Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What happened to the healing evangelist

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What happened to the healing evangelist JLarry
I got pumped reading the thread about AA Alan.

Yesterday was my day off so I watched a few hours of video from days gone by. A.A. Alan, Jack Coe and Oral Roberts.

I well remember these days even though I did not know some of the greats in the day. While growing up I went to a few T.L. Lowery meetings and watched Oral Roberts on TV.

I read God's Generals. I cannot explain why some were so strange, even the author, but I have no doubt they were used of God.

They get much criticism on Actscelerate. Dont' quite understand that either.

If you were alive when Peter denied knowing Jesus or if you saw the disciple arguing over who would sit at Jesus' right side would you have attended their next Tent Crusade? Probably not.

I personally miss these times.

I do not understand why things seem to happen in cycles. Example the Brownsville Revival to me, was the greatest Christian event that I have experienced. Yet it came to a sudden close after a few years. And why Steve Hill died only a few years after the revival. Some, no many things I just do not understand.

And I will not understand in the by and by, because then it will not matter to me.

BTW, I am not so naive to realize there are fakes. I just stay away from those who I think to be fake.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
11/12/15 10:37 am

Post Cojak
You do have some valid points my friend. I do miss some of the things of the past in the church world also. In my case also, I miss the hoopla over SS every spring! with churches in competition, not fighting Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/12/15 11:37 am

Post Cojak
There were so many 'stories' surrounding the 'Healing Evangelist', I am sure every Pentecostal group had it's own 'local' evangelists that were known for the healings and miracles in their services.
NC had one I remember as a kid, "Perkins" I think I remember Him being the first I ever remember touting the 'perfect' life with no sickness. Sickness was of the devil. I believe several went that direction. (Perk learned the hard way that sickness can happen to us all).

I truly think that many folks were 'healed' from their own faith in some of these meetings. Faith has always been illusive for me to understand in REALITY.

In my dad's Georgia way of thinking he once told me, "Son it is like still-hunting, there are times you stare at a distant knot or bump on a tree thinking, that is a squirrel. But hours later you know it ain't one. BUT when you see that squirrel real, YOU KNOW IT INSTANTLY. One day son you will 'know' faith. when it is there, ain't no guessing nor straining, just a fact."
I have never known personal faith for a healing, but I remember Salvation. I do not remember the date, but I remember the time when I really had faith, and that was when I realized "GOD IS REAL" and I do have a SAVIOR.

So even if the evangelist at times wasn't what one thought, maybe their own FAith did the deed.

There was excitement though, at many 'Healing Revivals'. Cool
11/12/15 12:08 pm

Post JLarry
Quote:
So even if the evangelist at times wasn't what one thought, maybe their own FAith did the deed.

Well put my friend.

Acts Mod
11/12/15 1:03 pm

Post Link
Maybe that was a way God was moving in more back during a certain period of time. It could have had something to do with people praying more, too.

It may also be partly the case that Pentecostals get settled in to their traditions and doing church. The first and second generation of it may have been more zealous for spiritual gifts. Over time, it becomes a religious system. The same with the Charismatic movement.

Btw, there are lots of videos on YouTube of people who go out on the streets with little cameras and film themselves healing the sick and sometimes getting words of knowledge or prophecies for people. The Last reformation channel has lots of them made by a Danish guy who trains people around the world to do the same. There is a guy named Thomas Fisher who does street ministry. There are also Pete Cabrera videos, and many others.
11/12/15 4:28 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Didn't the healing evangelist disintegrate into the "knock people over evangelist".

Since the evangelist had God's power (demonstrated by you falling down when he prayed for you) - you were healed if your faith allowed it - and not healed if your faith didn't allow it.

But - the evangelist had the power - it was totally your fault if you were not healed.

I think folks just got tired of playing the game. It got old.
11/12/15 6:02 pm

Post NB JLarry
Falling down "under the power" does not impress me or depress me.

I care about results. I have no idea how to measure results of falling. On the other hand I do not mind if folks fall. Some think they need to, somehow it means more to them. Simply does not matter to me.

Acts Mod
11/12/15 6:23 pm

Post Re: What happened to the healing evangelist Old Time Country Preacher
JLarry wrote:
They get much criticism on Actscelerate. Dont' quite understand that either.

The only criticism given by the old timer is when these fellers leave the safe parameters of the good Book.
Acts-pert Poster
11/12/15 6:43 pm

Post Link
Street healing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOCE--KFaVw
11/14/15 3:21 am

Post Cojak
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Didn't the healing evangelist disintegrate into the "knock people over evangelist".

It is embarrassing I think, but there is a lot of truth in the above statement. I did not see that in our local COG growing up, but I did see it at Camp Meetings and some 'cooperative' revivals.

When the 'true miracles' slowed (?) some ministers still needed to show the 'POWER' and fell into this 'new' (but old) blessing of 'falling out'.

It was much later that I started hearing of 'courtesy drops'. I do not want to be sacrilegious, because I do think in this day and time it can and does still happen, but not in the mass 'silly' methods of blowing or waving people down.

Now back to the miracles. It has been mentioned many times of the lack of medical help available in the 20's to the 50's. Most of our people (COG) could not afford Doctors, insurance was non existent in laborers. They felt a HEAVY DEPENDENCE ON GOD for their health.Only one time in my family did anyone go to a doctor as far back as I can remember. Dad and mama prayed over us kids when we were sick. We were healed at times but not always. Sometimes we suffered thru it.

But dependence on God because many time Doctors were out of the question did (IMHO) produce MANY miracles. Cool
11/15/15 11:41 am

Post The Gift of healing. 4golf
I never understand people who say they have the gift of healing, yet use it in dead and dry churches! I prayed to God if He gave me the gift of healing, I would not waist in a dead dryed up church, but the First place I would go to would be Childrens' Health Care in Atlanta and I would do my best to bankrupt that place! I know they do a lot of great things and God has Blessed doctors with their knowledge. I asked a quote un-quote healing Evanglist why he wasted the gift he said he had in dead dryed up churches full of religious people and he looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights of a car being spot lighted! Accorse there is a lot I would do that a lot in the church wouldn't do!
11/15/15 8:40 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic