Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Survey

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Survey JLarry
Forty of fifty years ago when someone got saved we gathered around them and prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit.

I have not seen this happen in several years. In fact I have not seen anyone in the church we have attended more than four years receive the Holy Spirit.

Is this the norm today.

Pastors when is the last time you had anyone receive the Holy Spirit in your church? This concerns me.

Are our churches still Pentecostal?

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
8/1/21 7:40 am

Post SCFIRE
I ministered at a Church of God here in SC about 3 years ago and 4 got saved and 2 received the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. The Pastor there was an Ordained minister and when service was over he told a friend of mine that went with me that night, another Church of God member from another town that he knew how to pray sinners through but did not know how to lead them into being filled with the Holy Ghost. Now that is sad. What bothers me worse than that is that most of the Pentecostal churches that I see very seldom have an altar call and can't even remember when they had a salvation in the church.
I thought the church's mandate was to go out and compel them to come in. This is not just one denomination or one groups problem it is prevalent in non-denominational as well. It's time to get back to our Pentecostal distinctive. BTW, we do what so many pentecostals call entertainment with the lights, haze etc but we win souls to Christ every week and we have Holy Ghost infilling's as well. Pastors have forgotten why they are put in the pulpits.
8/1/21 2:28 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Over 20 years ago at a COG youth camp, my son had two COG ministers tell him he had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit when he had not spoken in tongues. When you receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, no one needs to tell you!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/1/21 5:04 pm

Post FLRon
I’ve been attending my church for less than three years. From mid 2018 to the present we have seen phenomenal growth, even during Covid. We are, however, still a relatively small congregation, numbering just under 150.

Unfortunately, very little of that growth has been new attributed to new people getting saved. It’s been mostly transfer growth and a few older folks returning after a long absence.

In my short time here, I’ve yet to see even one person receive the Holy Ghost. This despite several sermons about this very subject and an intensive new members class where this was covered in great detail.

Sadly, I had a person tell me that they didn’t want the Holy Ghost if that meant they might be called into deeper service for God. I was honestly shocked at such a statement. If this is the status of the church, we are in serious trouble.
8/6/21 8:01 pm

Post I had a member ask an honest question. roughridercog
"I've been around Pentecost all my life. Quite frankly if all the experience does is make you emotional and talk in tongues, what good is it? I do a lot more in the church and community than some who dance around and speak in tongues. Yet, everyone makes a big deal of it. Why?"

It forced honest introspection. How Pentecostal is the church if all we have is tongues? Reading the book of Acts, I'm forced to say that we are not as "Pentecostal" as we should be.
8/10/21 6:59 am

Post SCFIRE
Roughridercog, I'm always a little anxious when we say things that could take away the idea that speaking in tongues is a good thing or will make it less useful, but the post is right on. There are a lot more "evidences" of being filled with the Holy Ghost than just speaking in tongues. To many are running a quart low and they are sounding brass and a tinkling cymbal. I saw a statistic from a pentecostal church about results that ministry had over the years and I went back and did the math and it came down to 2 souls per month per minister that they had won to the Lord.
I know about the different callings and all that but I'm talking about Pastors that are leading the sheep and not showing them what to do. The 1st major thing that happened after pentecost was 3,000 got saved and then 5,000 more and then daily. Where is the fire? I'm with you on this.
8/10/21 8:06 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic