Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Insensitive Preaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cojak
Aaron said:

When my dad was evangelizing, he and my mother determined to dress and preach in a way that would allow them entrance to all sorts of churches. They dressed (and lived) in such a way that conservative churches were happy to have them (of course, back then most churches were conservative). Yet his preaching was not the clothesline variety, so less conservative churches would call on him too (in fact, it was what some would call a liberal pastor who helped my dad get his first church)..............

That was the attitude I was raised under.

I think that was a gem that added to success of winning souls for the Kingdom.
Cool Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/16/22 5:27 pm

Post Link
I heard a preacher, the son of a preacher whose church I used to go to, at the same church. He said he went to this place to preach and this guy kept asking him, "Have you got a word for me"? It sounded like the man was looking for someone to give him a personal prophecy.

Anyway, this preacher seemed to think that was wrong and one day got fed up and told him he had a word from the Lord for him-- read the Bible.

The way he said it was kind of nasty and inaccurate sounding. I don't know if he got my email, but I pointed out if the Spirit didn't move him to say 'Read the Bible' he shouldn't present it as a prophecy.

Also, people who go around looking for words like that can get themselves into stressful situations if they hear a false prophecy, but in the Old Testament, it wasn't forbidden to ask a prophet to inquire of the LORD on one's behalf (e.g. lost donkeys, about a battle, whether someone ill or injured will survive, etc.) The New Testament does not forbid it, either, so we should not treat it as sin.

This preacher could have said he is not a prophet, also.
Acts-perienced Poster
3/11/22 12:19 pm

Post SCFIRE
My dad Pastored Bishopville COG back in the 60's and he left the COG because they were very strong against Independents and he had some of his ministry friends come and preach for him that were Independent. That was back in the day. But Daddy was a hard rock charlie with the Holiness background and he lost a lot of good people over the years.
I began a 4 night revival at one of my best friends church (Pentecostal Holiness) and the first night 4 got saved and 2 filled with the Holy Ghost and during the message a step daughter and step dad reconciled and God was there in a mighty way. During the altar service I reached out to a lady and told her she had been wanting to speak in tongues for a long time and all she had to do was stand up and speak in tongues and she did. She had been worshipping and really involved with the spirit. I got a call from my Friend the next day and told me the Committee came to him and told him to stop the revival because the woman that spoke in tongues had sin in her life. He was crying like a baby because of what they did. That's the type of thing that has me non-denominational today.
3/11/22 4:43 pm

Post Da Sheik... Aaron Scott
Many years ago, my aunt was dating the good man who would become her husband. He was a Baptist, but he happily attended church with her at a church in Cleveland, TN. In fact, from what I gather, he somewhat enjoyed it.

In any case, I don't know if a new pastor came aboard or the current one did it, but they pretty much went to work on how bad the Baptists were, apparently. Of course, back in those days, the COG often drew the fire of non-Pentecostals, so that might have been the issue. But as it was, it pretty much drove him away.

And while he and my aunt married and had a long, happy marriage, there was pretty much no chance from then onward of him becoming a Pentecostal. He loved the Lord and the move of God, but that had done him damage.

I sometimes have wondered if some preachers didn't "figure out" what to preach by looking out over the audience and seeing something they didn't like!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/10/22 5:50 pm

Post Re: Da Sheik... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
I sometimes have wondered if some preachers didn't "figure out" what to preach by looking out over the audience and seeing something they didn't like!

Aaron I have seen exactly that. Even as PK I over heard my dad tell a young Evangelist, "Son, it that is all the sermons types you have, I will finish the revival, your pay will be the same. There were two new ladies in the congregation I have never seen before, they were the only ones there with lipstick on. Your whole sermon was based on that such as paint on an old barn etc, We will probably never see them again. Your task is to get them to the alter, my job is to teach." I was proud of my dad for that. Wink Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/10/22 7:57 pm

Post Re: Insensitive Preaching Link
Da Sheik wrote:
(disclaimer: I'm am not saying we should change the Gospel in any way so as to make it less offensive to sinners- I am only talking about extra-biblical comments from the pulpit)

I can remember sitting in church services as a young boy in the South. I am the product of an interracial marriage. At the time, it was much less socially acceptable. I vividly remember hearing the preacher use texts from the Old Testament about "marrying from within your own tribe" as evidence that "blacks and whites shouldn't marry". My dad who was not a Christian at the time, left Church altogether for many years. Only as an older man did he come to faith in Christ and return to attending church.

I harbor no ill will towards that minister, because I know his remarks were in ignorance. But I wonder if any of you have similar but different experiences. I have heard preaching that makes me cringe; comments about people's weight/body types, comments about people with disabilities and handicaps, etc.

Ministering the word of God is a holy thing, and those who do so need to do so with great care.

What was the 'marry within your own tribe' verse they were talking about? Women who inherited property when there was no son had to marry within their fathers' clan to inherit the land. That kept the land in the tribe. Priests could marry other Israelites outside of the priestly families if they were marrying virgins, but they could only marry other priest's widows. I'd imagine if a pregnant woman remarried, that would keep non-priestly descendants from being mistaken as priests.

I know of no laws against Gentiles marrying people of other people-groups. There might be some value to their being distinct 'nations', but still no law against interracial marriage. I'm in one, and even white Americans are usually a mix of what were once distinct nations. A lot of English were mixed between Anglo-Saxon and Celtic people groups before settling the US. Some Americans think very narrowly according to historical American race distinctions-- black, white, etc.
Acts-perienced Poster
5/15/22 3:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic