Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Advice for Man Dating Woman Who Won't Take His Last Name?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Advice for Man Dating Woman Who Won't Take His Last Name? Link
Let's say you knew a young man dating a young woman, a generic American WASP, not a foreigner with an unfamiliar culture, who said if she got married, she would refuse to take her husband's last name?

Based on that, what kind of advice do you think you'd be likely to give him?
12/23/15 10:39 pm

Post Cojak
I would say if there is love, don't worry about a name. Marry your sweetheart! (As long as they ain't from the NC mountains, Smile Cause That might be a problem with the mountain folk and family, when they came home.

AS a matter of fact it saves a lot of trouble in driver's license and Passport changes. Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/23/15 11:50 pm

Post Link
I know I asked it, but I'll give my own opinion. If she were a foreigner, lots of countries don't have the same naming customs. But if she's an American, I'd be checking to make sure she isn't some kind of radical feminist. If she's got this idea that the big evil patriarchy is trying to suppress women by taking their last names away, who wants that? And if you hyphenate your last name, and your kids married people with hyphenated last names, your grandkids could end up with a name like Smith-Johns-Philip-Cortez. That's pretty crazy. With all the girls who are not into radical feminism out there, I don't know why a guy would want to marry a feminist who was radical enough not to want his name.

My other concern would be that if she doesn't want to take his last name, she might not think marriage will last. Why change your name if you are going to change it back in a couple of years anyway? Having the same family name communicates "We are family."

Taking his name signifies commitment and taking on the identity of his wife, joining his clan, being his helpmeet, and lots of other good stuff like that. It's a cultural thing, more than a Biblical one. But not wanting to take his name could show some problems with accepting some Biblical principles about marriage.

As a man, it felt good to me to know that my wife wanted to take my last name. It's better if your wife feels honored that you would want to give you her name. In my wife's country or her culture at least, the wife doesn't usually legally change her name, though in some context she is called by her husband's last name. (It's complicated. You call them by their first child's name after they have kids, and almost never say their name again in her tribe. My wife has an Uncle Addeline. I gave my first son mine and my daddy's name which worked out well for us.) But my wife wanted my name. We did take a while to get all the paperwork switched over because in the US because we lived overseas for so long and because of costs.
12/24/15 12:17 am

Post Re: Advice for Man Dating Woman Who Won't Take His Last Name? Eddie Robbins
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Link wrote:
Let's say you knew a young man dating a young woman, a generic American WASP, not a foreigner with an unfamiliar culture, who said if she got married, she would refuse to take her husband's last name?

What does the Bible have to say about it?

You always have to mess stuff up, Bro Peeples.
Acts-pert Poster
12/24/15 7:31 am

Post (L) bonnie knox
Quote:
It's better if your wife feels honored that you would want to give you her name.

Not everyone sees it that way. I just recently read an article about a guy who took his wife's last name. It's definitely a bold, counter-cultural move. See what you think.
http://www.cbeinternational.org/resources/article/how-i-submit-my-wife

For a different perspective, here's the story (quick, easy read) of a guy who took his wife's name for non-religious reasons. Link, you might actually like this story because it shows how the system is biased against men who want to change their names. It might fit your narrative of how men are actually the ones who are oppressed.
http://www.businessinsider.com/i-took-my-wifes-last-name-and-was-shocked-by-how-different-the-process-is-for-men-2015-12
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/24/15 8:53 am

Post bonnie knox
Cojak wrote:
I would say if there is love, don't worry about a name. Marry your sweetheart!

Awwwww. Cool
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/24/15 8:59 am

Post bonnie knox
As for advice, I'd say, "Son, yer gittin yaself into a mess a trouble if ya marry on a them wimmin libbers. They thank they ort ta git equal pay fer equal work, they vote an drive em motor cars an ware britches like they tha menfolk. Ya marry one a them gals an ya might find yaself doin housework instead of watchin tha ballgame. She's liable ta expect ya ta clean ya own fish. Git ya one a them homeschoolin girls what knows her place as helpmeet. One what knows you tha boss. At's tha only way to keep her in her place." [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/24/15 9:05 am

Post JLarry
Some years after my Dad died, Mother married a good man. She took on his last name. Since she carried Dad's last name for almost 50 years, IMO, that was a mistake.

They lived in a rural community in the house Mom and Dad lived in. Everyone knew Mom as Mrs. (Dad's last name). It was a little confusing.

Mother later realized the mistake but choose not to change it, which I think was wise not to unscramble an egg.

I would advise my wife in the event of my death, if she remarried not to change her name. She declares she would never remarry. I am only concerned about her happiness. If she would be happy, single ok if not ok.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/24/15 9:24 am

Post My advice.... spartanfan
if she won't take your last name then don't marry her. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/24/15 9:41 am

Post Cojak
JLarry wrote:
Some years after my Dad died, Mother married a good man. She took on his last name. Since she carried Dad's last name for almost 50 years, IMO, that was a mistake.

They lived in a rural community in the house Mom and Dad lived in. Everyone knew Mom as Mrs. (Dad's last name). It was a little confusing.

Mother later realized the mistake but choose not to change it, which I think was wise not to unscramble an egg.

I would advise my wife in the event of my death, if she remarried not to change her name. She declares she would never remarry. I am only concerned about her happiness. If she would be happy, single ok if not ok.

Thumb Up I started to say a lot but I will say only, 'I agree with your assessment here my friend!
12/24/15 10:08 am

Post Re: My advice.... c6thplayer1
spartanfan wrote:
if she won't take your last name then don't marry her.

That would be my first suggestion. My Second would be

If she wont take your last name then my demand would be a prenup removing her from receiving any portion of my current and future assets during and after marriage. She would also be charged for her living expenses.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/24/15 10:55 am

Post Hey c6 JLarry
Quote:
She would also be charged for her living expenses.

What if she made and was worth more than you. Smile

Acts Mod
12/24/15 11:19 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I know a guy who combined both last names as their last name. Had I done that, I would be Eddie Conn-Robbins. And all my friends would have made fun of me. Acts-pert Poster
12/24/15 11:26 am

Post Re: Advice for Man Dating Woman Who Won't Take His Last Name? Eddie Robbins
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Link wrote:

Even though only you and I will get that joke...
Priceless!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Bahahahaha!
Acts-pert Poster
12/24/15 11:29 am

Post Eddie JLarry
Quote:
I know a guy who combined both last names as their last name. Had I done that, I would be Eddie Conn-Robbins. And all my friends would have made fun of me.

Eddie I'm sure you would would have a good come back. Smile

You are Eddie the witted one.

Acts Mod
12/24/15 11:30 am

Post Re: My advice.... Cojak
Tom Sterbens wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
spartanfan wrote:

If she wont take your last name then my demand would be a prenup removing her from receiving any portion of my current and future assets during and after marriage. She would also be charged for her living expenses.

Biblical basis???

There is no Scripture basis that I know of, but TRADITION and the 'English' way of using the man's name. In Bible times we all know that the 'last name' was actually the occupation, So I guess if we could find the marriage license Jesus would have been born to Mr. & Mrs Joe Carpenter. Shocked (Mary had to learn how to make and drive nails.)

This becoming 'ONE Flesh' gets tough! Shocked I like the idea of both last names joined, the last, last name being the man's of course. Wink
12/24/15 12:08 pm

Post Re: Hey c6 c6thplayer1
JLarry wrote:
Quote:
She would also be charged for her living expenses.

What if she made and was worth more than you. Smile

After her expenses were paid she would not have more than me. Cool
12/24/15 12:27 pm

Post Re: My advice.... c6thplayer1
Tom Sterbens wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
spartanfan wrote:

Biblical basis???

the Scripture can be found in chapter 1 , verse 1.

1. The only way you can bring an egotistical person back to reality is to feed them from the same bowl that was served to you.
12/24/15 12:31 pm

Post UncleJD
It is partially cultural, but I believe it to be based on the Biblical principle of "one flesh". I remember my mother going by "Mrs. <husband's name> <husband's last name>" Who does that anymore?

Obviously there were no last names in Biblical times, but the wife was known as "Mary the wife of Joseph" if she was married rather than "Mary the daughter of whoever"
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/24/15 12:59 pm

Post Re: Advice for Man Dating Woman Who Won't Take His Last Name? philunderwood
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Link wrote:

Even though only you and I will get that joke...
Priceless!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Eddie's not alone, even though I am a shell of my former image here, I got it.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/24/15 1:00 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic