Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

The rise and fall of the art of Thomas Kinkade

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The rise and fall of the art of Thomas Kinkade UncleJD
Ok, I wasn't sure what to title this so there you go. I didn't want to keep hijacking the Decker thread. I think Kinkade's tragic story can be summed up in his art. You can see where he went from actually attempting art (it was not great, but at least it was in the great impressionistic genre and really not bad), to appealing to the masses for money. I thought I'd put a few examples of how his art "progressed" over the years. This does not take into account the thousands of prints/copies that he would simply sign and sell to our parents and others who thought they were buying "real" paintings.

This isn't to judge his soul, I hope he found forgiveness and mercy, I sincerely do.

An early one called "Portrait of a Woman", he painted very few portraits in his career, you may (or may not) wonder why.

Here's one called "The Prince of Peace" from 1980 that is pretty cool. Obviously WAY different than his "painter of light" years. To me, this is much more expressive, the way art is supposed to be.

Another one from 1980 called "The Old Watchmaker", A hint of the "light" that made him famous

Then there's the phase we all know like this one. Its pretty, no doubt about it. Makes me want a brownie and a blanket.

Then came the Lazy-Boy (and pot-holders, and rugs, and welcome-mats). I think if you bought one of these you should be forced to carry it on your back through eternity as a warning to others who would part with their money for such..

Then toward the end, something went terribly wrong. There are so many its hard to just show one, but I think this one sums up the horrid, blinding 70's leisure-suit loudness of it all

What he sees.

What I see.
[/img]
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/2/15 8:19 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
If the ole timer may be so bold to ask, "What is wrong with Kinkade's art?" Acts-pert Poster
12/2/15 8:35 pm

Post UncleJD
OT. That's a good question and since it has to do with art, its mostly subjective, so all I can give is my opinion along with some observation. In my opinion, the first 3 I posted above are actually art, and nothing is wrong with them. The fourth one I admit I like as a picture or decoration. That is the problem I have with the "art" side of it all. Surely you can see a difference in the progression here, and I posted them in chronological order. Some time in the 90s when his stuff was "new", I, like most others, liked what I saw, however after over a decade of it, it all ran together. There are few that stand out in my mind as a unique work as say a Picasso or a Monet would. They are a massive jumble of trees, cottage windows, streams and clouds. Its decoration, its wall paper, but I don't think it qualifies as art (again I speak of the mass-produced stuff, not of everything he did). Art should move you and never leave your mind. When I see a gray guitar to this day I think of the Picasso masterpiece that hangs in a museum I saw 20 years ago, the tragedy in the eyes of the player, everything seemed broken and forced, no joy in color or mood. It touches you. Now I know some of those paintings of Kinkade actually bring up a slight emotional response, feelings of patriotism, home and hearth, things we all love, but it doesn't go deep.
Then the Disney phase is self-explanatory. Its simply Disney Store souvenir.

Then there's the marketing. I feel the same about his "art" sales as I do about TV evangelists appealing to old people for their pensions. Research it, all of the so-called limited editions out there.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/2/15 9:17 pm

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
If the ole timer may be so bold to ask, "What is wrong with Kinkade's art?"

It is an opinion, the world if full of them, everyone has one.

To me it is sorta like,"Actress cyz wore a hideous dress to the awards!" Someone must have thought it looked great! If it was hideous, the lady would not have worn it.

It is not envy, just a desire for talent, I wish I had a matching talent to fit Kincade's ability.. There is some art that folks pay big bucks for that I would not hang in my house. (I would take it if given so I could sell it to someone who valued it.)

I don't understand it when a beautiful winter scene is painted, then for someone to say, 'that isn't art' floors me. YOu do not have to be trained to enjoy beauty, or only the sophisticated would know art. Then some think they are the only ones that do. JMHO

If you get any pretty Christmas cards just throw them in the trash, it sure ain't art. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/2/15 10:54 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
UncleJD,

Let's just say Kinkade found his niche - and you and the American public disagree on his skills.

If you ever create something of value - your opinion may mean something. Right now - it simply smacks of tearing down someone else to make you feel better. Probably a worse sin than any Kinkade ever committed. Evil or Very Mad
12/3/15 7:51 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic