Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Can God Use Sickness/Disease to bring Himself Glory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post BJ, hey... Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
I am sick of this nonsense from you OTCP.

No one likes their beliefs challenged, but if one is going to engage in healthy theological dialogue, one must offer a legitimate Scriptural basis for one's position, the ad hominem approach is not effective.

PS, love you too bro.
Acts-pert Poster
12/1/15 12:29 am

Post love you too brotherjames
And fyi I have and Aaron has and others have given you ample scriptural evidence to refute your position on healing et al and you just choose to ignore it. So, your position imho is nonsense. Hardly think that qualifies as an ad hominem attack. I really am not interested in playing your game any more. This is old stuff. We agree to disagree. TTFN Acts-celerater
12/1/15 1:25 pm

Post Re: love you too Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
And fyi I have and Aaron has and others have given you ample scriptural evidence to refute your position on healing et al and you just choose to ignore it. So, your position imho is nonsense. Hardly think that qualifies as an ad hominem attack. I really am not interested in playing your game any more. This is old stuff. We agree to disagree. TTFN

BJ, son, you an others has give the ole timer distorted interpretations a some pet verses an all, but no solid exegesis. So, yep, we gonna have to agree to disagree.
Acts-pert Poster
12/1/15 3:18 pm

Post Re: Can God Use Sickness/Disease to bring Himself Glory? Ventureforth
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Many would say, NO! Sickness/Disease is of the devil. But what about Joseph's encouraging admonition to his brothers? They were in fear Joseph would retaliate with vengeance. Joseph said, "You meant it for evil, BUT GOD meant it for good."

Two cases in point (among scores I have experienced during my years in ministry):

1. One of my parishioners a few years ago developed cancer, from which he eventually died. This guys was always in church, but never manifested many signs of a close spiritual walk with the Lord. I was visiting with him only a month before he passed. His words? "I've never felt closer to God than I feel right now." Could God have used the sickness/disease to draw this guy's heart closer to himself?

2. Just last week I went to the hospital to visit a man I've pastored for several years, who has developed a disease that could easily take his life. I've never even once seen him show any sign of worship, connection with God, etc. A good man, but not a spiritual man. As I prayed for him in the hospital, he wept profusely, something I have never seen him do. His entire demeanor was different. His focus was on God.

Can God Use Sickness/Disease to bring Himself Glory? To point men/women to Himself? To draw a person's heart away from the temporal and point it to the eternal?

Absolutely! This is the sovereignty of God. A person can go to heaven with 10,000 medical conditions. But a person can't go to heaven lost!!!!!!!!!

Is it your opinion that God uses sickness and disease only to bring Him glory? (Just reading your title.)
If so(or even if not), what in sickness and disease brings God glory?
It is for our spiritual benefit isn't it or we could say, spiritual growth? As you have suggested.

Just adding a little clarification. Smile

Perhaps another good question is whether it was God's ultimate will for us to have sickness and disease. However, I think it is sometimes necessary for growth and to bring about His ultimate plan.
Acts-celerater
12/1/15 6:50 pm

Post Re: Can God Use Sickness/Disease to bring Himself Glory? Old Time Country Preacher
Ventureforth wrote:
Is it your opinion that God uses sickness and disease only to bring Him glory? (Just reading your title.)
If so(or even if not), what in sickness and disease brings God glory?
It is for our spiritual benefit isn't it or we could say, spiritual growth? As you have suggested.

Just adding a little clarification. Smile

Perhaps another good question is whether it was God's ultimate will for us to have sickness and disease. However, I think it is sometimes necessary for growth and to bring about His ultimate plan.

I don't ever post my opinion, VF, only biblical truth. Cool

It is not the sickness/disease itself that brings glory, as sickness/disease are both the result of sin's entrance into the world. Sickness/disease can be used as a tool in individual lives to direct the focus away from the temporal and toward the eternal, i.e., God. This is where "glory to God" comes in, not "in being sick" but what that sickness produces in terms of focus/priority.
Acts-pert Poster
12/1/15 11:00 pm

Post Re: Can God Use Sickness/Disease to bring Himself Glory? Ventureforth
Ok Acts-celerater
12/2/15 4:55 pm

Post Re: Can God Use Sickness/Disease to bring Himself Glory? bradfreeman
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Many would say, NO! Sickness/Disease is of the devil. But what about Joseph's encouraging admonition to his brothers? They were in fear Joseph would retaliate with vengeance. Joseph said, "You meant it for evil, BUT GOD meant it for good."

Let's start with this: Joseph's statement had NOTHING to do with sickness or disease.

The answer to your question:
Of course He can. God can work all things together for good. But just because God makes beautiful lemonade, doesn't mean He sends the lemons.

He is the Good Tree who cannot bear bad fruit.
He is the Source of life, not the thief who steals, kills and destroys.
He is the source of every good and perfect gift and never varies.

All bad, evil, death, etc., is the natural consequence of trying to find life in the wrong tree, apart from the Source of all life (which is what Adam unleashed on the world), in a system of the knowledge of good and evil.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
12/3/15 6:51 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic