Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Georgia Church Condemns "Wicked & Extreme" Action of Church Member

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Georgia Church Condemns "Wicked & Extreme" Action of Church Member News & Views
https://www.baptistpress.com/resource-library/news/georgia-church-condemns-extreme-and-wicked-actions-of-member-initiates-church-discipline/

Man who shot eight people in Atlanta, was a member of their church.
3/22/21 10:44 am

Post Aren't they ... Mat
Aren't they fundamentalist's Baptist? So if he confessed faith in Jesus sometime in the past, he may be a member of that church, but according to what they teach he will go to heaven and is a member of the "church universal." As a matter of fact a number of churches teach that all Christians are part of the church universal.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/23/21 8:03 am

Post Cojak
Of course the argument is, "He was never saved in the first place."

That can also very well be true. Many people brought up in a church go thru the motions of church rituals and do not believe.

I have always 'felt for' families of the people who commit heinous crimes. Also for local churches when they are involved with the families of the offenders.

However I think this is the first time I have ever read of a church taking action 'against' the Perpetrator. I realize this is PR actions, but this is a time when turning the other cheek 'publically' (Via open forgiveness) could backfire.

Of course this may not fit a 'turn the other cheek' scripture. BUT the scripture does not say, turn the other cheek if 'asked to!'

At times I can get confused, this was a terrible act, it is easy to get VERY UPSET at some fool's actions. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/23/21 10:30 am

Post Re: Aren't they ... UncleJD
Mat wrote:
Aren't they fundamentalist's Baptist? So if he confessed faith in Jesus sometime in the past, he may be a member of that church, but according to what they teach he will go to heaven and is a member of the "church universal." As a matter of fact a number of churches teach that all Christians are part of the church universal.

Mat

Of course you know that is a severe distortion of their teaching on the subject. But yes, if he's truly saved then he will confess that sin and repent, as horrific as it is. Most likely though, he was never actually converted in the first place.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/23/21 10:40 am

Post Cojak & UncleDJ Mat
Cojak,

The Apostle Paul told the Corinthian Church to turn a member out for fornication in I Corinthians 5:5 (ESV) "...deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord."

In II Corinthians Paul speaks of receiving back a person (some think the fornicator from I Corinthians), once they repented and left behind the sin.

UncleDJ,

Last year I preached a funeral for the grandson of one of my attenders who died in his 30s as a result of drug and alcohol abuse. The young man had abandoned his wife and children, refusing to pay child support, moved to another state, when through a series of women and lived a blasphemous lifestyle (you can learn a lot by reading someone tattoos). He moved back to live with his grandfather (bring his "girlfriend" along) to sponge off of him for a while. The grandfather bought him a car in the hopes his grandson would drive him to places like his doctor appointments (well, the girlfriend, as the grandson could not drive legally). It was just a few months and the grandson was admitted to the hospital where he died.

At the funeral, a Fundamentalist Baptist Pastor, who was related to the "girlfriend" decided to preach a sermon instead of reading the obituary and praying as he had been asked. He preached that because the grandson had made a commitment years ago to Christ, none of the "problems" he went through mattered, he was saved and going to heaven. My last image of the graveside was noticing a mother with early teen children sitting alone and all of them crying. I did not know who they were, the children's names were not in the obituary (thanks to the current girlfriend's efforts) and they were not even mentioned at the funeral or the graveside. It was only when they were among the last at the graveside, huddled together and weeping, that I learned they were the family the grandson abandoned and failed to support or even contact.

If I am distorting Fundamentalist Baptist teachings, then so is one of their own. Perhaps someone should tell that "Bubba" from North GA, and the church he attends, they got it wrong, 'cause that's how he preached it. I have not been so grieved at a funeral, except when I attend Catholic funerals where the person lived a anti-Christ lifestyle only for the priest to say because they were baptized as a infant they are going to heaven.

So, no I don't believe the shoot was a Christian, I don't believe his is still going to heaven and part of the church universal. I do believe he must repent of his sins, turn away from them and accepts Christ as his Savior. Hopefully this will happen before his death at the hands of the State of GA. The blood of the victims will cry out against him at the judgement, just as that mother and her abandoned and neglected tears at the graveside cried out against the their father.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/24/21 6:45 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Amen, MAT. Unconditional eternal security is a damnable heresy that will result in millions of souls being lost, all while promising those millions they will be saved no matter what they do. At a community-wide service, I heard with my own ears a locally prominent Southern Baptist preacher say, “You can be living just like the Devil and still be saved! That’s how amazing God’s grace is!” When I was attending a Southern Baptist university back in the 80s as a backslidden Pentecostal preacher’s kid, every last one of my hardy-partying fraternity brothers would say they were saved, and would really wonder why I didn’t have assurance of my salvation while living a debauched life. If salvation is UNconditional, then they were absolutely right. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/24/21 9:18 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic