Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Christmas Plays

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Christmas Plays Cojak
Every church I attended up until I was about 40 had Christmas plays. I loved them, even if I was in them.
There was something about a simple play, even the children's plays that touched my heart.

We were fortunate to be in the area of the Crystal Cathedral at Christmas one year. WE were able to see their presentation. I was amazed at the special affects. But it was too 'glitzy' Real folks flying around in the air as angels even. It did not impress me (spiritually) as much as a 4-5 character play in a church of 35-50 people.

I know it is a task, but I like 'em.

Do you still have 'plays'?
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/3/15 7:00 pm

Post Cojak
No one has a 'play' or 'musical'?
12/7/15 12:21 am

Post Yes! Preacher777
Thanks for some Monday morning encouragement Cojak. It is refreshing to see how you are able to share your heart for the real things of God in this and other posts.
We do a simple acting out of scriptures. At Easter we had a reader start at Luke 24:13 with the walk to Emmaus. As The rest of Luke 24 was read people acted it out without saying any words. People are really touched by the Word being acted out without human performance (acting skills, singing abilities etc coming into the scenes).
One year we had Luke 2 read with with Simeon and Anna seeing Jesus.
We are intentional in wanting to have more prayer time than practice time in our presentations. Therefore we limit ourselves to 2-3 rehearsals. We also make it clear that our priorities at Christmas and Easter season are to pray for and visit people when the unsaved are most likely to visit church. Therefore, we don't want people busy with concerns about excellence.
Props are simple as a lady in church is excited to make costumes and we do it on a budget of about $250 or less.
Friendly Face
12/7/15 7:16 am

Post Cojak
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Cojak wrote:
No one has a 'play' or 'musical'?

Starting this Thursday night for four nights in a row!
Would you like me to reserve seats for you??

Smile Since we learned that all old folk should go to Florida, S. Texas or Arizona for the winter, we will be unable to make it. BUT WE WOULD LOVE TO IF WE WERE THAT FAR NORTH. Wink I know there will be some blessed folk.
12/7/15 10:43 am

Post Re: Yes! Cojak
Preacher777 wrote:
Thanks for some Monday morning encouragement ....

Therefore, we don't want people busy with concerns about excellence.
.... .

Thanks my brother, it is good to know that. Even with all the electronic games etc of today for the kids, somethings never change, their imagination is still alive, and plays kick it in, I think. Cool
12/7/15 10:47 am

Post Da Sheik
We do a children's play. They mess up and are totally unpredictable and our folks love it that way Laughing Acts Enthusiast
12/7/15 10:55 am

Post This Sunday brotherjames
we will once again have a MUSICALLY themed worship service. Our typical service to about 2 hrs - 1 hr or so of singing/worship & ministry for healing etc and an hour or so of offering, announcements, preaching and ministry. THis Sunday we will have some worship (singing), several musical specials with our ensemble, orchestra and then a children's play with musical selections and finally a closing word from me (kinda anti-climatic - ha). Our folks love to see the kids, good or bad - usually pretty good. THen on the 16th we do a special candlelight service for about an hour with special music, brief word and prayer. Tried the candlelight service on Christmas eve - it works in places like N. Ohio or New England where you have a lot of ex-catholics who are used to Christmas Eve masses, doesn't work to well in the South so we moved ours to the Wed before Christmas. Works pretty well. Acts-celerater
12/7/15 1:38 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
We do a children's play. They mess up and are totally unpredictable and our folks love it that way Laughing

That makes some of the best memories of life. It is also a 'great memory of church (and Our Lord) itself'. (and Our Lord) I really believe the 'incidental Christ centered' memories have saved many a man and woman. Cool
12/7/15 3:30 pm

Post Re: This Sunday Cojak
brotherjames wrote:
... (kinda anti-climatic - ha). Our folks love to see the kids, good or bad - usually pretty good. .

Great comment, my comment on the kids program is the same as I said on the comment by Da Shiek. As old as I am I still get a kick out of kids making memories...
12/7/15 3:33 pm

Post Re: Christmas Plays Methocostal
Are you Kidding! The last Pentecostal church we attended did not bother to have ONE Christmas song when Christmas occurred on a Sunday. That was the absolute final straw for me. They were too busy with the rah rah God pep rally to actually do a song with the baby Christ child mentioned. They didn't even do any contemporary Christmas songs. That did it for me and raised my contempt for so called contemporary CHRISTIAN songs to a whole new level.

Christmas play? Musical Contata? You gotta be kidding. Bring out the light show turn on the smoke machines.

Sorry for my sarcastic attitude here! Yes, I would love to see an actual Christmas play, or even a cantata. If you want a cantata, your Methodist friends may be having one at their church. You may even get to see the Children's choir singing Away in A Manger! Go! Nobody will notice, or care, if you aren't in Church so you can slip out and experience some of the Christmas spirit somewhere it is still appreciated Smile

And Bah Humbug, just for emphasis Smile

Cojak wrote:
Every church I attended up until I was about 40 had Christmas plays. I loved them, even if I was in them.
There was something about a simple play, even the children's plays that touched my heart.

We were fortunate to be in the area of the Crystal Cathedral at Christmas one year. WE were able to see their presentation. I was amazed at the special affects. But it was too 'glitzy' Real folks flying around in the air as angels even. It did not impress me (spiritually) as much as a 4-5 character play in a church of 35-50 people.

I know it is a task, but I like 'em.

Do you still have 'plays'?
Friendly Face
12/7/15 5:37 pm

Post Cojak... Aaron Scott
I have also been in a number of plays ("Christmas Comes to Detroit Louie" being my favorite).

In our very small church, we have to contend with children that may be there for one practice, not another one, etc. So my wife has her hands full in pulling together something that is oh, so small. But the cool thing is how appreciated it is! The folks seem to just revel in having "something," God bless them.

Big churches put on extravaganzas.

But in small, rural communities, a simple Nativity narrative can be so disproportionately appreciated that it is just wonderful to be a part of it.

Cojak, maybe it's time you WROTE a Christmas play with small Churches of God in mind???
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/7/15 7:56 pm

Post Re: Cojak... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
I have also been in a number of plays ("Christmas Comes to Detroit Louie" being my favorite).

In our very small church, we have to contend with children that may be there for one practice, not another one, etc. So my wife has her hands full in pulling together something that is oh, so small. But the cool thing is how appreciated it is! The folks seem to just revel in having "something," God bless them.

Big churches put on extravaganzas.

But in small, rural communities, a simple Nativity narrative can be so disproportionately appreciated that it is just wonderful to be a part of it.

Cojak, maybe it's time you WROTE a Christmas play with small Churches of God in mind???

That is not a bad idea....

But I know from the enthusiasm of those kids, they do appreciate anything. You have a wonderful group, and I would bet they do enjoy Christmas. BTW drop me via IM, your present address my friend. Idea
12/7/15 9:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic