Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How Much Rest Does A Pastor Really Need?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How Much Rest Does A Pastor Really Need? Lonestar
I was raised as a PK in the Church of God. Our family took vacations — we would miss a Sunday or two during the summer & a Sunday during the Holidays. My dad retired from ministry in the 90’s. Since 2011, we have attended two non-denominational churches — one for almost eight years & this one now for going on three years. In both churches the pastors have taken extended sabbaticals during the summer & throughout the year, the pastor is present about eight months out of twelve.

I look back when my dad pastored & to the many friends pastoring today — they all take time off, but not to the extent of missing four months of Sundays each year.
7/18/21 10:36 am

Post FLRon
I had this conversation with someone from a Methodist church recently. He was telling me his pastor received a three month sabbatical. Wow.
7/21/21 8:20 pm

Post For discussions sake... roughridercog
How many of our pastors are bivocational? This adds stress and pressure to the ones already present in the pastorate.
Camp meeting isn't vacation.
Working youth camp isn't vacation.

Sometimes even vacation isn't vacation.

Want to know the truth? Far too many of us have never learned to relax and deal with stress. The idea of sabbatical is a good idea on paper but in all honesty, it's just too impractical for the largest percentage of our pastors and churches.
7/22/21 7:39 am

Post Da Sheik
Most COG churches don't have the leadership infrastructure to support a month(s) long sabbatical. Most COG churches don't have the financial resources to fund such an endeavor either. To pay a pastor's salary and also financial remuneration for pulpit supply would put a major strain on our smaller churches.

Let's face another fact. We don't do well with leadership vacuums. Many of our churches are built around the charisma of the senior pastor. In addition to his preaching ministry, he does most of the "hands-on" ministry as well. I'm not saying this is biblical at all.

How did the children of Israel do while Moses was on sabbatical? Aaron and his friends got together and formed a golden calf committee.
Acts Enthusiast
7/22/21 8:54 am

Post UncleJD
Is it actually "vacation" or is he ministering in other venues? I attend a large church as well and yes my pastor takes off a number of times a year, but I know at least half of those are in leading seminars and such that he really enjoys doing. Just curious. My pastor (and our shared pastor for most of the 80s/90s if you are who I think you are), worked way too hard sometimes and having lived across the street from him for a while I know he didn't get 2 days a week off like most of us non-pastors. But they don't make them like that anymore I don't think, he (and your dad) was a tough old bird.

that said, if your pastor is really off 4 months out of the year, then that seems excessive, but maybe he works 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 8 months ??
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/22/21 8:59 am

Post Cojak
Comments of RR and Da Sheik are spot on. I was raised as a PK. As a family we NEVER had a vacation where a motel or Hotel was used except for the General Assembly.
He treated 'His People' like family.
Dad considered Camp Meeting as a vacation and 'filling station' (his words). If dad had a fault it was putting the church above his family. Right or wrong, he still raised an over all well rounded family.
He would take us into the mountains and 'camp'. Meaning mom and dad slept in the car the kids outside on the ground in blankets. It was always mon/Tuesday or Thurs/Fri. LOL
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/22/21 10:59 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic