Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Thomas Kinkade and his Losing Battle with Alcoholism...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Thomas Kinkade and his Losing Battle with Alcoholism... Quiet Wyatt
"The tragedy of my brother is he eventually fell to his own humanity. The triumph of my brother is that his art was never touched by that tragedy. His art was affirmation that there was hope, there was beauty, and a statement of love that wasn't touched by this."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/08/the-drunken-downfall-of-evangelical-america-s-favorite-painter.html

It appears that his death was caused by alcohol and Valium intoxication, and that it was his chronic alcoholism which really led to his death. He also apparently did most of his painting during manic bouts of sobriety.

While I personally was never a big fan of his work (though I did admire some of it, especially in his early days), as a former alcoholic myself, I can't help but identify with Kincade's brokenness and struggle and feel genuine sympathy for him. It seems to me that he tried to paint the perfect world that his heart so longed for.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 12/2/15 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/2/15 3:12 pm

Post Cojak
To tell the truth I did not recognize the name, but when I just make a quick check of his works, yes I have admired his works for years.

Aaron mentioned in his sermon Sunday, "WE know so little about drugs and alcohol we want to say, "JUST STOP IT! There is so much more to it than that. When Aaron said that in his sermon I remember saying basically the same thing to a nephew who had been a champion in the Golden Gloves, and had such a future but drugs took him down and out at 43.

I feel for those close to the addict who ride the ups and downs with them until it takes the toll on them. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/2/15 4:41 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
As with all talented people - to see their demons exposed - and how it takes everything in their life - is truly very sad - and one to be pitied.

Too bad this prodigal never found his way home.
12/2/15 6:19 pm

Post Da Sheik
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
As with all talented people - to see their demons exposed - and how it takes everything in their life - is truly very sad - and one to be pitied.

I hope he did but I agree with you NBF. So many gifted and talented people are dealing with terrible addictions and it's tragic.
Acts Enthusiast
12/2/15 6:26 pm

Post Cojak
The post on Dekker went off stride to Kincade.
It is one of those things in art that amazes me. I look at the picture (painting) if I think it is beautiful, I like it. I glanced back thru stuff Kincade did and I like it. I like the snow scenes. The country churches. The Family spots.

I did not know about Kincade's life. I never took an art appreciation course, I plan to if I ever retire from the road. Since I do paint, I have read a lot and I still like Kincade's stuff over Van-G. I even think the Mona Lisa is pretty but since I am no critique, I have seen better by much less acclaimed artists.

BUT to me, I like a beautiful picture, and wish I were as talented. I do appreciate the artist, but I do not buy paintings. Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/2/15 6:30 pm

Post UncleJD
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

We agree, it is a tragic story. Money and fame at the cost of ones soul always is. I pray he found forgiveness before the last second ticked away.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/2/15 8:24 pm

Post Re: Thomas Kinkade and his Losing Battle with Alcoholism... bradfreeman
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
"The tragedy of my brother is he eventually fell to his own humanity. The triumph of my brother is that his art was never touched by that tragedy. His art was affirmation that there was hope, there was beauty, and a statement of love that wasn't touched by this."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/08/the-drunken-downfall-of-evangelical-america-s-favorite-painter.html

It appears that his death was caused by alcohol and Valium intoxication, and that it was his chronic alcoholism which really led to his death. He also apparently did most of his painting during manic bouts of sobriety.

While I personally was never a big fan of his work (though I did admire some of it, especially in his early days), as a former alcoholic myself, I can't help but identify with Kincade's brokenness and struggle and feel genuine sympathy for him. It seems to me that he tried to paint the perfect world that his heart so longed for.

What is the point of this post?
To highlight a brother's weakness/humanity?

Are you planning on going public with your secret struggles?

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
12/3/15 6:55 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
In the thread about Dekker's novels, http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=84064 Kinkade's art was criticized as being "drug-addled." I had not heard that he was addicted to drugs but had struggled with alcoholism, so I was curious, and looked for better information than I had. When I came across the article in the Daily Beast, I felt it shed light on Kinkade's struggles, and might give better understanding to some concerning them. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/3/15 7:13 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Brad,
In this instance, I believe the article was appropriate.

Kinkade was charged on Actscelerate with being drug addled - as a derogatory slur towards his paintings.

I thought it was an unfair cheap shot.

This article painted a fair biography of the man and his talent...and his untimely demise.
12/3/15 7:46 am

Post diakoneo
Most people don't know that alcohol is a drug as is caffeine. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/3/15 12:36 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
diakoneo wrote:
Most people don't know that alcohol is a drug as is caffeine.

Yep. All these Starbucks addicted preachers is no different than A A Allen or Kinkade. Lots of em even got the cup a Java settin on at little table side their stool where they chit chatting with the folk (they call it preachin). Shameful ain't it, they brazenly open bout their addiction.
Acts-pert Poster
12/3/15 1:40 pm

Post georgiapath
I just paid $6.95 for a Christmas Card for our Sunday School teacher. I don't have any of his paintings but I do buy the Christmas Cards.

It's too bad that his life ended that way.
Acts-dicted
12/3/15 1:42 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
diakoneo wrote:

I know both these things. But people don't usually refer to drunks as "drug-addled." They just call them drunks. In any case, the article says Kinkade was sober while he painted.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 12/3/15 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/3/15 1:48 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
In any case, the article says Kinkade was sober while he painted.

I couldn't find anything in the article (the one linked to in The Beast) saying he was sober while he painted, though it seems likely to me that he was.
To say his art transcended the humanity that he succumbed to is not necessarily saying he painted sober; it is saying that his artwork succeeded in conveying hope, beauty, and love.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/3/15 2:53 pm

Post diakoneo
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Yep. All these Starbucks addicted preachers is no different than A A Allen or Kinkade. Lots of em even got the cup a Java settin on at little table side their stool where they chit chatting with the folk (they call it preachin). Shameful ain't it, they brazenly open bout their addiction.

Laughing

Yeah I have a coffee drinking problem too.

I suppose "socially acceptable" would be the term used for alcohol.

As to caffeine, it is not mind altering or mind numbing and "socially acceptable" in MOST Christian circles Twisted Evil
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/3/15 3:10 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

I couldn't find anything in the article (the one linked to in The Beast) saying he was sober while he painted, though it seems likely to me that he was.
To say his art transcended the humanity that he succumbed to is not necessarily saying he painted sober; it is saying that his artwork succeeded in conveying hope, beauty, and love.

I read several articles on Kinkade yesterday. I apparently got that from a different article. I will try and find which one I read it in. Sorry about the confusion.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/3/15 3:42 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
diakoneo wrote:
As to caffeine, it is not mind altering or mind numbing

I don't know, D, hey, I drunk a few cups a hot coffee the other mornin an got right comfortably numb, an for I knowed it ma mind had been altered to the point I wanted to take a nap.
Acts-pert Poster
12/3/15 6:58 pm

Post georgiapath
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

I read several articles on Kinkade yesterday. I apparently got that from a different article. I will try and find which one I read it in. Sorry about the confusion.

I thought it was in the above article too.
Acts-dicted
12/4/15 9:04 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic