Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

CELIBATE, living-alone Pastor shares same-sex attraction with congregation (L).

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post CELIBATE, living-alone Pastor shares same-sex attraction with congregation (L). doyle
Some of my relatives, dedicated Bible-believing Christians, attend Memorial Presbyterian Church, PCA, in St. Louis. Though not paid staff, as weekly volunteers, they work closely with the Pastor and have much respect for him.

This link shows the church and several photos inside. The main link of his speaking to the congregation is listed at the end of this post. http://www.memorialpca.org/.

When visiting our relatives, Linda and I attended church with them. It was a traditional worship service with hearty congregational singing and strong Bible preaching. We were both blessed. Later, we learned there was an unusual situation at the church.

When the Mainline Presbyterian, USA organization decided in the early 1980's to ordain non-celibate gays and lesbians, many of their churches broke away and started the more conservative Presbyterian Church in America, PCA. Covenant Seminary in St. Louis and on Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, are part of the PCA.

The PCA, which ordains only men who profess traditional marriage, now has nearly 2,000 congregations. However, an exception in ordination has been made concerning the Pastor of Memorial Presbyterian in St. Louis.

Several times a year, he meets with a PCA supervisory board to re-affirm that he is celibate and living alone. He recently shared how difficult the COVID lock-down has been for him since other than church, he is alone.

In the video linked below, he spoke openly to his congregation about his struggle with same-sex attraction which began when he was young. He also shared his commitment to ministry and to following Apostle Paul's I Corinthians 7:8 admonition for those who are unmarried, to live alone.

After he shared with the congregation of about 300, which has numerous young and also senior adult couples, they asked him to remain as their Pastor.

I Corinthians Chapter 7 is about those in, or wanting to be in, traditional male and female marriage. There is no indication otherwise, but could verse 8 apply to other situations? I don't know. What do you think?

SPEAKING TO THE CONGREGATION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljAcjA_xMeU

LINK TO THE CHURCH
http://www.memorialpca.org/

Last edited by doyle on 4/9/21 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
4/9/21 1:08 am

Post There was a time... Aaron Scott
There was a time when we would have been outraged at even his celibate situation. After all, we held that he made the CHOICE to gay and have such feelings.

But now we know differently. We know that he didn't choose his orientation...but he can choose his actions.

I'm not sure that he should have announced his orientation, but either way, he is called, as a single person, straight or gay, to live a celibate life until marriage. And marriage not being a viable option, he is left to face the future with no real hope of things changing for him.

God MAY deliver Him. But from what I have heard, it is unlikely.

What a tough, but principled stand on his part.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/9/21 11:47 am

Post Why he may have gone public doyle
Aaron, not sure but I think he ultimately addressed the situation because after 15 years in ministry and still living alone, rumors began to circulate about his orientation.

My understanding is that when he addressed the situation, he was not sure he would be able to continue as Pastor. Was he wise in addressing it publicly? Tough decision.

With him growing up in an Atheistic household and his various struggles from youth, his journey into faith in Christ, is quite a story in itself.

I have listened online to several of his sermons linked from the church webpage. He is a strong Bible preacher; excellent content. We say that temptation is not sin, but does that apply to those who are tempted in ways we are not? As you so aptly stated, it is not an easy situation.

D
4/9/21 2:11 pm

Post Re: There was a time... UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
There was a time when we would have been outraged at even his celibate situation. After all, we held that he made the CHOICE to gay and have such feelings.

But now we know differently. We know that he didn't choose his orientation...but he can choose his actions..

No we don't, we only believe what CNN and the culture say about it. It has not been proven at all. What I would say is that at some point either he made a choice or events in his life led him into this and it may not be his "current" choice and therefore very difficult to change. I commend his openness about it though and hope he helps others to make the same stand. We know a gay man who once professed this (correctly) and was honest about his Biblical directive to remain celibate. That lasted about a year before God apparently changed His mind and was very happy for him to participate in homosexuality. I feel very sorry for him because his own words from a year before convict him now, although he won't admit it of course.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/12/21 8:17 am

Post Uncle JD, there are several reasons why I don't believe it is a choice.... Aaron Scott
First, we live in a broken, sinful world. Babies are born with horrific deformities. Some even are born with brains that will malfunction in some way, or will never be able to develop into maturity, etc. Do we suppose, then, that every child is hardcoded to be straight, decent, and honest?

We are born into a sinful world. HOWEVER, I don't believe anyone is BORN gay anymore than I was born straight. I'm really just trying to say that IF that were the case, it's certainly understandable as to why it would happen.

Second, there was never a moment in my life where I had to choose to be gay or straight. I was just straight. I didn't have to think about it, wrestle over it, or the such. I have come to believe that homosexuals feel the same way, but are gay.

Just as my straightness was no doubt created by observing my mother and father, as well as my aunts and uncles, and seeing that men liked women, so, too, might there be some sort of episode (or multiple episodes) in a child's life that that influences them--without any obvious choosing on their part--to a life of homosexuality. It could be molestations, a missing parent, etc. Who knows?

Next is a very logical reason: Who in the world would CHOOSE to be gay when it often means being shunned or denounced? Or beat up by rednecks? Or cost them the full fellowship of their family? NO ONE.

If I was shunned or denounced or beat up, etc., I still could not be anything other than straight. I would just have to deal with all the hate as best I could, since I couldn't just choose to be different.
4/12/21 11:09 am

Post Re: Uncle JD, there are several reasons why I don't believe it is a choice.... UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
First, we live in a broken, sinful world. Babies are born with horrific deformities. Some even are born with brains that will malfunction in some way, or will never be able to develop into maturity, etc. Do we suppose, then, that every child is hardcoded to be straight, decent, and honest?

We are born into a sinful world. HOWEVER, I don't believe anyone is BORN gay anymore than I was born straight. I'm really just trying to say that IF that were the case, it's certainly understandable as to why it would happen.

Second, there was never a moment in my life where I had to choose to be gay or straight. I was just straight. I didn't have to think about it, wrestle over it, or the such. I have come to believe that homosexuals feel the same way, but are gay.

Just as my straightness was no doubt created by observing my mother and father, as well as my aunts and uncles, and seeing that men liked women, so, too, might there be some sort of episode (or multiple episodes) in a child's life that that influences them--without any obvious choosing on their part--to a life of homosexuality. It could be molestations, a missing parent, etc. Who knows?

Next is a very logical reason: Who in the world would CHOOSE to be gay when it often means being shunned or denounced? Or beat up by rednecks? Or cost them the full fellowship of their family? NO ONE.

If I was shunned or denounced or beat up, etc., I still could not be anything other than straight. I would just have to deal with all the hate as best I could, since I couldn't just choose to be different.

Ok, I'll give you that it may not be a single "choice". I'd say "choices" that along the way lead to it. Choices or circumstances. But never "by birth", which is what the left says (Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" comes to mind). I normally say "nurture" over "nature".
But the act itself is a choice, it doesn't just accidently happen, it comes from a choice. We are not animals that can't act differently than our instincts.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/12/21 2:24 pm

Post Uncle JD, absolutely right... Aaron Scott
The ORIENTATION may be beyond one's control, but one's ACTIONS are their own responsibility.

However, I would add that the sexual drive is perhaps the most difficult instinct to control. Only a small minority reach 25 (I think that was the age) a virgin. Some of the is due to marriage; the rest is done by single folks.

I believe the CDC put out a report some years ago about virginity numbers.
4/12/21 8:19 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic