Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

God Doing a Mighty Work Among Syrian Refugees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Nature Boy Florida
Agreed Nick.

In hindsight, we should have let in 6,000,000 Jews at a minimum.

I was just pointing out the concerns folks had - and they weren't entirely incorrect. No one knew what was going to happen.

However, one thing we did learn. We created a Jewish state in their old homeland - and protected them while they got "on their feet". It has been a great success - much better than if they were simply refuges in a foreign land.

Perhaps a Christian Arab nation should be next - where any refugees would be welcome to go. Anyone desiring Sharia law could stay in their misery. Put it right next to Israel - no Muslims could be in leadership there. Wonder if that would be a success as well?

Another thing we have learned: Helping Muslims have a self determining nation (Iraq) has been an utter failure. Immoral people need an iron fist dictator. Only moral people can have a self determining govt.
11/20/15 3:03 pm

Post Nick Park
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Agreed Nick.

In hindsight, we should have let in 6,000,000 Jews at a minimum.

Ah come on, we both know the numbers that could make the journey were never going to be more than a few thousand.

My own country, Ireland, allowed a grand total of 38 Jewish refugees to enter the country in the Nazi era - because domestic politics made it unpopular to be seen to be helping Britain in their war with Germany. And each of those 38 had to be Jewish converts to Catholicism. Today we are deeply ashamed of our forefathers in that respect.

Quote:
Perhaps a Christian Arab nation should be next - where any refugees would be welcome to go. Anyone desiring Sharia law could stay in their misery. Put it right next to Israel - no Muslims could be in leadership there. Wonder if that would be a success as well?

I hate the idea of a Christian nation. Or of banning anyone from leadership on the grounds of their religion. That's the kind of stuff that made the Pilgrim Fathers emigrate to America.

But I think there is enough desert in the Middle East that could be purchased (it worked with Alaska and the Louisiana Purchase) and then transformed into a prosperous and democratic secular State with full commitment to human rights and freedom of religion for all. Building such an infrastructure would probably cost less than the trillions that have been spent on wars in the region over the last 15 years. The borders and Constitution would be guaranteed by the international community and it would provide a haven for those fleeing oppression, irrespective of their religion. Such a State could easily become a hub for investment, education and technological innovation.

Of course that wouldn't meet the short term crisis. But it might be a long term solution.

Quote:
Another thing we have learned: Helping Muslims have a self determining nation (Iraq) has been an utter failure. Immoral people need an iron fist dictator. Only moral people can have a self determining govt.

Not necessarily a dictator. But it was a big mistake to assume that democracy is a magic wand. Democracy works where there is a widespread commitment to values such as compassion, respect for others and tolerance. Generally you find these values where people have been exposed to Christianity. Try democracy without these values and you end up with tribalism, widespread corruption, or people elect the biggest extremists and nutjobs such as Hezbollah.

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
11/20/15 3:40 pm

Post Cojak
Nick Park wrote:
But it was a big mistake to assume that democracy is a magic wand. Democracy works where there is a widespread commitment to values such as compassion, respect for others and tolerance. Generally you find these values where people have been exposed to Christianity. Try democracy without these values and you end up with tribalism, widespread corruption, or people elect the biggest extremists and nutjobs such as Hezbollah.

You have told a great truth here. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/21/15 3:50 pm

Post Money where your mouth is patrickballington
Hey Nick

Thanks for the great update. A lot of Americans (including many on this thread) talk about providing aid to the refugees where they are. I. Understand the concern, but no one is asking where or how to send support.

SO....

How can my church send financial support to help those caring for and evangelizing the Syrian refugees? We want to give directly to the person or persons who are there getting it done for Christ.

Do you have that information or someone I can connect with?

Patrick
Friendly Face
11/24/15 11:24 pm

Post Thanks Nick wayne
I shared this great news on our Church facebook page. I appreciate your insight and updates. You have helped me more than once, look at my belief in God through a Kingdom set of eyes instead of an American/COG set of eyes. Acts Enthusiast
11/27/15 8:55 am

Post Re: Money where your mouth is Nick Park
patrickballington wrote:
Hey Nick

Thanks for the great update. A lot of Americans (including many on this thread) talk about providing aid to the refugees where they are. I. Understand the concern, but no one is asking where or how to send support.

SO....

How can my church send financial support to help those caring for and evangelizing the Syrian refugees? We want to give directly to the person or persons who are there getting it done for Christ.

Do you have that information or someone I can connect with?

Patrick

Patrick, the best person within the Church of God to contact would probably be Jonathan Augustine. As Regional Superintendent for Central Europe and the Balkans, his people are in the front line of the refugee exodus across Europe. National Overseer for Serbia, Miroslav Radovanovich, is working tirelessly at the Croatian border.

Miroslav also runs a Facebook group (Exodus 22:21) which gives plenty of updates (with photos) of his ministry to refugees. It's a closed group, but I'm sure Miroslav will accept requests from those who are genuinely interested in helping the refugees.

The Church of God school in Germany, European Theological Seminary (a partner of Lee University) is also worth contacting. Some of their students are regularly visiting refugee camps to evangelize.

Outside of Church of God, a lot of parachurch groups are coordinating relief and evangelistic efforts. The European Evangelical Alliance (EEA) and the Pentecostal European Fellowship (PEF) can be contacted through their webpages and should be able to connect you with fruitful ministries to refugees.

Blessings!

Nick

Acts Enthusiast
11/27/15 11:18 am

Post diakoneo
Great information, thanks! Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/27/15 1:58 pm

Post Nick Park
For those of you who do Facebook, I recommend you check out the Facebook page of "Crossroads International Church Freudenstadt, Germany".

This Church of God congregation, pastored by Jivko Jacobs (himself a Bulgarian who is married to a Spanish girl) is closely linked with the nearby European Theological Seminary in Kniebis, Germany.

They have posted photographs from their Advent Service where over 30 refugees from Syria and Afghanistan were in the congregation. In terms of the European church context, where growth is often slow, to see 30 visitors in a church service is remarkable. For those visitors to be from Muslim nations is astounding.

Please continue to pray for the churches in Germany and other European nations as they seek to effectively disciple the many refugees who are coming to Christ at this time.

Acts Enthusiast
12/1/15 5:44 am

Post Re: God Doing a Mighty Work Among Syrian Refugees Methocostal
I am curious as to what appears to be the reason they are immediately turning to Christ. Obviously, Jesus is the answer. Has your friend indicated why they now see the light?

I'm wondering if it is because they finally see the brutality of Muslim extremism or the alternative of the peace that God provides. I realize God is using this to bring them to him, but I'm wondering what appears to be the turning point (from a secular perspective). Obviously, the spirit has led them, but what are people saying has convinced them of Christianity vs Muslim?

Nick Park wrote:
This week I am in Turin, Italy, speaking at the PEM (Pentecostal European Mission) Conference on ministering the Gospel to refugees and immigrants. Key missions leaders from all across Europe are excited as never before at what is taking place. Churches had mobilised to minister to Syrian refugees, expecting it to be a purely humanitarian mission to terrified people fleeing civil war and the unspeakable brutality of ISIS.

Instead it is turning out to be the most significant evangelistic event in any of our lifetimes. Missionaries are reporting that refugees, as soon as they cross the border, are lining up and asking for copies of the Bible. For many, as soon as they are no longer in an Islamic country, their first question is “How do I become a Christian?” Churches in Germany, that have been spiritually moribund for years with increasingly elderly congregations, are suddenly crying out for workers to help them disciple the new Middle Eastern converts that are coming to their services. Some of them, who normally rarely baptise any converts, are now holding baptistmal services every month. In Turkey, itself a Muslim country, Syrian churches are starting up. Many of these new believers are members of designated Unreached People Groups, those whom it is almost impossible to evangelize in their own countries.

A few weeks ago I talked with a wonderful young man, a student in one of our Church of God Bible schools, who came to Europe as a refugee from the Middle East. He grew up as a Muslim, but is now a Pentecostal believer. Today he is leading a group of students who visit a local refugee camp to minister on a regular basis. Not only that, but several times a year he travels to Iraq to preach in the many new churches that are springing up there.
In Ireland we now have seven Church of God pastors (three of them ex-Muslims) who came to our country as refugee/asylum seekers.

I recently spoke with an evangelist working in the Middle East. He made an amazing statement, “ISIS have caused more people to turn to Christ than Billy Graham.”

God is truly doing something great in our generation.
Friendly Face
12/2/15 5:24 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic