Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is the rapture a set date in God's calendar?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is the rapture a set date in God's calendar? roughridercog
Or is it flexible? Able to be moved?

Thought this would make interesting discussion.
3/12/21 7:36 pm

Post I think it is flexible... Aaron Scott
It appears that the disciples felt that Jesus would return shortly. Further, we are told that it is the longsuffering of God, not willing that any should perish, that is the reason that Jesus has not already returned (or so it seems).

The Bible speaks of God cutting things short in righteousness. I have wondered if he is waiting for a certain event or thing or percentage (so to speak), and that will be the moment things are done.

Not making a doctrine of it, but that's kind of the way I lean.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/15/21 10:33 am

Post Re: I think it is flexible... roughridercog
Aaron Scott wrote:
It appears that the disciples felt that Jesus would return shortly. Further, we are told that it is the longsuffering of God, not willing that any should perish, that is the reason that Jesus has not already returned (or so it seems).

The Bible speaks of God cutting things short in righteousness. I have wondered if he is waiting for a certain event or thing or percentage (so to speak), and that will be the moment things are done.

Not making a doctrine of it, but that's kind of the way I lean.

Of course if we know God is omniscient as we should, then He knows the day and time. Does that not set the date on His timetable? According yonGalarians 4:4 Christ was sent in the fullness of time implying Gods perfect scheduling. Would it not be also true for the rapture, second coming, millennial reign, and new heaven and new earth?
3/16/21 7:20 am

Post The rapture date is set MikeBarnes
In the fore knowledge of God, as is everything. He who knows the end from the beginning, He who is the Alpha and Omega knows the timing of the end of this age and the beginning of eternity, as He inhabits eternity.

Isa. 57: 15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
3/16/21 9:37 am

Post Double post MikeBarnes
Quote:
3/16/21 9:55 am

Post I have not found a verse that says that God knows everything that is going to happen.... Aaron Scott
He knows everything HE will do and everything HE determines to do, it seems, but does He know EVERYTHING that will take place 300 years from now?

Maybe. But open theism (the notion that God knows all there is to know, but cannot fully know the future...because there is no future "out there" to know) would ponder whether He does.

It is my take that God is weighing many things, and will, when a certain point is reached, start the Second Coming Protocol (I capitalized that because it looks cool).

However, I could be mistaken. If you have scripture that indicates that God knows EVERYTHING that will happen on some future date, I would be happy to be corrected.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/19/21 12:27 pm

Post JLarry
I don't know, I have not seen that calenday. Very Happy

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
3/22/21 7:54 am

Post The foreknowledge of God MikeBarnes
Isa. 46:10 ISV I declare from the beginning things to follow, and from ancient times things that have not yet been done; saying, "My purpose will stand, and he will accomplish everything that I please.'

Isa. 42:9
Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.

And there are many more....

Classical theism says that even though there is freedom of choice, God's omniscience necessitates God foreknowing what free choices will be made (God's foreknowledge is closed). Open theists reject this as anti thetical to free will. I hold with the classical point of view. God knows the end from the beginning and knows the choices we will make along the path of our lives and how that fits into His ultimate redemptive plan.
3/26/21 7:25 am

Post Re: The foreknowledge of God roughridercog
MikeBarnes wrote:
Isa. 46:10 ISV I declare from the beginning things to follow, and from ancient times things that have not yet been done; saying, "My purpose will stand, and he will accomplish everything that I please.'

Isa. 42:9
Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.

And there are many more....

Classical theism says that even though there is freedom of choice, God's omniscience necessitates God foreknowing what free choices will be made (God's foreknowledge is closed). Open theists reject this as anti thetical to free will. I hold with the classical point of view. God knows the end from the beginning and knows the choices we will make along the path of our lives and how that fits into His ultimate redemptive plan.

My opinion exactly
3/27/21 7:45 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
If God’s foreknowledge is exhaustively definite/closed, then I submit that numerous passages in Scripture make no sense, and that all things are absolutely predestined by God’s foreknowledge as well. If all things are certain in God’s mind from all eternity past, then all things are immutably fixed from eternity past, and absolutely predestined.

We read in Jonah 3:10 that God responded to the Ninevites’ repentance:

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

We see God expressing regret for making mankind in Genesis 6, and deciding to wipe man out from the face of the earth due to their exceeding sinfulness. How can God be sorry for that which was a certainty in His mind from all eternity?

We see God sending Isaiah back to King Hezekiah in 2 Kings 20, reversing the previous word that said he would die and not live. How is this possible if the future is 100% settled/predetermined beforehand?

As to the Isaiah passages cited, in context, they prove that God is able to say what He is going to do and bring it to pass, declaring the end He has in mind from the beginning. This is His ability of omnipotence, not foreknowledge as such.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/21 10:13 am

Post Da Sheik
One's view of the sovereignty of God will determine (pardon the play on words) his/her view on the topic. FWIW, I believe the rapture of the church is a fixed point, just like the prophecies concerning the first Advent. I don't think there was anything humans could have done to prevent the Messiah from being born at the precise time that He was. Similarly, I don't believe there is anything humanly possible that will prevent the rapture from taking place at the appointed time.

The idea that God is in Heaven unaware of who will be saved and is holding out hope that one more sinner will reach out and search for him is not a biblical concept.
Acts Enthusiast
3/31/21 2:01 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic