Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Unpopular MLK post--Warning
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Unpopular MLK post--Warning roughridercog
I am not discounting his contribution to the Civil Rights movement, but in my opinion, the only reason that King is held in such high regard is because he was assassinated. If he would have not been killed, he would probably had just a normal role in history.

I also feel that if JFK were not assassinated he would have just been one more ex-President who cheated on his wife and make major mistakes in office.
Acts Mod
2/8/06 10:31 am

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning Way Word Worship
roughridercog wrote:
I am not discounting his contribution to the Civil Rights movement, but in my opinion, the only reason that King is held in such high regard is because he was assassinated. If he would have not been killed, he would probably had just a normal role in history.

I also feel that if JFK were not assassinated he would have just been one more ex-President who cheated on his wife and make major mistakes in office.

This is a case where the legend has become bigger than the legacy. I remember what it was like to grow up during race riots and attend schools where I was the minority.

It were not a fun time.
2/8/06 10:38 am

Post RR, I think you are right. georgiapath
They both were drinking, skirt chasers. Acts-dicted
2/8/06 10:44 am

Post Re: RR, I think you are right. mealone
georgiapath wrote:
They both were drinking, skirt chasers.

Funny, georgiapath. Laughing
But it is really true.
Acts-celerater
2/8/06 10:52 am

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning Darrell Garrett
It is funny how time distorts things. MLK was an important man and doing a great work, but as indicated in this thread, he was immortalized by a bullet. I sure would not put him in the same class as, say a Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, but by the same token, he was not the kind of man he is celebrated for. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/8/06 10:55 am

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning sheshe
Quote:

Not to mention that MLK was a plagiarist.
2/8/06 11:35 am

Post Plagiarist? roughridercog
sheshe wrote:
Quote:

Not to mention that MLK was a plagiarist.

Oh oh, so are most Church of God preachers.
Acts Mod
2/8/06 2:00 pm

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning Darrell Garrett
Go back to the old board and read Doyle's resonse to this thread. I really wonder why he put it on the old board rather than on this one? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/8/06 2:58 pm

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning notwanghere
I strongly disagree. Martin Luther King was a great man who accomplished great things during his life. Had he not been assassinated he would have accomplished a greater empathy between the races. His assassination allowed racism to become entrenched in some in the African-American community, and allowed the rise of the Al Sharptons of today. I firmly believe if he had lived he would have risen to higher acclaim then he has today.

His vision and accomplishments were great and sadly hijacked by those who had (have) ulterior motives.

I fear that racism is still alive in many cultures both white and black.
Acts Enthusiast
2/8/06 3:12 pm

Post I wondered why Doyle didn't post it here too.... georgiapath
Question Acts-dicted
2/8/06 5:53 pm

Post link DHDRabbi
This is an interesting article. I also remember the book that Ralph David Abernathy wrote that talked about MLKs affair. But, like it is mentioned, MLK was no saint.

http://www.chicagodefender.com/page/business.cfm?ArticleID=3647
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/8/06 6:09 pm

Post If I should die tonight? John T. Johnson
Do we not--should we not--always remember the best about those whose voice has been silenced by some outrageous fortune? Let us leave harsh words of judgment to the Only One qualified to pass it.

If I Should Die Tonight
by Arabella Eugenia Smith (1844 - 1916)

If I should die to-night,
My friends would look upon my quiet face
Before they laid it in its resting-place,
And deem that death had left it almost fair;
And, laying snow-white flowers against my hair,
Would smooth it down with tearful tenderness,
And fold my hands with lingering caress, --
Poor hands, so empty and so cold to-night!

My friends would call to mind with loving thought
Some kindly deed the icy hands had wrought,
Some gentle word the frozen lips had said,
Errands on which the willing feet had sped;
The memory of my selfishness and pride,
My hasty words would all be put aside,
And so I should be loved and mourned to-night.

Even hearts estranged would turn once more to me,
Recalling other days remorsefully;
The eyes that chill me with averted glance
Would look upon me as of yore, perchance,
And soften in the old familiar way,
For who could war with dumb, unconscious clay?
So I might rest, forgiven of all to-night.

Oh, friends! I pray to-night,
Keep not your kisses for my dead, cold brow:
The way is lonely, let me feel them now.
Think gently of me; I am travelworn;
My faltering feet are pierced with many a thorn.
Forgive, oh, hearts estranged, forgive, I plead!
When dreamless rest is mine I shall not need
The tenderness for which I long to-night.
2/8/06 6:57 pm

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning DHDRabbi
Hitler could really sing well. Rolling Eyes [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/8/06 7:01 pm

Post While At Disney Yesterday BV COG
The flags were at half and I asked a park attendent to the reason why, the park attendent answered in a very negative voice and his response cannot be repeated on here, but he did say for King.

Acts-dicted
2/8/06 7:02 pm

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning Memory03
roughridercog wrote:

I agree Rough! MLK had been with a woman other than his wife in the same hotel not long before he was shot. He was no better than Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. And had secret dealings with Communist.

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/8/06 7:08 pm

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning notwanghere
Memory03 wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

I agree Rough! MLK had been with a woman other than his wife in the same hotel not long before he was shot. He was no better than Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. And had secret dealings with Communist.

Womanizing has been a part of our history. No condoning just reporting. From George Washington, Ben Franklin, FDR, Eisenhower ... on and one. To use MLK's infidelity as a dis-qualifier to his effect on history is really sad. Eisenhower, a Republican, is not disqualified from his great role as Supreme Allied Commander because of his infidelity. Oh, Oh, I'm sorry he was a Republican so it doesn't matter.

Its hard to hide bigotry. Like I said earlier its a shame he didn't live to complete his vision.

I am embarrassed for some of you,
Acts Enthusiast
2/8/06 9:18 pm

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning DHDRabbi
There is a difference in our view. If a Republican is in a scandal, we don't treat it like the Dems do with Bill Clinton. Richard Nixon was DEAD wrong for what he did, for example.

What I don't get is how a person like Bill Clinton gets the praises from a church full of folks like he did at the funeral. He gets a pass for his immorality.

BTW, I saw MLK in person in Atlanta in the middle 60s and am very glad that I did. He was great at civil rights but not so good setting an example for Jesus Christ.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/8/06 9:31 pm

Post Re: Unpopular MLK post--Warning sheshe
Quote:
Its hard to hide bigotry. Like I said earlier its a shame he didn't live to complete his vision.

I am embarrassed for some of you,

Why is it automatically bigotry when someone doesn't think great things about MLK. I will acknowledge that he did GREAT things for the black folk and for all humans in general, but why oh why am I a "bigot" because I don't think he should be deified?

I'm sick of a world where if I speak out about ANY black person, I am considered a bigot.

Bad men are bad men. Black, white, purple, Democrat, Rebel, or Whig....a bad man is a bad man.

The only prejudice I have is against Yankees. Oh wait, according to your signature line, you are one.
2/8/06 9:51 pm

Post Personally, I'm Tired of The Black & White Thing BV COG
Honestly, I'm sick of it all. Some complain that it's OK to have a Ms. Black USA but it's wrong to have a Ms. White USA. My point is this, whatever advances are made there will ALWAYS be someone to point out the negatives in the advancement.

I'm really just tired of hearing the whole thing, I hate to say it because it's become such a cliche thing, but why can't we get along?

Acts-dicted
2/8/06 9:58 pm

Post Re: Personally, I'm Tired of The Black & White Thing notwanghere
BV COG wrote:
Honestly, I'm sick of it all. Some complain that it's OK to have a Ms. Black USA but it's wrong to have a Ms. White USA. My point is this, whatever advances are made there will ALWAYS be someone to point out the negatives in the advancement.

I'm really just tired of hearing the whole thing, I hate to say it because it's become such a cliche thing, but why can't we get along?

I generally agree with you BV. There is a double standard. I think to deny MLK's great effect in America would not be honored except he was assassinated is to denigrate a man of great accomplishment and effect. I am personally troubled that any "white" accomplishment is considered racist, which a "black" affair of the same type is considered cultural. That is one thing that MLK would have fought against.

There are racial and cultural differences. Remember the movie "White Men Can't Jump", a movie "Black Men Can't ...whatever" would have been considered racist. This was not the vision of MLK. We as a society do tend still to see in terms of color rather than accomplishments. I strongly abhor MLK's sexual indiscretion's. I believe strongly in monogamy. But to minimize him because of this is to deny him great accomplishment in history.

I am appalled when standards are lowered to allow employment of a minority, they do however need assistance in reaching the same standards. Not the lowering of standards, but the raising of the qualifications of the candidate. This was the message of MLK that men not be judged by the color of their skins, but by their character. He with others led the charge to help remove obstacles which hindered such an accomplishment. He was great in helping the advancement, many of those who picked up his mantle would have been renounced by him for their racism.

Peace
Acts Enthusiast
2/8/06 11:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic