Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should Your Church Be a Gatekeeper?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Should Your Church Be a Gatekeeper? Change Agent
Over the years I have been in different churches that viewed gatekeeping in different ways. By gatekeeping I mean using rules and statements of belief taken from the Bible to say "this is us". I have gone to some churches that just use the Bible as what we believe. Big issues are not made about church distinctives or highlights.

Having stated the two styles, which one is more biblical? Do Christians need to be controlled in though and actions with distinctives? Is the Bible not enough for a Christian to live by?

I have my own personal opinion and will share at some point? What say ye?
Acts Enthusiast
4/20/21 6:55 am

Post Some things to consider... Aaron Scott
While having rules and statements of believe can be misused and abused, the lack of them can also be abused.

Consider a new convert. It can take YEARS to grasp what the Bible is saying about this or that, rightly dividing the Word, etc. Ideally, we don't reinvent the wheel every time we have a new convert, but we deliver to them the truths that have been hard-won through dedication and long study.

If it was easy, we'd just hand them a Bible and say, "Read this and come back on Sunday." But we know better than that.

For one thing, there are people who will "game the system," to protect their own vices. For example, "I don't see anything that says I can't have a beer or two."

Right. But the deeper truth is about separation from the world and not letting your good be evil spoken of.

When our beliefs are solidly founded on the Word, with references provided, people can look them up and know for themselves.

One of the reasons there are so many denominations is precisely because people fail to rightly divide the Word. They are Christians, and they are sincere, but they latch on to this or that "distinctive" and make it the core of their beliefs (e.g., Sabbath for the 7th Day Adventists).

Sometimes, when a church is challenged, they remove the person who challenged them. See our own beginnings.

But over time, we come to a settled doctrine--one that had MANY MINDS focused on the matter, and many godly people seeking to understand what God is saying to us.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/20/21 7:08 am

Post You mean like our Declaration of Faith? roughridercog
I've always liked the idea of posting what we believe. That's better than posting what we're against.
4/20/21 7:09 am

Post Cojak
Thumb Up Thumb Up
To the comments so far. BOTH say it well. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/20/21 8:40 am

Post Cojak
Thumb Up Thumb Up

To the comments so far. BOTH say it well. Cool
I think I understand the OP. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/20/21 8:42 am