Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Scenario: Faithfulness vs. Talent

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Scenario: Faithfulness vs. Talent Aaron Scott
This is not an actual situation, but it might benefit those in similar situations....

Let's say that you have a mediocre piano player who is, nevertheless, very faithful to their position. Importantly, the pianist is a dedicated Christian.

Let's say that a new person begins attending church. This person is also a dedicated Christian...and is an exceptional pianist.

I think the choice would be easy enough if either were no dedicated Christians, but what about in this case?

Let's add that the current pianist simply does not have the capacity to go to a higher level, so more practice is out of the question.

What are your thoughts?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/17/21 10:18 am

Post Cojak
Probably jumping too soon, but I would 'vote' for faithfulness, UNLESS THE playing was atrocious...
Giving it more thought a discussion should be, with director (pastor) and both pianists.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/17/21 9:49 pm

Post I will go with faithful every time roughridercog
The standard for ministry positions, including the music department, must be kept high in my opinion.
5/18/21 8:00 am

Post Why either/or? 4thgeneration
IMO its a great opportunity to utilize both pianists. This allows the worship ministry to layer in songs that require a higher skill level and make room for that more skilled musician. It also maintains room for the less skilled person, as they are able to play as well. The rotation can be a weekly situation or a rotation by song selection. But the latter of those is a more delicate dance of moving back and forth during a service. IMO it wouldn't be difficult to schedule music choices based on which pianist is scheduled for that Sunday.

Honestly, this can be delicate, especially if the church hasn't been taught adequately the position of servant ministry. If there is a sense of ownership (I'M the church pianist/that is MY solo) it becomes a turf war. And sadly that is often the case as people value their position more than the position of serving.

Just my O!
Acts Enthusiast
5/19/21 1:53 pm

Post Re: Why either/or? Carolyn Smith
4thgeneration wrote:
IMO its a great opportunity to utilize both pianists. This allows the worship ministry to layer in songs that require a higher skill level and make room for that more skilled musician. It also maintains room for the less skilled person, as they are able to play as well. The rotation can be a weekly situation or a rotation by song selection. But the latter of those is a more delicate dance of moving back and forth during a service. IMO it wouldn't be difficult to schedule music choices based on which pianist is scheduled for that Sunday.

Honestly, this can be delicate, especially if the church hasn't been taught adequately the position of servant ministry. If there is a sense of ownership (I'M the church pianist/that is MY solo) it becomes a turf war. And sadly that is often the case as people value their position more than the position of serving.

Just my O!

I was thinking the same thing. The faithful pianist who has been there for years might appreciate a break! Give them both the opportunity to play, but it might be good to have a meeting and talk with the one who has been there a while. Let them know you are not pushing them out but are giving them both the opportunity to use their gift.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/20/21 8:42 pm

Post Cojak
Lately I am seeing something I never thought I would see. Our pianist (for years) was replaced to give her a break, but was never 'encouraged' to return. She told her mother she did not feel comfortable attending anymore.

I do think a lot has to do with this crazy pandemic and off and on church....

Before you think she is a stubborn person, SHE is the sweetest of Christians, very humble and unassuming. She is a good pianist, definitely as good as her replacement.

Most preachers REQUIRE MOOD music with their alter calls. Music as they talk. That drives my brain whacky with my hearing, it is like being in a noisy crowd. This lady is the only person on a piano that can keep it so low it never over rides a voice. Most musicians cannot do that. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/2/21 11:19 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic