Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

God Doing a Mighty Work Among Syrian Refugees
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post God Doing a Mighty Work Among Syrian Refugees Nick Park
This week I am in Turin, Italy, speaking at the PEM (Pentecostal European Mission) Conference on ministering the Gospel to refugees and immigrants. Key missions leaders from all across Europe are excited as never before at what is taking place. Churches had mobilised to minister to Syrian refugees, expecting it to be a purely humanitarian mission to terrified people fleeing civil war and the unspeakable brutality of ISIS.

Instead it is turning out to be the most significant evangelistic event in any of our lifetimes. Missionaries are reporting that refugees, as soon as they cross the border, are lining up and asking for copies of the Bible. For many, as soon as they are no longer in an Islamic country, their first question is “How do I become a Christian?” Churches in Germany, that have been spiritually moribund for years with increasingly elderly congregations, are suddenly crying out for workers to help them disciple the new Middle Eastern converts that are coming to their services. Some of them, who normally rarely baptise any converts, are now holding baptistmal services every month. In Turkey, itself a Muslim country, Syrian churches are starting up. Many of these new believers are members of designated Unreached People Groups, those whom it is almost impossible to evangelize in their own countries.

A few weeks ago I talked with a wonderful young man, a student in one of our Church of God Bible schools, who came to Europe as a refugee from the Middle East. He grew up as a Muslim, but is now a Pentecostal believer. Today he is leading a group of students who visit a local refugee camp to minister on a regular basis. Not only that, but several times a year he travels to Iraq to preach in the many new churches that are springing up there.
In Ireland we now have seven Church of God pastors (three of them ex-Muslims) who came to our country as refugee/asylum seekers.

I recently spoke with an evangelist working in the Middle East. He made an amazing statement, “ISIS have caused more people to turn to Christ than Billy Graham.”

God is truly doing something great in our generation.

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
11/17/15 4:54 pm

Post Link
Thanks for sharing this encouraging testimony.

When the refugee crisis started, my wife had a desire to go to Europe and minister to the people there. If Christians will preach and minister, this is a great opportunity. It is also better for Europe if the Syrian who aren't believers repent and believe the Gospel. Many see the refugee situation as a curse, when many good things could come out of it, in spite of the suffering it has caused.

The Bible predicts a time when Yahweh will bless Assyria, calling Assyria the work of His hands. And regarding Ishmael, Abraham prayed that Ishmael might live before the LORD, and the Lord said that He had heard His prayer. There's a lot of material there to use in intercession.
11/17/15 5:44 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Nick,
Then....What are we doing wrong in America?
If all these Muslims are turning to Christ, we aren't seeing it here. Most stay Muslim - or at best secular (here in North Florida). I don't see a great awakening to Christ here.
11/17/15 5:53 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Maybe they see a "Christian" nation that is refusing to help them. We are able to separate Christianity from the government but they don't. Acts-pert Poster
11/17/15 6:19 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Maybe they see a "Christian" nation that is refusing to help them. We are able to separate Christianity from the government but they don't.

Maybe - but I doubt it.

That's just way too simplistic Eddie... but it fits the blame America for doing everything wrong crowd - even though America has been the country that provides the most aid, blood and guts for all of the world. I guess they separate that out as well.

However, we should set up a way to aid them in their own countries - and to help them rid themselves of terrorists - and preach the gospel to them.

The govt has a mandate to protect its citizens first - you know, provide for the common DEFENSE - and importing folks that want to blow up your home and theater and marathon defeats that basic purpose of govt.

If you know of a way to screen them out - it would be fine. About the only common theme is to find out of they adhere to the Muslim faith - or like to say Alahu Ahkbar (which seems to be the one common denominator in all of these terrorist activities). Our govt is too stupid to check this - so we are forced to keep all of them out.
11/17/15 6:41 pm

Post Cojak
Thanks for a great positive post. I certainly appreciate it.

It seems no stretch to understand, Eddie, coming from under the 'knife' of ISIS, to seek some relief. I doubt if your church has had any apply for help or conversion. Ours has not. Neither has there been any open invitations for Christians to enter the 'enclaves' here.

There has been no such situation here in the USA, the Muslim here is ensconced in his previous life, and already has his mosque fellows. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/17/15 7:42 pm

Post Cojak
I certainly do not want to be negative about such a great post. It is a breath of fresh air after what we see on the news here concerning the Syrian refugees. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/17/15 7:46 pm

Post UncleJD
I think we can take this as wonderful news, and pray that it continues if the flood isn't stemmed. I don't think we have to both appreciate this story AND take it as prescriptive. It is a great report and I rejoice for them. I do not, however, believe any differently about the overall situation. I believe that those fleeing for legitimate reasons are more open to the Gospel, but its not them I'm worried about (as much). Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/17/15 7:56 pm

Post diakoneo
This is great news Nick! I rejoice and pray with and for you a continued great harvest. God is truly working all things together for good, to them that love Him, to the called according to His purpose! Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/17/15 9:37 pm

Post Re: God Doing a Mighty Work Among Syrian Refugees Ventureforth
Nick Park wrote:
I recently spoke with an evangelist working in the Middle East. He made an amazing statement, “ISIS have caused more people to turn to Christ than Billy Graham.”

God is truly doing something great in our generation.

Great news!!!
It looks like people there are beginning to discern the light of Christ from the darkness and evil of ISIS. But even beyond this I believe God is reaching out to them in multiple ways. Praise God!
Acts-celerater
11/18/15 1:53 am

Post Nick Park
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Nick,
If all these Muslims are turning to Christ, we aren't seeing it here. Most stay Muslim - or at best secular (here in North Florida). I don't see a great awakening to Christ here.

Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking of Muslims as one group, which would be like lumping all 'Christians' together whether they be Church of God or Episcopalians.

Certain Muslim groups are more open to Christ than others. Iranians, for example, tend to be wide open to the Gospel. I noticed recently that there are at least 12 Iranian churches in one US city (Los Angeles).

Syrians are also wide open. Floyd McClung tweeted this morning: "I've never experienced such openness to Jesus in 60 years of following Jesus as among Syrian refugees. It's a tipping point." A number of commentators are now seriously predicting that ISIS are causing 'the end of Islam' (Lord, how I wish that were true, but I think they're getting carried away in their enthusiasm).

But I think the attitude of the churches is key as well. Do we look at world events in faith or in fear?

For example, due to geography (living on an island) no refugees can walk to Ireland or arrive on a train. The only Syrian refugees that come here are by inter-governmental arrangement. Irish pastors have their congregations praying that the refugees, as they arrive, will be housed as close to our churches as possible. We are really looking forward to the opportunity to win them for Christ, and are disappointed if they are housed in another part of the country! Then I log onto Facebook, and I see Pentecostal pastors in the US demanding that their State Governors ban any refugees from coming to their State.

This is puzzling since Christians in Europe and the US share the same Bible. I do notice that European Christians (the born-again kind, not nominal believers) tend to define their identity in terms of their faith, often caring little for their national identity which is seen as an accident of birth. They see themselves more as citizens of the kingdom of heaven, whereas American Christians are often more nationalistic. Also, in Europe, you don't get many Christians identifying strongly with one political party, as happens in the US. For example, when European pastors post on Facebook or Twitter about immigration they tend to quote Scripture. When American pastors post on the same subject they are much more likely to refer to political parties and politicians. That isn't intended as a criticism or a slam - just an observation on how culturally different our churches have become on either side of the Atlantic.

The main thing, which I'm sure we can all rejoice about on both sides of the Atlantic, is that today more Muslims are turning to Christ that at any time in history!

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
11/18/15 4:05 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Nick Park wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Nick,

Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking of Muslims as one group, which would be like lumping all 'Christians' together whether they be Church of God or Episcopalians.

Certain Muslim groups are more open to Christ than others. Iranians, for example, tend to be wide open to the Gospel. I noticed recently that there are at least 12 Iranian churches in one US city (Los Angeles).

Syrians are also wide open. Floyd McClung tweeted this morning: "I've never experienced such openness to Jesus in 60 years of following Jesus as among Syrian refugees. It's a tipping point." A number of commentators are now seriously predicting that ISIS are causing 'the end of Islam' (Lord, how I wish that were true, but I think they're getting carried away in their enthusiasm).

But I think the attitude of the churches is key as well. Do we look at world events in faith or in fear?

For example, due to geography (living on an island) no refugees can walk to Ireland or arrive on a train. The only Syrian refugees that come here are by inter-governmental arrangement. Irish pastors have their congregations praying that the refugees, as they arrive, will be housed as close to our churches as possible. We are really looking forward to the opportunity to win them for Christ, and are disappointed if they are housed in another part of the country! Then I log onto Facebook, and I see Pentecostal pastors in the US demanding that their State Governors ban any refugees from coming to their State.

This is puzzling since Christians in Europe and the US share the same Bible. I do notice that European Christians (the born-again kind, not nominal believers) tend to define their identity in terms of their faith, often caring little for their national identity which is seen as an accident of birth. They see themselves more as citizens of the kingdom of heaven, whereas American Christians are often more nationalistic. Also, in Europe, you don't get many Christians identifying strongly with one political party, as happens in the US. For example, when European pastors post on Facebook or Twitter about immigration they tend to quote Scripture. When American pastors post on the same subject they are much more likely to refer to political parties and politicians. That isn't intended as a criticism or a slam - just an observation on how culturally different our churches have become on either side of the Atlantic.

The main thing, which I'm sure we can all rejoice about on both sides of the Atlantic, is that today more Muslims are turning to Christ that at any time in history!

Thanks for the insight. This is indeed good news.
11/18/15 8:13 am

Post revuriah
I've heard these reports, as well, and I do rejoice. We do have a great opportunity on our own doorstep to minister to "the least of these".

While I want to see Christ's Body doing His work, what is the role of the government? Just a few minutes ago, someone posted a meme directed to governors opposing the refugees because of the lack of vetting we can do. It was the Good Samaritan. Terrorists have already used refugee status to pull off attacks. What role does our gov't have in keeping the citizenry safe? The gov't isn't the Church. We are the Church. It's my job and yours to serve those in need.

So am I missing something by doing what Jesus called us to do, while the gov't does what it must do to protect us? Does it make me less like Jesus to want the gov't to do its due diligence in keeping us safe while I reach out to the refugees around me? I ask this because I keep seeing either extreme.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
11/18/15 8:52 am

Post Eddie Robbins
http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com/2015/11/17/3-facts-about-syrian-refugee-situation-that-some-christians-overlook/ Acts-pert Poster
11/18/15 8:53 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie,

The role of govt and the role of Christians are two different things.

Our govt has handcuffed us with 20 trillion in debt - and we feed, educate and clothe 50 million folks who are "unable" to work already.

The govt must defend us. As Trump says - lets built them a big beautiful safe haven in their own country - and any religious organization that wants to join in to help will be able to do so.
11/18/15 9:29 am

Post diakoneo
Nick Park said:
Quote:

There you nailed it. Are we about faith or fear?

Death...what is that to a Christian???

Is Christ not our Light, Salvation and the Fortress of our Life? Psalm 27:1
David went on to say, "of whom shall I be afraid?"

Yes we have a responsibility to our families. To protect them from harm. We also have a mandate from our maker and He truly is our protector.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/18/15 9:32 am

Post diakoneo
Nature Boy Florida said:
Quote:
The govt must defend us. As Trump says - lets built them a big beautiful safe haven in their own country - and any religious organization that wants to join in to help will be able to do so.

Trump also said: "I'd bomb the s**t out of ISSIS"...yes he used the expletive in a speech Shocked

And while I heartily agree with the sentiment, I must say that his inability to convey something above a 3rd grade level amazes me!
11/18/15 9:37 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
diakoneo wrote:
Nature Boy Florida said:
Quote:

Trump also said: "I'd bomb the s**t out of ISSIS"...yes he used the expletive in a speech Shocked

And while I heartily agree with the sentiment, I must say that his inability to convey something above a 3rd grade level amazes me!

3rd grade intelligence is way above what we have now. That is why he is still doing well in the polls.
11/18/15 12:53 pm

Post diakoneo
The question of the day is: Jesus versus Allah...who wins?

I know my answer, but to hear some Christians in the U.S. it is debatable Confused

No they are not wording it as such, but...

The real answer by the way is that Christ has already won!
11/18/15 1:06 pm

Post Let me respond Could It Be True
Eddie Robbins wrote:
http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com/2015/11/17/3-facts-about-syrian-refugee-situation-that-some-christians-overlook/

I read the linked article. Here is how I would respond:

Our own FBI Director has stated publically that we are not able to properly vet these refugees.

If you believe the stat that only 2% of the Syrian refuges are military aged men with no families then you have to believe that the State Dept. would not fudge the figures.

Whether or not these military aged men have families is irrelevant. Reports are that the wife of the Paris mastermind was also a suicide bomber. I would like to see the total percentage of these refugees that are military aged men.

Even if it's true that the vast majority of refugees who have been and are being considered by the United States do not fit what someone might consider a suspicious demographic profile it's always the minority that you have to worry about. I'm willing to turn away the majority to keep us safe from the minority.

If this resettlement program is so wonderful and above board why is the Obama Administration bypassing state leaders? Most of these governors that are now saying they won't allow Syrian refugees in their states are just now realizing many are already there. They were given no notice from the Administration what was happening.

There is a plan that would keep these "refugees" safe that doesn't remove them from their homeland. It would require NATO to establish safe zones and no-fly zones. Obama won't pursue that option because he is hades bent on fundamentally changing the US. In order to do that he has to radically change the ethnic and religious demographics of the US. That is why he won't enforce the southern border. That is why he is so determined to resettle all these Muslims.

I don't agree with Trump on much. I think he is a democrat who is actually working for the Clintons. But I do agree that this whole refugee resettlement plan has the Trojan horse look to me.
11/18/15 1:11 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic