Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

One of my mistakes as a Pastor

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post One of my mistakes as a Pastor wayne
Alright Pastors: How many of you have fallen prey to this mistake? New people come in and you show them a ton of attention in hopes of winning them to your congregation. You love on them, talk with them, listen to their problems and check on them regularly. Sounds good right? Okay here is the problem – your established people feel left out and unwanted. They are not getting enough of your time and attention. I must admit I have fallen prey to this and am looking for ways to correct it. Pastor Wayne Guilliams Acts Enthusiast
12/11/15 3:45 pm

Post Wayne JLarry
May a way to correct this would be to teach your regular folks to do what you are doing.

Take extra time with the new folks to make them feel a part of the church.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/11/15 3:49 pm

Post Da Sheik
You have wisdom. The church will never grow in a healthy way unless you love and pastor the people you already have ! Sounds like you're on the right track ! Acts Enthusiast
12/11/15 10:45 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I've only made 3 mistakes during my entire pastoral ministry. But I only got ma letter of appointment yesterday, an my first Sunday is December 27. Wink Acts-pert Poster
12/12/15 11:15 am

Post revuriah
Well, I'm no longer a senior pastor, but having done that for 4 years, I understand your predicament.

First, don't stop doing what you are. Go out of your way to welcome newcomers. But as JLarry wisely said, teach your regulars not just to do the same, but why they need to do the same.

It's not easy to shift the attitudes of people. It will also take you living on your knees, asking God to work on the hearts of those who may not understand why we do what we do. He's the only One who can do that.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/12/15 5:08 pm

Post feedback wayne
Thank you for the feedback. I find myself noticing my mistakes more and more - not that I am focusing on them but I sure do see them easier now. I remember all the classes that I have taken but sometimes the classes and learning don't translate well into real life. Acts Enthusiast
12/14/15 8:31 am

Post Link
One thing to consider is whether your church is an environment where a lot of people feel dependent on getting attention from one leader in the church. If there are other leaders... and other people... that they get attention from, fellowship with, go to to discuss problems, etc. your talking to visitors might not bother them so much. If folks feel like they have to have a weekly conversation with the pastor to be spiritually okay or to fulfill some emotional need, then you are going to be very busy after meetings.
12/15/15 2:13 pm

Post revuriah
This thread actually inspired me to write the thread, "Lessons from a Lousy Leader". Not that I'm berating myself. Really, it was meant to show that without Him, I'm more than lousy.

I've made plenty of mistakes as a pastor. I found out the hard way where I'm strong, and where I'm not. Pastors have so many hats to wear, some that simply don't fit. I'm not a good administrator. I need someone to handle that. I'd love it if our pastors could truly focus on the ministry of the Word and prayer, and not the business side, the property upkeep side, etc.. I love to shepherd God's people. That's where I'm strong. I love to teach, to preach, to pray, and to lead in worship. I love to write, to encourage, to visit. But in most of our churches, the pastor does it all, and that can lead to burnout.

Will God place me back in a pulpit as a lead pastor one day? Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm not seeking it out. I just want to serve God and serve His people, in whatever way that is.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/15/15 7:30 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Reminds me of when a new child comes to a home. So, what you do is involve the children with the new baby. Acts-pert Poster
12/15/15 8:21 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic