be put on that?

A side note. In talking to some of the N. Belmont members (that are now at our church) they were probably going to lose the church. The church was established in 1947 and over the years was a vibrant church. It was doing better than average in the GAston County area until the failure of the Associate pastor. Now the few members who were left are split in their feelings. Some will transfer to other Churches of God a couple will stay to join CORE, some will attend a local community church.
We who saw the N Belmnt COG as a landmark are sad to see the name go.

I am sure the Overseer (a good man) sees this as a way to rescue the N belmnt church. I understand they plan to leave it vacant for a couple mnths to try and give the impression the old is dead, before a resurrection as Core. I am also sure if the present pastor of Core is not allowed to continue that congregation would also disband.

My original question still sands. I am told the Overseer reads Acts, maybe he will text me or post here.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/12/21 9:41 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic