Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Former COG Preacher Called Cult Leader in Christianity Today Article(L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Former COG Preacher Called Cult Leader in Christianity Today Article(L) Old Time Country Preacher
Wayne Jolley, Franklin, TN.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/december-web-only/wayne-jolley-gathering-international-ed-cash.html?paging=off
Acts-pert Poster
12/18/15 11:16 pm

Post mytimewillcome
You're in a Jezebel rebellion by bringing this negative attention to King Jolley Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/19/15 4:41 am

Post bonnie knox
That's disgusting and sickening. The pattern is so similar to many other stories of spiritual and sexual abuse. The element of authority/submission/rebellion is ALWAYS there.
Jesus said, "Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant."
(Matthew 23:10-11)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/15 9:09 am

Post Tom... Aaron Scott
Quote:
I'm curious how patriarchal complementarians would view the woman leaving her husband due to the husband choosing the commitment to the ministry above his commitment to his wife.

John Wesley chose his commitment to the ministry above his commitment to his wife.

(Matthew 19:29 KJV) And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

(Mark 10:29 KJV) And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

(Mark 10:30 KJV) But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

(Luke 14:20 KJV) And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

(Luke 14:26 KJV) If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

(Luke 17:32 KJV) Remember Lot's wife. [I am using this one because it would seem to hint that had Lot not continued in doing what God had commanded, he, too, would have been destroyed.]

Consider that some, like Peter, would have sought to dissuade Jesus from the cross. Yet He would not be dissuaded.

Does God give us a "pass" if we explain, "Jesus, I was going to come to the supper, but I married a wife..."?

How do YOU feel about it? If you KNEW you were in the will of God, but your wife wanted you to leave it, how would YOU feel about it?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/19/15 11:19 am

Post bonnie knox
Aaron, in the case in the OP, it was not a matter of choosing Christ over a spouse; it was that the wife refused to return to a gathering where the "minister" falsely accused her of having a demon and purposefully drove a wedge between husband and wife to the point that he predicted the husband would choose the MAN (the person setting himself up as a minister)--not Jesus--over his wife. The husband left the wife. That was after 30 years of marriage!!! Fortunately, a true minister of the gospel stepped in and helped husband and wife reconcile.

And John Wesley was a strange bird. He wouldn't marry the woman he was first attracted to because he WAS attracted to her. How weird is that! Apparently he conflated sexual desire and sinful lust. So his marriage to the woman he did get married to started off on the wrong foot, in my opinion.
But there is a big difference between put Christ above all others and putting one's "ministry" above one's spouse.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/15 11:35 am

Post bonnie knox
Ole Timer, I couldn't help but see at preacher feller what done got so far off was dealin in unaccredited degrees an all. Man it ain't no tellin where all at mess will lead when ya start sayin ya got a doctorate an it ain't real. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/15 11:37 am

Post Re: Tom... diakoneo
Aaron Scott wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious how patriarchal complementarians would view the woman leaving her husband due to the husband choosing the commitment to the ministry above his commitment to his wife.

John Wesley chose his commitment to the ministry above his commitment to his wife.

(Matthew 19:29 KJV) And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

(Mark 10:29 KJV) And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

(Mark 10:30 KJV) But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

(Luke 14:20 KJV) And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

(Luke 14:26 KJV) If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

(Luke 17:32 KJV) Remember Lot's wife. [I am using this one because it would seem to hint that had Lot not continued in doing what God had commanded, he, too, would have been destroyed.]

Consider that some, like Peter, would have sought to dissuade Jesus from the cross. Yet He would not be dissuaded.

Does God give us a "pass" if we explain, "Jesus, I was going to come to the supper, but I married a wife..."?

How do YOU feel about it? If you KNEW you were in the will of God, but your wife wanted you to leave it, how would YOU feel about it?

Many people don't feel pastoral work is a calling. If that is the case, then it is a desire coming from the individual. If it is a desire coming from the individual and not Christ, then it should be checked with the spouse since they are "one flesh".

If the person is called, he would certainly be going against Christ in refusing to obey Christ and would not be worthy to be called a disciple.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/19/15 11:44 am

Post Bonnie... Aaron Scott
I hear you, sis, and I agree.

I am confused, however, as to why Tom Sterbens might think that men who actually abide by God's plan for the home (I think he called it "patriarchal complementarianism--or something like that) would view this matter any differently from anyone else?

That being the case, and not thinking that Tom would ask such an obvious question--since "obvious" and "easy to be understood" are anathema, it seems, to him (SMILE)--I concluded (perhaps wrongfully?) that what he was really asking was what we thought about men who would allow a marriage to disintegrate so they could follow Jesus.

I imagine that in the majority of cases, many men have allowed this to happen not because of a TRUE CALLING from God, but from a perceived one. Which is a tragedy, since it means that a man who was TRYING to follow God, instead missed Him, and lost his family in the process.

I'm not sure that BEING WILLING to lose one's wife is not actually the point of it all. Abraham was WILLING to sacrifice Isaac...but God did not take it that far. He simply wanted to know if Abraham was willing.

It might be that there is some seed of truth there.

I also hear you in what you had to say about Wesley. It is for sure that his marriage was not one made in heaven (or if so, it was spoiled by the both of them).
12/19/15 12:29 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
that men who actually abide by God's plan for the home

Are you trying to bait someone?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/15 1:20 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
Ole Timer, I couldn't help but see at preacher feller what done got so far off was dealin in unaccredited degrees an all. Man it ain't no tellin where all at mess will lead when ya start sayin ya got a doctorate an it ain't real.

Now I was not gonna bring at up, but I was wonderin when somebody would notice at. His brother Donald "gave" him a doctorate from the school he "run." Then Wayne up an starts him a school. I told yall, see how easy it is when its a religious school. An he has got a high school program too, which, when a young person "graduated" from it, an tried to use it, said, cordin to the article, it was a "worthless piece of paper." Folk git mad an defensive when the ole timer brings the issue up. Well, here is a case, ex-COG feller, where it happened.

Thank ya Miss Bonnie fer them research skills a yorn.
Acts-pert Poster
12/19/15 2:03 pm

Post Bonnie...ME? Aaron Scott
Maybe. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/19/15 3:24 pm

Post OTCP... Aaron Scott
Do you reckon any preachers with accredited degrees have ever went off the deep end--or does accreditation word to ward that off, too?

Your reasoning is faulty. Apparently, it means something about accreditation if someone with a non-accredited degree falls...but means absolutely nothing about accreditation if someone WITH an accredited degree falls.

Didn't they teach logic at the accredited school you went to?
12/19/15 3:31 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Just one look at the guy told me there is no way I would think he was capable of being a legitimate leader. There is no discipline in his life. Mike and Debbie Pugh are my Facebook friends but I do now t know them personally. I'm glad they broke away from this idiot before it was too late. Acts-pert Poster
12/19/15 5:17 pm

Post Re: OTCP... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Do you reckon any preachers with accredited degrees have ever went off the deep end--or does accreditation word to ward that off, too?

Your reasoning is faulty. Apparently, it means something about accreditation if someone with a non-accredited degree falls...but means absolutely nothing about accreditation if someone WITH an accredited degree falls.

Didn't they teach logic at the accredited school you went to?

The ole timer didn't write the article or bring the issue of slipshod schools up. But they is apparently some folk done been took cause they ended up with a worthless piece a paper. An the senior news editor a CT didn't seem to lean to kindly toward em unaccredited things.
Acts-pert Poster
12/19/15 6:02 pm

Post Wayne Jolly was COGOP John Hughes
and I'm not sure about him being involved with the COG. He held a lot of meetings in the COG. I had him several times for meetings and he appeared to be genuine but he did change and I confronted him of the sexual abuse rumors and his multiple marriages. He soon stopped calling and actually used the touch not God's anointed phrase a lot. I realize that even gifted men can fall into self delusion and it is always sad and destroys lives. Wayne needs prayer for he and Linda. Both are deluded.
12/19/15 7:50 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic