Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Lake of Fire

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Lake of Fire Ernie Long
Revelation 20:10-15 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (KJV)

Will those that are cast into the lake of fire die or will they be tormented day and night for ever and ever as well?

I was under the impression that once sinners were cast in to the lake of fire they would no longer exist.
Acts Enthusiast
12/14/15 11:32 am

Post Eddie Robbins
It is the second death. When you're dead, you're gone. God does not keep your soul alive for the sole purpose of torture. Acts-pert Poster
12/14/15 11:36 am

Post UncleJD
Hmm, I'd always thought this was a COG Cleveland centric board. I see its the Armstrong one. oops Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/14/15 12:20 pm

Post Impressions famousflavius
"I was under the impression that once sinners were cast in to the lake of fire they would no longer exist."

What gave you that impression?
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
12/14/15 12:58 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
UncleJD wrote:
Hmm, I'd always thought this was a COG Cleveland centric board. I see its the Armstrong one. oops

I guess every thought has to get a label. No room for personal beliefs?
Acts-pert Poster
12/14/15 1:05 pm

Post Glad I don't have to worry about it. famousflavius
I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about it. I know where I will be spending eternity. I think that however long the lost soul has to spend in the lake of fire and separated from God will be long enough. I wouldn't want to spent one second like that. How long do you suggest that they burn? Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
12/14/15 1:13 pm

Post The "Second Death" means something.... Aaron Scott
If you are alive and burning...then you're not dead. If that is the "Second Death," it is a sort of false advertising, isn't it?

I mean, if a person is going to live forever and ever and be tortured endlessly, then that is eternal life in its more horrendous form.

Maybe we should take seriously that it is called the Second DEATH.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/14/15 1:50 pm

Post UncleJD
Eddie Robbins wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Hmm, I'd always thought this was a COG Cleveland centric board. I see its the Armstrong one. oops

I guess every thought has to get a label. No room for personal beliefs?

Of course. I was just surprised at 2 back to back posts on annihilation. I was just using the WWCOG as a joke. I don't agree with your position, but it's not a life or death doctrine, I believe man was created as an eternal being and that God doesn't decide to keep him alive forever to punish him, he simply already is an eternal soul after his birth.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/14/15 1:51 pm

Post UncleJD
ok, Aaron, make that 3 of them. Wow, sure this isn't WWCOG ?? Laughing Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/14/15 1:52 pm

Post I told my church Ernie Long
that people who are cast in the lake of fire will no longer exist and some of them looked at me like I was wrong. I have several who used to be catholic and baptist.

Do those denominations believe different?
Acts Enthusiast
12/14/15 1:56 pm

Post Re: I told my church UncleJD
Ernie Long wrote:
that people who are cast in the lake of fire will no longer exist and some of them looked at me like I was wrong. I have several who used to be catholic and baptist.

Do those denominations believe different?

They do not believe in annihilation. In fact most groups that do are considered to be cultic. It is not orthodox. And it is not backed up by scripture. You have to use arguments like those given above to defend the position. Again, I won't say its a heaven or (not) hell issue, but it is not an orthodox position.

Speaking of Orthodox, I find the Orthodox teaching on Hell fascinating. To them, neither paradise or hell are created. They are both manifestations of the eternal state of the presence of Christ. What is paradise for the believer is hell for the unbeliever. I don't know about that either, but it is interesting.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/14/15 2:02 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Matt 10:28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

This is an interesting scripture for a couple of reasons. Why would one who is in torment forever and ever fear having their soul destroyed? Wouldn't it be welcome at that point? And, it shows that the soul can/will be destroyed in hell. BTW, among those of us who are conditionalists, there are differing beliefs. There are some who believe that when you die the first time, you're annihilated. I believe in a place called hell where people are punished. I just believe when it is tossed into the lake of fire, it is destroyed at that point.

I have studied this extensively and realize that I am basically alone among my friends, but I am 100% sold on it and like you, it is not a game changer on fellowship. Truth is truth and I would imagine we are all wrong in several areas of our beliefs.
Acts-pert Poster
12/14/15 3:14 pm

Post Re: Lake of Fire Old Time Country Preacher
Ernie Long wrote:
Will those that are cast into the lake of fire die or will they be tormented day and night for ever and ever as well?

An the smoke a their torment went up for God day/night forever an forever.
Acts-pert Poster
12/14/15 3:48 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
The fire that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah was also an eternal fire. I don't think it is still burning. The challenge in the Bible is figuring out what is literal.

When you look at a reference to day and night that is supposed to be in an age in which time is no more, there is another challenge. It is not literal, IMHO.
Acts-pert Poster
12/14/15 4:17 pm

Post What does "annihilation" mean? Aaron Scott
If you die of old age and buried, are you annihilated?

If you were blown into atoms by a nuclear blast and killed, are you annihilated?

Very simply, DYING is not annihilation in certain senses. So the Second Death may not be considered annihilation, if the point needs to be debated (though I acknowledge that that is almost certainly what our church's founders meant!).

I, personally, have come to believe, as did some of the earliest Church Fathers, that God is not so unbearably cruel as to torture people FOREVER. Consider that this is not a case of being locked in jail for a thousand years. This is a case of ACTIVE BURNING, of REAL-TIME TORTURE...and it last not a month, not year, not a century, not even a million years...it lasts for a billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion...years.

Do we think that the Muslim version of Allah is evil? Oh, my goodness, he doesn't compare with OUR GOD! Our God will burn you alive for a trillion centuries!

I'm not saying that's not the case. But it sure is hard for me to believe that our God would do the most merciless thing in the universe...when His Son, as He was dying, asked that those around Him be forgiven for they knew not what they did.

I am convinced that almost no one would NOT get saved if they KNEW what they did.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/14/15 6:40 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The Church of God Doctrinal Commitments affirm belief in:

Eternal punishment for the wicked. No liberation nor annihilation. Matthew 25:41-46; Mark 3:29; 2 Thessalonians 1: 8, 9; Revelation 20:10-15; 21:8

http://www.churchofgod.org/beliefs/doctrinal-commitments
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/14/15 8:27 pm

Post Stirring the pot (Had to use the Greek as a result of a recent discussionon it.lol) Bullseye77
Robertson's Word Pictures on 2 Thes. 1: 9
Shall suffer punishment (dikên tisousin). Future active of old verb tinô, to pay penalty (dikên, right, justice), here only in N.T., but apotinô once also to repay Phm 1:19. In the papyri dikê is used for a case or process in law. This is the regular phrase in classic writers for paying the penalty. Eternal destruction (olethron aiônion). Accusative case in apposition with dikên (penalty). This phrase does not appear elsewhere in the N.T., but is in IV Macc. 10:15 ton aiônion tou turannou olethron the eternal destruction of the tyrant (Antiochus Epiphanes). Destruction (cf. 1Th 5:3) does not mean here annihilation, but, as Paul proceeds to show, separation from the face of the Lord (apo prosôpou tou kuriou) and from the glory of his might (kai apo tês doxês tês ischuos autou), an eternity of woe such as befell Antiochus Epiphanes. Aiônios in itself only means age-long and papyri and inscriptions give it in the weakened sense of a Caesar's life (Milligan), but Paul means by age-long the coming age in contrast with this age, as eternal as the New Testament knows how to make it. See on "Mt 25:46" for use of aiônios both with zôên, life, and kolasin, punishment.
12/14/15 8:38 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic