Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Cojak (or others who know contruction)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cojak (or others who know contruction) Aaron Scott
To increase the height of our fellowship hall, we recently removed the drop-down panel ceiling. A foot above that was another ceiling that had been covered by the drop-down ceiling.

However, there was a beam underneath, and running perpendicular to, the open rafter beams (the original ceiling, which we plan to refurbish, are wood strips nailed to the top of those rafter beams).

At first glance, you would think that the perpendicular beam, since it ran through the middle of the room, was some sort of support for the long expanse of unsupported rafters, but the beam did not rest on a concrete wall.
There were, however, some long bolts that held that beam in place, but that ran up through the rafters to some even higher point. As best we can tell, it was not a load-bearing beam. Further, there were no lights attached to it, etc.

Any idea what this might do? Ideally, we'd like to get rid of it, since it seems to serve no particular purpose and would somewhat hurt the aesthetics we are looking for in the room.

Any ideas?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/8/21 9:09 am

Post Cojak
Some 'beams' are wrapped in lumber nailed on and it is called a Laminate beam. I cannot remember the pitch of the roof, but many times such a beam is there to keep the roof from spreading at the bottom and flattening the whole roof out.
That exact thing happened here in Belmont, NC to a Baptist church, the whole wooden church came down.

You need to ask a local builder to look at it. Most carpenters could tell you if it is necessary.

I like the idea of raising the ceiling, even if you have to 'decorate' the 'beam'.

PS: It is hard for me to see the whole picture, but that is what I get from the post.

PS2: And I was just thinking this is the first time I have been to ACTS in a long time and nothing new. Then I made a comment on Carolyn and come back and here you are. LOL
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/8/21 9:26 am

Post Thank you, Cojak! Aaron Scott
I appreciate that a lot! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/8/21 12:21 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic