Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Has God Ever Spoken to You or Your Congregation Through Tongues?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Has God Ever Spoken to You or Your Congregation Through Tongues? Quiet Wyatt
With interpretation?

(Not wanting to hijack the other thread, but I'd really like to know what your experience has been).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/7/16 6:52 pm

Post jeremiah2911_4me
No disrespect intended at all.....but my question on a Pentecostal based board like this would be HAS GOD EVER NOT SPOKEN IN TONGUES AND INTERPRETATION IN YOUR CHURCH??

Please don't hang me....I'm being serious

Absolutely no disrespect intended at all!!!
Acts-celerater
1/7/16 8:28 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
I was thinking the same thing.
No disrespect either but we are a Pentecostal Church and the gifts of the Spirit are for us and SHOULD be in operation in the church as well as the other gifts.

jeremiah2911_4me wrote:
No disrespect intended at all.....but my question on a Pentecostal based board like this would be HAS GOD EVER NOT SPOKEN IN TONGUES AND INTERPRETATION IN YOUR CHURCH??

Please don't hang me....I'm being serious

Absolutely no disrespect intended at all!!!
Friendly Face
1/7/16 8:44 pm

Post My thoughts exactly brotherjames
But can't take it for granted which is why we're doing the survey. Acts-celerater
1/7/16 8:50 pm

Post Re: Has God Ever Spoken to You or Your Congregation Through Tongues? Old Time Country Preacher
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
With interpretation?

(Not wanting to hijack the other thread, but I'd really like to know what your experience has been).

Yes, God has, Wyatt. Both to me and my congregation.
Acts-pert Poster
1/7/16 8:51 pm

Post Re: Has God Ever Spoken to You or Your Congregation Through Tongues? jeremiah2911_4me
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
With interpretation?

OTCP,

IN your experience has it always been an uplifting and encouraging Word??? Or have there been times where God warned specifically of something to come to pass etc....
Acts-celerater
1/7/16 8:53 pm

Post Re: Has God Ever Spoken to You or Your Congregation Through Tongues? Old Time Country Preacher
jeremiah2911_4me wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
With interpretation?

OTCP,

IN your experience has it always been an uplifting and encouraging Word??? Or have there been times where God warned specifically of something to come to pass etc....

In my experience, the majority of times it has been encouragement, hope, persevere, etc. However, I have heard tongues/interpretations--that I believe were legitimately from God--that were more of a cautionary nature, admonishing the hearer to be faithful, etc.
Acts-pert Poster
1/7/16 9:00 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
One reason I ask is because according to the interpretation of 1 Cor 14 by some, tongues must always by addressed to God, and therefore they would have to answer a big fat NO to this question. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/7/16 9:08 pm

Post bonnie knox
I knew where you were going with this, but I think some of the posters misunderstood the question to be "Is there ever a manifestation of an unknown language in your church?"

The question might be more rightly asked, what is happening when someone speaks in the assembly in the Spirit manifestation of a language unknown to the speaker?

I'll be frank. I've heard lots of interpretations which I believe were sincere and honest heartfelt hopes of the person "interpreting." Maybe it was divine, maybe not.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/7/16 9:36 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Bonnie,

I have never believed nor taught that all messages in tongues, interpretations, or prophecies were infallible and somehow above criticism.

That said, if the view advanced by my good friend Tom is true, I must say that it seems to then necessarily follow that anyone who claims God ever spoke to them through a message in tongues with interpretation is at best gravely deceived and mistaken, certainly out of step with the Spirit of truth, Who never would or could mislead any sincere believer on this or any other issue.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/16 12:20 am

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
I knew where you were going with this, but I think some of the posters misunderstood the question to be "Is there ever a manifestation of an unknown language in your church?"

The question might be more rightly asked, what is happening when someone speaks in the assembly in the Spirit manifestation of a language unknown to the speaker?

I'll be frank. I've heard lots of interpretations which I believe were sincere and honest heartfelt hopes of the person "interpreting." Maybe it was divine, maybe not.

In my observations over the years, I do agree with this. Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/8/16 12:34 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I completely agree that all purportedly inspired utterances must be judged.

I will also say that I have never been much in favor of messages in tongues or prophecies interrupting a sermon or a song. I know it happened to Peter in Acts 10, but generally speaking, I would tend to see interrupting a sermon as likely simply a rather immature, selfish, attention-seeking outburst.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/16 1:18 am

Post If something is true... bonnie knox
How do we determine a "view" is true? Does it line up with scripture? Could what we have been taught be wrong? Could experiences be misinterpreted? Could something be extra-Biblical without being "wrong"? (for example, being "slain" in the spirit)
Given that all believers have the Spirit of truth, we all still do make a lot of errors.

Quote:

That said, if the view advanced by my good friend Tom is true, I must say that it seems to then necessarily follow that anyone who claims God ever spoke to them through a message in tongues with interpretation is at best gravely deceived and mistaken, certainly out of step with the Spirit of truth, Who never would or could mislead any sincere believer on this or any other issue.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/16 8:08 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
We are not only willing to judge the Word of God when it is preached, it has almost become a sport. And yet we won't judge extra-biblical prophecies or utterances.

My humble opinion is that this (for Pentecostals, anyway) is rooted in the fear of blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.
Of course, I've noticed that people from a Baptist background usually don't have any trouble calling something chaos.
Roman Catholics think (as I understand) that the pope, and I suppose priests as well, speak directly the word of God. Protestants generally tend to see men who speak the word as fallible men. When a word is given, purportedly as an utterance of the Holy Spirit, however, that is seen by Pentecostals as DIRECTLY from God, and they are more reluctant to say anything against it.
I'm not saying that is the right way to view it, I'm saying that is my observation of how it people perceive it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/16 8:14 am

Post I posted a reply brotherjames
to Tom in the other thread. but for the clarification of this thread I post a similar response. I believe Tom is severely mis-interpreting what tongues are. Tongues are a supernatural manifestation of the Holy Spirit given to/thru men to speak God's Word TO men. In other words, Given BY GOD TO MEN no the other way around. How is it supernatural if WE are doing it from our own minds TO GOD? I am confused. On the Day of Pentecost what happened? God came down, inhabited men/women and the manifestation of that was that they spoke unknown languages (unknown to them) and glorified God. Other people heard/witnessed this display and this sign caused them to listen to Peter's sermon of explanation/evangelism and get 3000 saved. Why? Because GOD spoke thru men supernaturally TO other men. When we speak in tongues it is NOT us speaking, it is the Holy Spirit speaking thru us to edify, comfort and encourage those who are hearing. The Gift of Tongues accompanied by the Gift of Interpretation of those tongues is the equivalent of the Gift of Prophecy and more because it shows a supernatural sign.

In my church a number of years ago my assoc. pastor gave a message in tongues, another man interpreted it. Later a woman came up to my assoc. and asked where he had learned to speak such classical Greek. Of course he did not know how to speak Greek in any form. She also indicated that the man who interpreted gave a very good rendering of what was spoken. So, did my assoc. speak FROM MAN TO GOD? NO, he spoke, inspired BY GOD TO MEN (a Greek woman). This allowed us to minister to a Greek Orthodox woman as she witnessed a supernatural sign that God was with us. She left the Orthodox church and began to worship with us.
Acts-celerater
1/8/16 11:31 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic