Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

NT Wright on Heaven and Rapture (L)(V)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post NT Wright on Heaven and Rapture (L)(V) Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ln9Jq5Y-E

What do you think of this video? Is it accurate about the beliefs of pre-trib. The commentators make it sound like rapture believers think the earth is going to be destroyed while they are all up in heaven. I was taught pre-trib rapture, but I wasn't taught that. I don't think I've been to a church where pre-trib rapture was taught that didn't believe in a milinneal kingdom on earth.

Maybe these Brits don't know what American Christians believe.
12/11/15 9:40 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
While I personally don't believe in the pretrib theory, it seems to me that Wright is exaggerating in order to make the pretrib view out to seem totally absurd. He does this sometimes when he critiques especially American evangelicalism. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/11/15 9:45 pm

Post Half a million famousflavius
It is probably a half a million dollar idea, but not a million dollar idea. It has just enough intrigue to catch your attention, but not enough sensationalism to really sell. It's not bad, just not good enough. Maybe he will have better luck on his next book, that is unless the rapture happens before he can get it finished. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
12/12/15 9:29 am

Post N.T. Wright Mark Ledbetter
is an Anglican/Augustine theologian and holds an Amillennial view.

He is accurate, however, when he states many views towards heaven are faulty. If we examine popular views, viz., streets of gold, etc.,, that really describes the New Jerusalem in the New/Eternal World Order described in Revelations 21:1-22:5

To fit Peter's eschatological view in, there must be a fiery destruction, something I view as a cleansing of the old earth and heaven and gives way to a new (and improved) Heaven and Earth.

I've discussed my views on the timing of the Rapture in previous posts.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
12/12/15 11:51 am

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
While I personally don't believe in the pretrib theory, it seems to me that Wright is exaggerating in order to make the pretrib view out to seem totally absurd. He does this sometimes when he critiques especially American evangelicalism.

It was more the ABC narrator I was thinking of. I've encountered the idea that the resurrection happens to the spirits of dead people in heaven. That sounds kind of heretical to me since resurrection of the body is taught in scripture and even makes into an early creed. But I heard Chuck Smith used to teach that, and I think I've met one other person who believed that.

But it seems like as far as I can tell, pre-tribbers believe in a literal millineum and the resurrection of the body. Isn't that the general consensus?

I thought this idea of eternal disembodied bliss in heaven with no bodily resurrection was coming from somewhere on the amil side of things, and the pop religion from the culture. Maybe the amillers assume it comes from us. It's right up there with thinking that dead people are angels.

It could be that the idea is promoted by preachers who don't read their Bibles from whatever theological background, who just draw from popular cultural beliefs without realizing it.
12/13/15 8:18 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I've never heard of any pretribber who wasn't also premillenialist. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/13/15 10:39 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
N T Wright again?

He always has just enough truth to persuade - but his assumptions and conclusions are faulty - but he derides any that don't believe as he does.

Not interested.
12/14/15 7:10 am

Post Link
To be fair, it was the announcer who misrepresented pre-trib views in this clip.
12/15/15 2:10 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic